Bringing our 18 month old on carnival magic! Any advice?????

rosarodriguez

In my opinion and experience, seeing your kids have fun on their cruise is the very best part of the whole cruise itself. I can still picture both of my girls faces as they see the ship for the very first time on each cruise... Priceless!!

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!! We sailed with our 2 year old in September, and while it was a different cruise than ones before, it was BY FAR the most fun! And he still talks about getting on "His Big Boat"

My dots are connected, but yours is still a bit off. What we are saying is why pay big bucks for a cruise, pay full price for the child, not relaxing, working the cruise experience into revolving around naps, feedings, etc.

Why are you worried about how someone else spends they money? On a carnival ship, 3rd person in a cabin is NOT full price, and was WELL WORTH the money we payed to have our 2 year old with us.

It was a VERY relaxing vacation, we napped when he did, and slept more on the ship than we ever do at home, didn't work a second as spending time with our kids is what we WANT to do, not a job, and most of the tasks were gladly taken by cruise staff who WANTED to and clearly enjoyed doting on and playing with him.

This has nothing to do with dots, and everything to do with YOU projecting your OWN desires on someone else who intends to enjoy a cruise with their kids. BRAVO TO THEM!!! and BOO TO YOU.

Couldn't agree more. Our son LOVED his first cruise; he was about that age. We are now planning our 6th! Take a look at our first review in my signature, it has pictures and a timeline of activities we participated in on our first cruise. On the Conquest, but still relates.

Awesome reviews! Thanks so much

We cruised with our son at 2.5 and had an amazing time. It's a fantastic vacation with small kids because moms actually get a real break. (Compare to a beach house rental where you're still cooking and cleaning all week!)

Bring plenty of diapers and wipes

Bring some laundry detergent and plan to run a load or two midweek -- beats packing for several clothing changes every day!

Get a balcony cabin if you can -- great to Relax out there while kiddo is sleeping

Hats and sunblock!!!

Remember everything is fun to an 18 month old. Go for a ride in the glass elevator! Climb on all the lounges in a row!

The MDR is easier than the buffet because they bring the food to you!

Have fun!

My cruises always revolve around naps and feeding (no matter the age of the passenger). I still have to laugh after taking our two boys on two cruises before age ten, one came home from school one day and a classmate had just returned from Disneyland. Our son says, "we never get to go anywhere."

Last October we cruised with my two sons (4 & 12 months at the time) together with my brother his family (8, 6, 3 year olds).

It was a blast! The kids were spoiled by the crew all week. We ate in the MDR every night together at a big table and not once did we have melt-downs or cause trouble. In fact the tables around us commented quite frequently on how well the kids did. And I credit my wife for this.

Before we left on the cruise she prepared 10 gallon sized zip lock bags with various themed "quite" toys to entertain the kids as needed before, during, or after the meal. So one bag was "dinosaur" with small dinosaur toys, stickers, coloring book, crayons, Another one was "cars" etc... She would bring a new bag or two each night in a small backpack, that way it was something new and different each night.

She spent quite a bit of time putting it all together but it was a HUGE help as we enjoyed the MDR.

Yes.

Just because some of us can't quite grasp why people take small children, doesn't mean we are cold people. It's we don't see how full enjoyment from a cruise is complete when all the time is spent revolving around a child who isn't going to remember it anyway.

Thanks Boss. My point exactly.

Edited by golfb4cruzing

Where is the like button?

Try understanding that your way of seeing the world is not everyone else's way of seeing it. I find it comforting and enjoyable to have my wife and on with me together. While there are perks to being kid free on a vacation, if given the choice, we would chose to bring him 95% of the time.

If that is not for you, fine, but to say everyone should abide by your way of seeing things is just insulting.

I happen to feel that families don't spend ENOUGH time with their kids and should bring their kids more often than not. Perhaps if the parents could stop being so selfish, and look up from their phones occasionally, the kids wouldn't be so misbehaved on a cruise.

am I going to ridicule you for choosing to leave your children behind while you get away…no…but do you see how it could be a two way street?

I made a personal decision to wait until my youngest was at least 5 before I took the kids on their first cruise. That was my decision. Not everyone is the same. It's not on me to call into question why someone chooses to bring their kids. It's their business just as much as every other choice they make about the cruising experience. They don't have to justify a thing to anyone on this board or elsewhere. Even before I had children or didn't take them with us, I never had a problem with anybody's kids onboard. They have a right to be there whether I think it's a good idea or not. Yeah they might cry. Aren't they supposed to? And the idea that they won't remember is irrelevant. My parents took us on vacations and did lots of other things for us that we don't remember. But they share the memories through stories and pics. And that makes us feel good.

You'll get even more tips on the family board OP. But you've already got alot of the ones I would give: bring extra everything, an umbrella stroller, tylenol, gas drops, etc. and have a good time.

Technically yes. Carnival offers it at a very limited capacity.

After 10 PM on sea days.

Until 12 PM on port days.

That's nothing.

RCCL and Disney are all day, with activities, feeding, etc...

Fee yes but we happily paid it :)

Yes Royal and Disney has a much better babysitting plan. But if you're going to leave them there all day or half the day, why bring them? Plus I would rather feed my own baby. I have alot of hangups. Guess that's why I waited until they were a bit older. ;)

Reading skills are lacking here. Where did I say to leave your kids home?? I don't care if you bring them or not, it's your vacation and money. I just wanted to know why you bring young ones. Stop being keyboard commandos.

You certainly implied it here, in your first post in this thread:

I am amazed at folks bringing small kids on cruises? Why are they included? I remember when I was 2, the greatest vacation...that doesn't sounds logical. Maybe no one to watch your kid? It's probably just me but I don't get it. Wait till 5 or 6 then they can appreciate it.
Edited by irishnyc

We're leaving this weekend with our 18 month old. Will it be the same as the cruises before kids? No, definitely not. Is it better than working+cooking dinner for a week? Can't see why it won't be.

I think the most important thing will be to bring realistic expectations. We know we will be in the cabin more than we used to, so we went with a balcony cabin. I am bringing a baby monitor and plan on using that so I can read on the balcony while he naps.

We bought an inflatable tub to use as a splash pool on the balcony and also to use for baths. We booked the most kid-friendly (AKA short, with easy departure if he's not cooperative) excursions they offered. We bought an umbrella stroller and plan on walking around the ship frequently. We are bringing the umbrella stroller to dinner and if he starts getting fussy we will take him out until the food is brought in. My Husband and I will alternate nights to take care of the LO in the MDR. We know that the MDR is likely to not be an option with a toddler so we're prepared to go to the buffet if he doesn't handle it well. Instead of a shoulder diaper bag we are bringing backpacks. It seems easier to hold our stuff in a backpack.

We're sailing with family (my parents, and my sister+her family) so we will have backup babysitters so my H and I can "go out" one night to celebrate my H's birthday. I am happy to have family in the cabins next to us, especially since this is our first big trip with the LO.

I am amazed at folks bringing small kids on cruises? Why are they included? I remember when I was 2, the greatest vacation...that doesn't sounds logical. Maybe no one to watch your kid? It's probably just me but I don't get it. Wait till 5 or 6 then they can appreciate it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you aren't a parent....what the hell. Why would you expect someone to leave their family at home. Sure, some people do it, but a lot of people want their children there. We are getting married on the Glory next year and will be bringing our 16 month old. I can't wait to see the look on his face. Kids are extremely curious and I know he will enjoy all of the new sights.

ETA: I see you are a parent.... I still don't understand why it would upset you that other people do choose to bring their children.

Edited by xpromise1thingx

I wish we had taken our kids earlier. As it is they were aged 3 to 13 on their first cruise. We have taken 5 family cruises in 10 years and now we can barely get them all together anymore! Wish we had done more cruises and started years earlier!

We are bringing our 18 month old on carnival magic in May. My husband and I have taken 4 cruises together and we absolutely love them. This will be our first with our son! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Enjoy your first cruise as a family! There is no such thing as kids under ... age should not travel. Those days were long gone. The reason why I never got to travel with my parents because it was very different back then.

My daughter's first vacation was when she was 2.5 years old. It was a 18+ hour flight across the continents. However, she was doing so well on the flight. We used to do lot of road trips, so she got used to it.

My point being, you know your child - what he likes and doesn't like, so you can figure out where to take or not to take him for his best interests. Just take it easy and relax. Don't try to do too much.

Life is too short to hold back, enjoy while you can. Happy cruising!

Why are kids included? Because they're part of our family. I could not imagine getting on a ship for more than a few hours without my child, nor leaving the country, on a ship or a plane, nor would I request anyone watch my young child for more than a night or two. The memories we create with our children belong to us as parents just as much as to our children. Take your judgement elsewhere, grump.

My daughter will be 2 is Feb. and she has been on 2 cruise already. 1 at about 8 months and another at 11 months. And she is booked on another this March and October. Both times we had a great time. I was lover of cruises before i had my daughter and wasn't going to stop because she was now a part of the family. Our daughter does not spend the night with anyone but us. I am not judge anyone else's choice but that is how we run our family so i totally understand you choosing to take your 18th month old with you.

I would recommend going on the family board. They have a lot of great recommendations. I say bring extra diapers and wipes. Keep track of what you usually use in a week and bring about 15 more then that. just in case. I brought disposable bibs, spoons, squeeze pouch foods (for snacks when on excursions and such). Buy those bags that you can put sticky diapers in. Bring a few toys to play with in the stateroom and dinning room. It's a different experience then cruising pre-kids but I still love it and I will keep on booking

why are kids included? Because they're part of our family. I could not imagine getting on a ship for more than a few hours without my child, nor leaving the country, on a ship or a plane, nor would i request anyone watch my young child for more than a night or two. The memories we create with our children belong to us as parents just as much as to our children. Take your judgement elsewhere, grump.

amen!!!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you aren't a parent....what the hell. Why would you expect someone to leave their family at home. Sure, some people do it, but a lot of people want their children there. We are getting married on the Glory next year and will be bringing our 16 month old. I can't wait to see the look on his face. Kids are extremely curious and I know he will enjoy all of the new sights.

ETA: I see you are a parent.... I still don't understand why it would upset you that other people do choose to bring their children.

Nobody is "upset" about bringing toddlers. A question about bringing small children was just that, a question. You must remember this is a question from "another generation", as I am. The younger generation is more "into" this type of vacation. As being from the older generation, this is something we did not see when our kids were small. Please take this into consideration before you continue to bash those of us with other thoughts.

Some of the comments here are quite rude.

Clearly all the Moms are replying. It must be a nurturing thing. Devil advocate here: NORO. Do you wipe them down with sanitizer? Their immune systems are more fragile? Or us older adults subjected to soiled diapers. I know you never would but you aren't everyone. Same diaper issue on Hal only a geriatric variety.

We have learned to always take our kids (now 10 and 8) to the buffet on the first night of the cruise instead of the MDR for dinner. They seem to be tired the first night from all of the excitement of beginning their vacation.