Choosing between Princess Grill and Sheltered Balcony

bananavan

I did my first sheltered balcony in Dec this year after doing most trips in the grills and really wasn't keen on it. It was only a short trip, so thought it might be worth trying. I really do prefer having a plexi glass balcony. I'm only 5'2" and found I could only just see out as the balcony came to shoulder height. I could only look left and right if I stood on the ledge under the balcony to give me more height which I know I shouldn't do but needs must!

On the QM2, I do not like the Grills restaurants at all - compared with the QV/QE they are vastly inferior in position (food is still the same though). I really hate QM2 QG as we always get a bad table for 2. These are the ones lined up in a run of about 6 behind a waiters station on the left hand side by the window and feel like a very long table of 12 with very little space between them. The QM2 PG was much better in comparison as the twos tend to only have 1 table next to it, not lots. I also prefer the location of the PG cabins on Deck 10, compared to Deck 9 QG as the lifeboats feel so close on deck 9 and are very orange.

Your decision but I feel you will benefit from PG more than a sheltered balcony. You can at least sit out sailing into/out of a fjord without having to stand up constantly. The weather can be lovely as we went in June and had 5 out of 7 days of glorious weather.

We had no problem getting a table change in Q-Grill. We started with lunch after boarding. Right next to the waiter station. Way too noisy. A quick talk with Osman & we got a nice table for 2. The next day Osman offered a table next to the window(right after you walk in, on the left)Turned out tis table belonged to the Balmoral suite. The person never showed for the trip. It was a great location. Private, yet close enough to chat with your neighbors.

I didn't realise that the Grills was filled with paupers whilst billionaires roam the Britannia Restaurant. The things you learn on here. :eek:

More interesting people in Britannia? I don't see how anyone can make that claim, or even suggest it. It's pure luck who you find at your table, doesn't matter whether you're in Britannia or the Grills.

Some of the funniest pax I ever met were in the Grills. This one gent(back in 2010 looked like Jackie Mason. God was he funny)My mother's friend who sailed with us is worth quite a bit "north" of 10mill. That being said, she was quite comfortable in Britannia. We did "sneak" her with us several times to have tea in the Queens Grill Lounge. She certainly thought the quality was far superior to the Queens Room tea service.

• 1 month later...

PG. For sure. I've done PG and QG TA and preferred PG. Room a bit smaller, preferred deck 10' as Whitemarsh noted. Also there are less PG passengers and restaurant is more spacious and food is almost identical.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Worth It! Awesome afternoon tea, lots of room, great balcony, private sun deck, dine when you want, special concerts in the lounge, have your dessert lit on fire every night, and most importantly, no Pol Acker:eek:

We love PG, but a full bottle of Pol Acker is provided. The Britannia passengers are promised a half bottle but may get a full bottle. If you are a member of the Cunard World Club they will give you a second bottle. The two times we were in QG we noticed that, in addition to the welcome bottle of Champagne, the club still sends you the Pol Acker.:( Yes, it is a nice gesture to have something bubbly provided free and no-one is forced to drink it, but with all the decent cheap fizz available I don't understand why they keep providing the P.A.

Thank you all for your replies.

We chose Princess Grill and are waiting for stateroom assignment.

As for the Pol Acker, is there any chance that it can be traded in for a regular white or red?

It sounds as if we will get three bottles, one for being PG, one for being Cunard Club and one for using Amex Platinum. Oh, that this could be true for all three legs of this journey. :D (I know it will not, just as we will not move up in Cunard Club status after the first crossing, nor the Norwegian part, nor the return. )

Come on May, I want to sail.

• 3 months later...

Well we are home. Was it worth it?

OH YES.

We are converted. Grills or nothing.

So the kids will have a little less to spend on the spread for our wakes. :D That will just mean less organizing for them.

When I have more time I will elaborate.

Thanks to all for the input.

Well we are home. Was it worth it?

OH YES.

We are converted. Grills or nothing.

So the kids will have a little less to spend on the spread for our wakes. :D That will just mean less organizing for them.

When I have more time I will elaborate.

Thanks to all for the input.

So glad you enjoyed the trip. As you will see I live in Port Charlotte (Britannia rather than the Grills - joke, which only someone who lives here will know). I had hoped you were doing the July "Grand Voyage cruise, as I would have liked to meet you.

May I ask that you reply in a private e mail to rafex1@centurylink.net,.

Where in Wales did you originate.?

Like you I emigrated, after many "adventures" including living in other places and countries, but I started life in Mountain Ash, the other side of the mountain to Merthyr Tydfil.,-I would like in particular to know how you enjoyed Stanvanger. Normally I do not go ashore, but hope to do the coach tour without walking.

Thank you .

Lynn

Lynn,

I will contact you by email and perhaps we can have a telephone conversation this week. We are in the throes of extreme rush right now but I promise you that I will contact you.

My family is from Cwmfellin. I was raised in Wattsville before we left Wales. Mountain Ash is right around the corner. ;-)

For Stavanger I suggest the cruise to Pulpit rock. I booked it privately but if I were traveling alone, I would use the one from the ship.

I realize that this seems to be a bit of a strange choice, truly a first world problem.

I booked a Sheltered balcony Guarantee for the 28 day Norwegian Grand Voyage.

Just before Christmas I snapped up a Princess Grill 2 Guarantee.

The price difference is $120 per person per day.

We sailed on QM2 in a sheltered balcony on a Transatlantic and it was perfectly fine. The food in Britannia left a lot to be desired but we had decided that for this upcoming cruise we would use the Alternate restaurants instead. The Chef's Galley is wonderful and we also thought that we would enjoy Todd English a few times.

Now for those who might have been in both classes of cabin, is the difference worth the upcharge of $120 pp pd? The cost difference would allow for another cruise somewhere later in the year.

I thank you in advance.

For the room size difference(yes, you do get a tub!)& the food quality I'd go with the P-2. You may even get upgraded to a Queens suite.

Thank you all for your replies.

We chose Princess Grill and are waiting for stateroom assignment.

As for the Pol Acker, is there any chance that it can be traded in for a regular white or red?

It sounds as if we will get three bottles, one for being PG, one for being Cunard Club and one for using Amex Platinum. Oh, that this could be true for all three legs of this journey. :D (I know it will not, just as we will not move up in Cunard Club status after the first crossing, nor the Norwegian part, nor the return. )

Come on May, I want to sail.

Well, now... Sniff, sniff... I was PG, World Club, AND Business Platinum... I didn't get three bottles!! I did get chocolate covered strawberries from Amex, though... :-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, do not feel so badly.

We got no bottle from Amex nor did we get the strawberries.

We mistakenly received a bottle of Pol Acker on the second of the three legs.

I wish that I had printed out the benefits for Amex.

I had printed out the OBC from my Travel agent. It was a considerable amount, 10% of my cost. I had to prove my eligibility for it with the copy of my transaction. It took three days but it finally went through.

The area that was unpleasant for us was the gratuities included part. Cunard is still advertising this as part of the deal. We were most pleased with this. We also gave individual tips to those who had been so incredibly wonderful with us. I did not feel that this was well received, to be honest. I am not sure if the staff is aware that the tipping is included and perhaps think that the guest is being cheap. I know others who did not give any extra and others who removed the tipping.

Well, Bananavan, sounds like you had a great voyage anyway! I'm traveling again July 6, in regular Britannia - only PG and QG until now... Guess I'll really be able to compare ALL classes by the time I am done! I'll be returning on the 21st in Britannia Club. I did have the opportunity of upgrading for the July 6 crossing to PG for a additional $6,000+ but decided to see if I ended up with a complimentary upgrade... We'll see! My biggest interest, besides the ship itself, is ballroom dancing. Just wish I could know ahead of time if there will be any American style dance hosts... My feet get hurt we International Style... ;-)

Well, Bananavan, sounds like you had a great voyage anyway! I'm traveling again July 6, in regular Britannia - only PG and QG until now... Guess I'll really be able to compare ALL classes by the time I am done! I'll be returning on the 21st in Britannia Club. I did have the opportunity of upgrading for the July 6 crossing to PG for a additional $6,000+ but decided to see if I ended up with a complimentary upgrade... We'll see! My biggest interest, besides the ship itself, is ballroom dancing. Just wish I could know ahead of time if there will be any American style dance hosts... My feet get hurt we International Style... ;-)

Will you be joining the roll call for your trip? We are few in number at present, and everyone is welcome.

Hope to see you in the Commodore Club Room on the first sea day, time not yet decided, since Cunard are not involved it is just an informal gathering of "like " passengers who feel compelled to visit this board.

Lynn

My biggest interest, besides the ship itself, is ballroom dancing. Just wish I could know ahead of time if there will be any American style dance hosts... My feet get hurt we International Style... ;-)

I hope you have a great time dancing. In my experience, at least half of the hosts are American. The most I have ever had on a cruise was two British hosts. On my last cruise it was one International to three American-style.

Sheltered balcony all of the way. Main facilities are the same, food source is the same, general supports are all the same. Of course, the "feeling of status" will be different but often those with the oldest and most insignificant cars are those with no debt and plenty of capital put aside. Bank the difference and invest it allowing the dividends to support future holidays. Enjoy the decks, thrive on the variety of people and be thankful for the ability to enjoy the QM2 in your own way.

We chose PG.

According to the head chef, the food facilities are not the same and my palate can tell you that is correct. The service was second to none. The Concierge lounge is a lovely haven. Being able to eat a quiet lunch in the Grills dining room was appreciated. Having the staff know your food

preferences is also great.

For any one in a similar position to me, cheap as all getout but able to afford the pleasure, I suggest PG.

It is all a question of how you wish to spend the kid's inheritance. :D Ours will do OK.

We felt like we were on a small ship. The extra space for the 28 days was wonderful. All balconies are pretty useless for the Transatlantic portion but the space in the stateroom was welcome.

It was nice to meet you, Bananavan, on both the eastbound and westbound crossings. We love travelling in Princess Grill and have twice been upgraded to Queens Grill which was a real treat. But we are no strangers to travelling in Tourist Class, as it was then called, on older ships such as the QE2.

On the 16 May crossing we travelled in PG which we booked 11 months in advance on a cruise aboard the QE. Originally we intended on flying home from England to Toronto as we usually do. Considering the 5 June w/b from Southampton was making a call in Halifax, we changed our mind and booked that crossing, getting permission (eventually) from Cunard to disembark in Halifax. The Grills were sold out seven months in advance, so we booked an obstructed view Britannia balcony at a very good rate. I'm not ashamed to admit that, financially, it was a blessing that the Grills were sold out.

Did we miss the PG amenities on the return crossing? Of course, but despite that we had a great time. Would I do it again? Definitely! It's easy to be spoiled, but Britannia on the QM2 is vastly superior to the equivalent on the QE2, a ship that will always occupy a fond spot in my memory.

Jimsgirl, speaking of OBCs (which you weren't), have you read Post #34 here?

I explained in a post which seems to have gone into outer space, that I left the WAAF in l948, 66 years ago, and having made about 50 moves since then (some to places I would never want to live in again) I have long lost any paperwork. However I do thank you for your concern, it is not getting a bargain in fare that annoys me, it is when Cunard give not only a break on the fare, but they also give OBC to the newcomer (when having booked at full fare - often same price as if I were a couple I get no perks) but then Cunard rub salt into the wound by giving the "wonderful deal newbie" in the next cabin an upgrade from inside to Princess Grill!. Leaving myself a FULL price Diamond member "out in the old"

Recently I had the experience of learning that having paid full 200% price for May 3 2015 cruise, the price with 11 months still to go, had been reduced by 50%. (this thanks to a fellow CC member). When my agent asked Cunard re the new price, they denied it over and over again for 2 days. It was only when very annoyed I said "Cancel my booking" did Cunard staff admit that the price had gone down.

Why the lies? Who knows - only Cunard and they are silent

I explained in a post which seems to have gone into outer space, that I left the WAAF in l948, 66 years ago, and having made about 50 moves since then (some to places I would never want to live in again) I have long lost any paperwork. ...
That may be, but Cunard owes you quite a bit of reasonable attention. Give them a call at 1-800-728-6273. Nothing to lose and, who knows, some brighter-than-most light there just might realize what a good thing for Cunard it would be to acknowledge your service.

I hope you have a great time dancing. In my experience, at least half of the hosts are American. The most I have ever had on a cruise was two British hosts. On my last cruise it was one International to three American-style.

Oh, I hope so!!!! The Christmas cruise had 4 International and 2 American...