Stacey's semi live Epic Blog!( A solo Female perspective)

sunbird21

Hi all,

well, I am attempting to do a semi- live blog of my Epic trip this week( semi b/c obviously I will not be able to post while at sea)!

Anyway,some background on me...I am a solo female traveler, in my mid thirties, and this will be my second Epic cruise. I traveled on the Epic first in May, on the Western Mediterranean route,and loved it so much that I booked it for the Caribbean! One downfall of the European route is that you dont get as much time on the ship,since it is a port intensive cruise, but I would still recommend it,since the ports are amazing!

This is me...ybe5ujus.jpg

The first couple of posts will be pre-cruise, as it is Thursday, and the ship leaves Saturday.

At this time, I am at my local airport,in Hartford,CT, sipping on a pre flight cocktail awaiting my flight to Miami.

Some behind the scenes prepartion..i have been pretty active on my roll call, and am actually organizing two meet and greets, a slot pull, cabin crawl, and meeting at the martini tasting. To book the “formal “ meet and greet for your cruise, just have someone contact NCL and set it up. Its usually at 11 on the first sea day,and the officers come and they usuallyserve pastries and coffee. I know some others have activites planned at the meet and greet,like icebreakers, but im keeping everything pretty low key. So far, over 50 people signed up off of my roll call,so hopefully we get a good turn out!

For myself, I have of course followed caribbean based reviews on the boards,and I have a PCC whonis pretty in touch with me on things. She is great,she has given me honest recommendations on when to book certain things,and even kept a look out for me for balcony upgrades( unfortunately prices never dropped to what I would have paid). When prices dropped beyond the final payment date, she was able to secure me a pretty decent OBC and an extra bottle of wine.

Since im solo,inwill be in the studios..I am actually in the same cabin that I was in in Europe!i really liked the cabins and the studio lounge before. I dont know if the solo director has changed,will be interesting to see.

I prepaid my gratuites,as it would take pretty bad service for me NOT to pay,and also prepurchased the UBP. No, I am not a lush,but I am taking this cruise for my birthday on Tuesday, and really just want to relax and enjoy the ship on this trip. I have spent about $300 before for 5 day cruises,so we'll see how close to even I break. One factor that will help me is the fact that it does include sodas, as I am a big sida drinker.

I also pre booked Cirque Dreams, as this is one acticity I missed last time, and I had only a few days I wanted to do this on this week. It also looked like it was booking up quickly on this cruise,. On the med cruise, activities and specialty dining was pretty open, but In guessing the port insensitivity limited peoples on board activities a bit.

So, between those being prepaid, the OBC I have, and the OBC that I know im getting as bday gifts,hopefully my sail and sign acct will be low at the end of the week! (Yes, I am a previous Carnival cruiser).

Ok, with all of that boring info out of the way...time to head to the gate! Next post will be Miami based!

Stacey3umypana.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And now for some boarding drama...

I arrived at my gate just as they were calling for first class,etc. then, they made a call I never heard....

" to anyone with just one bag that fits under the seat in front, you can board now, regardless of group."

I've never seen so many people fly to the front, with full size cartons, purses, shopping bags,duffels,etcetera. Supposedly these all magically will fit under the 6 inch space under the seat in front.

Then I got a surprise as I was boarding, correctly with my group. My mobile boarding pass didn't work, and the fate agent fave me another one,saying that he moved me a few rows up to a window seat. I had booked an aisle, but whatever... At least it wasn't a middle.

Then I get on the plane and of course find a guy in my new seat. I confirmed that he was in 25A, and he said, yeah, this is my seat.

Of course, someone else was in my original seat. So I crawled to the back, told the FA of my dilemma, and she quickly researched and found out that the guy in 25A wasn't supposed to be there. Supposedly he was just "holding" the seat for me@@@@

So of course u had to crawl through an aisle full if ppl to get back to my seat...

Oh well,.its a two and a half hr flight...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I survived the flight,once I got settled into my seat it wasn't too bad....here I must confess,despite having traveled/flown dozens of times,including TA and TP flights....I have severe flight anxiety,to the point where I need some medication. So,with my mess,I was able to actually nap for the first 90 minutes. Upon awakening, I did splurge the $5 for Gogo inflight wifi. However,this time it did let me down,as the connective ability was minimal to non existent. Otherwise,that was the only minor issue I had. Fellow passengers were pretty low key,FA's seemed pleasant,although my nap did occur during drink service(which is why I usually bring a bottle of water on board,so as not to be tied to when they serve.

One advantage of the window was seeing the beautiful sunset over the coastline. I even snapped a picture of an unusual looking setting sun...an orange ball in the midst of a black,starry sky. It may be the moon with some sun reflection on it,not sure...astronomy is not my strong suit...but regardless,it was a pretty sight.

Now we are in final descent,so I'll wrap up before I get the shut down call....

Next test...I prearranged super shuttle for transport to my downtown hotel. Although my hotel is nearby the people mover,and I understand transport is fairly easy via metro rail and such, I decided with my practically overweight suitcase and late hour,I would spring for the shared transport. BTW,for those traveling before March, if you go online,you can get a 10% discount on this service,so it was only $13.50. Not bad for door to door service.

Well see how easy they are to meet!

Next stop...my somewhat extravagant splurge hotel....crossing my fingers for a bay view room! No big deal if it doesn't work,just a long shot request.

Ooh...looking down at Florida below...hello,semi warm weather and land of no snow,sleet,subzero temps.....so nice to see you!

Stacey

Once the plane landed, my favorite part of the flight began...the ritual of fellow passengers bonding in the aisle for one last chance of togetherness. As I was in the window seat,it took me awhile to become part of this process,as people behind me were propelled by some mysterious force that pushed them to the front of the aisles, while those in windows seats remained captive until the aisle was free.

After I was off e plane, I found the baggage claim easily,as well as signs for the MIA mover,had I chosen to use that transport route. However, I was thankful for the Supershuttle,as it was late and I was tired after the flight.

Sure enough,once I retrieved my luggage, I found the Supershuttle blue kiosks easily...they are outside the baggage claim,and there is a kiosk every 100 ft or so. They had my reservation, and I was on a shuttle within 10 minutes.

My hotel, the Doubletree Grand Biscayne Bay, was the second stop,right next door to the Mariott. It is quite elegant looking....u9a6aven.jpg

Unfortunately, upon check in,there were no port view rooms available :(. I was told to try again in the morning.

My room was very nice,even with its view of shrubbery LOL...abebazy4.jpg

temyzu9y.jpg

In my fatigue, i was still a bit hungry, so I decided to go exploring. I found the rooftop pool and jacuzzi,

a rooftop bar..closed of course.

ubyze8uj.jpg

hupegyzu.jpg

Inside was a business center...me9yva4a.jpg

and a random sitting area outside the business center with a piano.unuzy4uv.jpg

Then it was off to the main lobby,where I found Primo's, an Italian restaurant,where I eventually ate. Working my way back there was a dry cleaners, a sundries shop, a spa,a mailing shop,shoe store,another bar, a mini grocery store selling bottles of wine in travel and full sizes, cheeses, meats,eggs,milk,sodas,etc. They even had a deli/pastry counter,where supposedly they sell a limited line of Starbucks products. There are also some sundries here. Attached is another full blown liquor store. Finally, at the back, there’s a steakhouse( this one supposedly is responsible for room service) and a Chinese restaurant. I know that there is also a seafood restaurant somewhere, but I didn’t see it.

In other words, if you pick this hotel the night before a cruise, and have no time to pick up last minute items before the cruise, you're pretty good to go here.

After exploring, I headed back to Primos,where i had a lasagna(very good) and I took my dessert, chocolate souffle, back to my room. I was fading fast at this point!

Once in my room, I found that there were no garbage cans?!?! a quick call to the front desk took care of this.

I also discovered that the wifi was NOT free, it is $9.95 a day. Oh well.

I didn’t even make it through my souffle before I collapsed onto one of the beds and was out for the night!

Great timing!! While I have cruised solo (female) several times on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Holland America, I have never been on a Norwegian ship and am currently contemplating booking Getaway (or possibly Epic) for this spring and can't wait to hear your perspective on Epic.

Last week Gonzalo was the Solo cruise co-ordinator. Young guy from Spain. Wasn't a very big group of us that met in the evenings on my cruise. Maybe because many of them seemed old..older than me even. lol

Hope you have a great cruise!

I woke up around 8 this morning and decided I couldn't sleep anymore,even though I didn't really have much planned for today.....looking back,that was a laugh!

I went down to the front desk to do my begging for a bay view room,even offered to pay the upcharge(well,depending on what it was). The girl at the front desk said everything was completely sold out,but she offered to call me if there was a cancellation. So, I went to the grocery store/deli/restaurant and got a Starbucks and a muffin( they have basic Starbucks coffee,cafe mocha/latte, no fancier Starbucks drinks like peppermint mocha,caramel macchiato). I walked outside the back of the mall,where there was a marina, and ate my breakfast in the sun....something I haven't felt in about 4 months.

I went upstairs to get ready to go to the gym for a bit,and lo and behold, my hotel phone rang. It was the girl from the front desk! There weren't any port view rooms but they had one with a balcony and a partial bayview, no upcharge. I took it gratefully! Since it wasn't ready yet, I headed to the gym, which has large floor to ceiling windows facing the bay.

Upon my return, I moved my things to my wonderful new room. It was just in time,as they were apparently doing construction on several rooms in my original hall,so I avoided that whole noise factor!

So here are some pics of my new room...same set up,only with a king bed,bathtub ravusa9e.jpg

and a balcony!!! 4avy6yhe.jpg

eve9y7ah.jpg

I stepped onto the balcony long enough to figure that I would probably still need my jeans for today....of course that's the ONE item I brought only one of, thinking I would only need them for the flights to/from home!

Since one of my major tasks for the day was to find a swimsuit, I asked the front desk where the Marshall's,Ross,Target store complex was that a fellow Supershuttle rider told me about last night. Turns out it wasn't within walking distance, but there is a free trolley that goes around downtown.

For those staying at the Hilton,Doubletree or Marriott, you have to walk down to Biscayne Blvd,almost in front of the Hilton,and get on the midtown trolley. The outdoor shopping area is called Miami Midtown(different direction than Bayside Marketplace) and has the three above mentioned stores plus several others over a 2 block radius.

Swimsuit shopping...the bane of any woman's existence who is not a size 2... This took the next few hours,but I finally picked out two that looked okay at Marshall's. I also got a few last minute items at Target.

By that time,my feet were beginning to hurt a little,so the taxi driver immediately outside Marshall's just looked a little too tempting vs walking back to the trolley stop. $10 later($8 something plus tip) I was back at the Doubletree,dropping off my purchases and exchanging shoes.

I love the front desk staff at the Doubletree. I must have asked them a zillion questions on where to find this store or that, but they were always polite and friendly. Then again,maybe it's just b/c I'm not around Connecticut people.....

(sorry, personal annoyances slipping out).

Anyway, I walked to the people mover,which is a 3 minute walk around the corner to the Omni station. The tram is two cars long and is pretty much standing room only. There are two seat at the back,but that's about it.

It was about 10 minutes to the College/Bayside station,where you get off for Bayside Marketplace. Now,my purchases were theoretically complete, so I just wanted to check the place out. Exiting the station, make a right and it's about a block away...follow the sounds of music,and you are in the right direction.

BTW I passed the Holiday Inn Port of Miami...it's about 5-6 stories,basic looking but it faces the entrance to Bayside.

Here is the entrance to Bayside...una8y7ub.jpg

Bubba Gumps extends for a while,complete with a store and bar.

A few other pics around Bayside...several waterfront bars circling the marina,a small outdoor pavilion with musicians playing, an entrance to the charter cruises and water taxis( I know one of these can take you to South Beach) and a very nice view of the Port of Miami. It was about 330 when I was there,so I saw an RCCL and Carnival ship pulling out of port!

a4yzy3ej.jpg

repy8u7e.jpg

e6e8uguq.jpg

I considered stopping at one of the bars,but by this time it was getting chilly,at least without a jacket...and the only coat I had with me is a winter peacoat( again for the flight). I did stop and donate some money to the chair massage kiosk, which was actually a pretty decent massage for a chairside service.

At this point, I'm beginning to assume that it's going to be a bit cool on the ship in port tomorrow,and I wanted to find a light pullover or hoodie to wear. I looked at a couple of tacky souvenir kiosks,in hopes of finding one that wasn't too touristy. No such luck. I was about to buy an overpriced sweater from Gap when I spotted Victorias Secret a few feet further,who happened to have a HUGE 50% off rack! Thanks to this,plus a birthday gift card they had sent,I got a respectable gray hoodie for $5 :))))

Now the sun was setting,so I headed back to the people mover and was back at the Doubletree by 6.

Photo of the people mover stop by above mentioned hotels....y2a6a3u4.jpg

My last task for the day was to get a pedicure...another female necessity! Yes,there is also a salon/spa inside the mini mall....

I was debating which restraint to go to for dinner...the seafood restaurant offers a free bottle of wine if you are staying in either the Doubletree or Marriott,but the menu wasn't doing anything for me.

Since I was beginning to get tired, I decided to head back to my room and go for room service and watch one of my favorite shows...yes,I'm a nerd. Here I am in a huge party city and I'm watching TV. Oh well, I figure I'll be lively the next seven nights!

I stayed at the hotel 2 years ago for the Epic and am thinking of returning if I go on the Getaway (can't decide whether to just to the Breakaway as NYC is a bus ride away)

I had a balcony that overlooked the marina and some bridges. I didn't eat at the restaurants but had Papa Johns pizza delivered both nights. I didn't really sea anything at Bayside so came back and did that.

One day I went on some boat tour around Miami and did Jungle Island the next. Although the Holiday Inn is closer to bayside and some things like CVS, the Doubletree was quite enjoyable

And here I am at the port, bright and early!!

I woke up early and took this pic from the pool deck....2epa7y9a.jpg

Epic is at the far left!

After getting breakfast and running to the gym one last time...>ehepere9.jpg

I headed to the front desk, where I stapled my luggage tags and got into a waiting taxi.

Yes, it's 9am. I'm bound and determined to get that damn Posh pass.

I had the absolute worst taco driver on the way over! It took him 15 minutes but he spent the drive talking and dialing his phone. When he nearly veered off to the wrong terminal at port, I interrupted him to direct him to terminal B and he actually held up a finger to shush me!!!

When we pulled up, the meter read $10.50. I used a $20 to pay, and asked for $8 back, giving him a tip and to get ones to tip the porter. He tried giving me only five back, saying that the ride cost $15. He kept trying to move the change around with the porters and insist it was $15. I flat out told him I was paying what was shown on the meter, and f he continued to argue, I was giving his tip to the porter. Suddenly, he gave me my change.

I walked over to Twrmnal B, where of course they didn't let anyone in. One other family is here, and I stood pretty close to the food,claiming my spot.

Just a few minutes ago, they let is in bit insisted we sit down, not letting us line up. Praying they don't let crowds in that full up the line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After waitong outside gor ten minutes, they let us into the terminal but insisted we sit on the seats on the perimeter of the room. I was worried they'd let people fill the lines and there would be a fre for all but they staryted lining ppl up outside once the seats were filled. At about 10:10 they came over to my row and motioned us twd the security. I went through, got my sick form and walked it up to the counter and filled it out while the guy checked me in... I was the first person to check on! Then I was sent up the escalator and given a group one boarding card!!!

I took the embark photo only bc I was alone in the room and I felt bad for the guy...

I'm watching ppl disembark on the other side of glass wall. Bring a jacket for this part as this room has the ac blasting!!!

Hoping this bodes well for my pass purchases!

My plan:

1. Run to guest services and but Posh pass

2. Run to spa and buy spa pass

3. Get my UBP sticker and relax!

It's 10:50, and I'm strategically standing in the middle of the two rooms, within pouncing distance of the elevator and escalator. I'm sure ppl think I'm crazy! Bout I'll be perfectly social once I have my passes and am on board.

I just noticed that the solo gathering is at FIVE. My roll call sail away meet is at four! I'm barely going to be there, and I'm hosting! That's going to have to change, no one is going to want to meet at 5 every night.

Just chatted with a couple of women about Moderno, gave it my recommendation.

Everyone's pretty wrapped up in their freestyle daily at the moment.

Noticing ppl with group 3 and 4 passes already....

There has got to be some magic force inside this terminal that's killing my 3G, so I can't post or see updated posts. I will post these at whatever point I have service, but will continue to write it in the present tense.

Thanks to everyone following my report!!!

Stacey

11:00: saw some ppl go onboard, so I asked an NCL rep if they were calling Group One. He claims that they were employees going on ahead to "inspect the ship." Weird.

He did at least show me the door we would be going through, so now I'm perched by it.

The room is getting FULL!! I am now seeing group 14 passes....hmm...wonder how much my group one pass would be worth right now...

11:19... They posted the sign directing ppl to the ship. Seeing group 16 cards now.

11:25... We have live entertainment, folks. A guy has tried to get a snack from a vending machine, but alas, the bag got stuck as it fell to the bottom. Cue some machine pounding. Several pounds later , it was time to shake a luck the machine. Next, he tried prying his hand up the door.

At this point, several other people are assisting him with pounds and suggestions. I even offered the idea of folding a paper to slide up and loosen it. He stuck his boarding card up, and btwn that and some more pounds, the most valuable bag of Lays potato chops EVER finally fell.

The entire room applauded. Now NCL has the bar set for how to provide entertainment.

11:30. I'm still waiting to pounce when two women approach me, recognizing me from my picture online we ended up chatting for awhile, and when I saw they had a group 15 pass, I offered to let them try to go on with me. Sure enough,ten minutes later, they finally called group one, and we flew to the line. They just glanced at my pass, and my cohorts were able to come on with me!

Two minutes later, we walked on the gangway, got our hands sprayed, and I saw a bank of stairs immediately to the right. I flew down them, companions close behind.

Deck 5 was one dck below, and as soon as I saw those familiar paintings, I bolted for the first services desk. One staff mover held up her hands, and said, "miss, slow down!"

I slowed a fraction and got in line behind about 7 ppl. Someone else asked what I wanted, and I said "posh passes," and she said ok, and after my two pals got in line, the staff person said she thought that was it for the passes.

" Well, now she sees why I was running!" I commented.

Holding my breath, I got up to the desk a few minutes later. It was now about 11:50. The other two got the next agent down, and all three of us secured the passes!!!!

SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!

So,the upshot??? Yes, I may have been crazy to show up at 9,but I got a pass before they sold out.

If you don't want to get up that early, make friends with someone in the terminal with a group one pass.

I said goodbye to the other two, and headed for deck 14 for nt #2 goal... Spa pass. Luckily, there was no wait here, and I secured my second plastic band for the week.

On my way to Posh, I stopped at a table on deck 15, across from the waves bar, where they had a list of ppl who prepurchased the UBP. Within 5 minutes, I had my sticker.

Now, actually finding Posh was trickier. I ended up taking the fwd stairs to deck 16, where there were butlers giving Haven tours. One butler very kindly escorted me up two flights up deck 18, to the Posh door. He then told me it was a private club. As soon as I showed him my magic band, he swipedy card for me, and there it was!

I'm already loving it, as I lounge on a sunbed overlooking the action on Deck 15, painkiller on hand. I don't see any evidence of the a Epic club food up here, but if not, I'll go down to O'Sheehans in a bit for food.

I already called my niece and made her jealous if my tales lying in the sun with a drink!!

So I'll see if 3G will let me post, if not,I'll post when I can! Onto a few hrs of sunning, relaxing and drinking!

Sent from my iPhone

Loving your review! We did the same trip, same hotel early January! I hope you are having the best time. We loved Posh, it was the best money spent on the cruise!

We loved the Doubletree, it was a lovely hotel and I loved the amenities in the concourse area.

Can't wait to hear more about your trip - Enjoy every moment.

Bluejai

Stacey, I'm really enjoying your review! I'm cruising the Epic with my family (hubby and 3 kids) in April, and LOVE living vicariously through you wonderful people that blog about your experiences! Keep up the great work! From another Stacy!