how to bring water...

a4ofspades

I in past always lugged on 2 cases of water on board with me. This last time I ordered a case of water n 4 of the 1.5 liters I think it was for 4 of us. It was more expensive but so so worth it not having to deal with it and having xtra room in carry on for it..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I understand about florida water comments I guess, but to drink the water in the dining room, but not in your cabin ? Its the same water... If you drink the dining room water, no reason not to drink the cabin water and saves you the money buying bottled water and then lugging it through the cruse ship..

This is for you, and a suggestion for the OP as well. The water in the dining rooms, buffet, and bars has been filtered through carbon to remove the chlorine (causes maintenance problems in the machines), while the water in your cabin will still have the minimum 0.5ppm chlorine in it, which many people feel tastes bad.

My suggestion to the OP is, by all means take your bottled water, but try this on this cruise to see if you need to take water next time. Fill a pitcher, or one of your used water bottles with water from your cabin sink. Let it sit open for 2-3 hours. The chlorine will have dissipated, and with it the taste. Residual free chlorine in the water will quickly breakdown and dissipate, which is why ship's water is constantly recirculated and chlorine is continually dosed into it.

My suggestion to the OP is, by all means take your bottled water, but try this on this cruise to see if you need to take water next time. Fill a pitcher, or one of your used water bottles with water from your cabin sink. Let it sit open for 2-3 hours. The chlorine will have dissipated, and with it the taste. Residual free chlorine in the water will quickly breakdown and dissipate, which is why ship's water is constantly recirculated and chlorine is continually dosed into it.

Thanks for the excellent tip! My wife and I do not drink tap water at home (we have the nastiest tasting well water here in NH), and we drink about 2 liters of water a day each. In past cruises we have spent literally hundreds of dollars drinking the overpriced liter bottles of spring water in the cabin and on deck.

We've decided to pick up four Britta sport bottles and are going to use them on our next cruise, in order to save that useless expense. Your tip I am sure will help the taste of the water.

Kevin C

Kevin C

I usually travel with one or both of my sons son when I do bring a case of water and a case of soda. well this trip I am traveling alone so I cheated and ordered water and soda from the ship, and my steward does not know it yet but he will be emptying out my fridge so my water and soda stay cold.

I usually travel with one or both of my sons son when I do bring a case of water and a case of soda. well this trip I am traveling alone so I cheated and ordered water and soda from the ship, and my steward does not know it yet but he will be emptying out my fridge so my water and soda stay cold.

fridge will make it cool... definitely not cold

Last year we were on the Freedom and the water was fine and I drink a lot of water. In November we were on the Dream and the water was terrible. It had a musty taste. And this was all over the ship. I ended up drinking bottled water.

pack a case of water in a rolling suite case, DO NOT LOCK IT and you will be just fine. IF you lock it you will have to go to the security room to unlock so they can shake it good and then they will carry it to your room for you. BEEN THERE DONE THAT more times than i wanted, so I just leave it unlocked now. Wife and myself take 24 waters and 18 soft drinks on each of our last 15 or so cruises. We used to purchase water and drinks but that is $$$$$$$.

pack a case of water in a rolling suite case, DO NOT LOCK IT and you will be just fine. IF you lock it you will have to go to the security room to unlock so they can shake it good and then they will carry it to your room for you. BEEN THERE DONE THAT more times than i wanted, so I just leave it unlocked now. Wife and myself take 24 waters and 18 soft drinks on each of our last 15 or so cruises. We used to purchase water and drinks but that is $$$$$$$.

this might be true but the rules are carry-on only, so they can take your water or soda if they choose to at any time if you pack it (they have the right)

we will never know when they will decide to enforce their rule so its easier to just state what the rule is (IMO)

I drink water from a Brita Filter at home, I stopped buying plastic bottles some years back. When I cruise or eat out though, I like Pellagrino with my meals. Now I'm not going to lug a case of glass bottles aboard, heck I travel with just one carry on piece of luggage for a 7 or 8 night cruise. Glad Carnival now offers water packages so I can have the H2O sitting in my cabin for me on sailaway day.

Yes, I know the water is fine to drink..it's a taste issue. We refill our water jugs at what is called a "water mill" here in Florida. We once had someone come to our home trying to sell us a filtration system...he tested 3 samples...our tap water, his filtered water, and the water mill we drink...the water mill was the cleanest of the 3 which was pretty humorous. :) When I purchase water, I buy distilled or purified water...it is the only thing that tastes similar to the water mill. Honestly, the water in Florida is so awful it has caused me to really take note of how my water tastes. My SIL says when she visits she can taste the funk of Florida water in a cup of coffee.

The water is MADE on the ship. It is a pure as the water you are buying. They desalinate (a distilling process) and purify the seawater. I have never been on a ship on any cruise line that has water that didn't taste as good as bottled water. We lived in Florida for a while, I agree that the water was bad. But you don't need to bring bottled water onto a cruise ship.

The water is MADE on the ship. It is a pure as the water you are buying. They desalinate (a distilling process) and purify the seawater. I have never been on a ship on any cruise line that has water that didn't taste as good as bottled water. We lived in Florida for a while, I agree that the water was bad. But you don't need to bring bottled water onto a cruise ship.

Again, water taste is one of the most subjective topics. Get 100 people in a room tasting water, you get 100 different results. Cruise ships do take on water from shore, to supplement the ship's water making capacity. What really affects the taste is the fact that most ship's water pipes are not steel or iron, which imparts a taste in some municipal supplies, and the requirement to chlorinate the water.

Yes, your water supply at home is chlorinated, but the water sits in pipes until you open a faucet, and in that time, the chlorine dissipates. Ship's water is constantly recirculated, from the tank to your cabin, and back to the tank, if not used. This water is required by USPH to have at all times a residual chlorine level, which must be monitored at the furthest point from the chlorination point, typically on the bridge. So the water in cabins will always have at least 0.5ppm chlorine in it.