Laundromat Etiquette

Cassie_Zuzu

Absolutely! If you're talking about a Caribbean cruise, then that's a good plan. Just remember that at some point in the morning, you may have to be walked off the ship and back on or may have to sit in a room for awhile and plan your washing around those activities.

If you're talking about a European cruise, do not do it on turn-around day unless you start way before all the regular passengers start boarding. The majority of people doing European cruises do a pre-cruise stay and by the time they get to the ship, they are really anxious to get their wash done. That's the busiest I've ever, ever seen a Princess laundry room. One woman almost came to blows with others over not being able to get her 2 massive suitcases full of clothes washed when she wanted to that day.

Can't speak for Princess, but this is what we did on Carnival. We did it early, while other passengers were making their way out of their cabins - such a great feeling!

Thanks!!!! Just what I wanted to know.

Question do the laundromat machines only take US quarters? And if so can you get quarters on the ships somewhere like from the purser?

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Forums mobile app

The machines on the Australian-based ships take Australian dollar coins.

Why would you want to wash on the last day or so. Bring em home dirty.

DON

I find the most irritating posts (to me, maybe I have "issues") start with "Why would you" or even worse, "Why would you ever". That kind of tone causes me to infer the writer thinks someone is just being stupid.

OK, personal issue rant is done.

People wash their clothes at the end of a cruise for at least two reasons I know of, I'm sure there are more.

1) They aren't done with their traveling. Ever hear of a post-cruise vacation?

2) They don't like mixing dirty laundry with clean stuff. Even stuffed in a plastic bag the odors mix.

We've been on cruise lines that have no available self-serve laundry, one that accepted quarters or tokens, and my personal favorite, one that converted over to having a card reader on each machine so you just swiped your key card and the charge was applied to your account. Definitely made it easier on the ship and on us to not have to have a supply of quarters. I'm just glad to have a do-it-yourself facility available on Princess, but would love it to be automated for the charging! (In case anyone from Princess is idly reading here looking for bright ideas.....)

I'm just glad to have a do-it-yourself facility available on Princess, but would love it to be automated for the charging! (In case anyone from Princess is idly reading here looking for bright ideas.....)

Princess knows as this is the method on the Royal.

• 3 weeks later...

On our most recent cruise, my husband went to do our laundry on the first night of the cruise. There was a completed load just sitting in the washer. He removed the load and did two loads of wash.(We had already been away from home 8 days.) As he was folding our last load from the dryer, the owner of the completed load of wet wash FINALLY came into the room, and gasped when they saw their clothes piled up outside the washer. This was at least 90 minutes after DH arrived. Either keep track of the time, or deal with the consequences. Putting clothes in the wash and then going to dinner is not acceptable unless you leave the table mid meal and do the polite thing with your laundry.

On an Alaskan cruise, I entered the laundry room at the moment it was unlocked. The washer was full of dirty clothes that I assume someone put in there the night before. I removed them and did our wash. The person did come in to start the wash...about 20 minutes later. Really?

We travel with a laundry kit that includes pods, dryer sheets, stain stick, Woolite and Tide sink wash packets, clip hangers, and a couple of rolls of quarters.

We keep track of the time and bring our readers with us if there is a place to sit.

On this cruise, Princess did offer a laundry special at $20 a bag. We were going to use it but then we realized we had much more than the bag could hold, so we did another two loads about 9 days into the cruise. We dream of the day that we make Elite and can send our laundry out!

We keep track of the time and bring our readers with us if there is a place to sit.

On this cruise, Princess did offer a laundry special at $20 a bag. We were going to use it but then we realized we had much more than the bag could hold, so we did another two loads about 9 days into the cruise. We dream of the day that we make Elite and can send our laundry out!

I also sit and wait while doing laundry. I just bring a few electronic doodads to keep me occupied.

The trick to the laundry special is to roll your clothes before putting them in the bag. For instance if you have several t-shirts, stack them neatly, then roll them up. You can get more into the bag that way.