Bringing back medications

Xmansmom

I guess it depends on the plan and the doctor. My co-pay is only $10 and with my doctor knowing my medical history, if I told him I was traveling and wanted to be on the safe side it is unlikely he'd even make me come in for a visit and would just write the script. The usual I pay at the most is $20. If it is specialized (which amoxicillin is not) it would be max $30. Once when traveling to England I had a touch of bronchitis but it was supposedly the coldest winter in ages in London. So to be on the safe side, I called the doctor and asked him for a double prescription so I wouldn't be far from home without the medication. Therefore, for a 20 days prescription it only cost me $20.

If you'd have waited til u were in the uk for your script you'd have got it for free... We have no system to take the cash!

There is no way that sharing antibiotics "among friends" is even considered a good idea. Each person should be prescribed a script only after a trained medical person has actually looked at you and determined that you will benefit from antibiotics.

...And the reason your Dr. will not just "write you a script" is because he is doing his job correctly. You still have not told us though why you think that the antibiotics are needed. Typically with a viral infection, it will heal itself and you will feel better in spite of the antibiotics.

Self-prescribing of any medication (especially antibiotics) can and will cause problems.

Amen! So many people think that all antibiotics are the same but in reality, each drug is different. And in order for antibiotics to be effective, they must be selected for the right type of infection. In other words, antibiotics for lung infections do not work on urinary tract infections.

Eventually, the overuse/abuse of antibiotics will make the body's immune system incompetent.

Eventually, the overuse/abuse of antibiotics will make the body's immune system incompetent.

No, the overuse and abuse of antibiotics doesn't affect the immune system itself -- the immune system will work just the way it did before -- but what it might do is create resistant bugs or allow the overgrowth of novel bugs for which the immune system is (and always was) unprepared.

Amen! So many people think that all antibiotics are the same but in reality, each drug is different. And in order for antibiotics to be effective, they must be selected for the right type of infection. In other words, antibiotics for lung infections do not work on urinary tract infections.

Amoxicillin is an antibiotic that can be and is prescribed for both lung infections ( pneumonia) and urinary tract infections as well as laryngitis, bronchitis, cystitis and some STD's as well as other bacterial infections.

I do however agree with you that over using and misusing antibiotics has lead to superbugs which is a real and definite problem.

"Sharing drugs with friends" likely violates Customs laws for what we are permitted to import when we return home to U.S. There is a provision for personal use....... that does not include sharing with friends.

Bad idea.

Amoxicillin is an antibiotic that can be and is prescribed for both lung infections ( pneumonia) and urinary tract infections as well as laryngitis, bronchitis, cystitis and some STD's as well as other bacterial infections.
But there are better specific antibiotics for some of those ailments also that are more appropriate and work better. So while Amox might work it might not be the best solution.

I do however agree with you that over using and misusing antibiotics has lead to superbugs which is a real and definite problem.

Yes.

Edited by reedl
fix quote

But there are better specific antibiotics for some of those ailments also that are more appropriate and work better. So while Amox might work it might not be the best solution.

Of course but that is not what the poster I quoted wrote. Remember there are places in the world that have to use the 2nd or 3rd choice of medication due to cost and availability. Stating that an antibiotic used for a lung infection won't work on a urinary tract infection is simply not true. The poster was posting in accurate information and I politely corrected her.

Simply not true. Amoxil, whilst very broad spectrum is not good against anaerobes and most E. coli (major cause of utis) is resistant to it. It also can cause big problems if used against strep. -

I guess this kind of half knowledge is why these drugs are prescription only.

Simply not true. Amoxil, whilst very broad spectrum is not good against anaerobes and most E. coli (major cause of utis) is resistant to it. It also can cause big problems if used against strep. -

Bingo !!!

(my underline and bold)

Edited by sail7seas

It very well is true. Again maybe not the first choice. But Amoxicillin CAN be used to TREAT lung infections and UTI's. Of course sputum sample or urine sample results will be what tells the doc which antibiotic is the best choice. Cost and availability often dictates which antibiotic is used and Amoxicillin can be used often, even if it is 2nd or 3rd choice. As my kids say " hash-tag 1st world problems."

Edited by Karysa

But we do live in the first world - this is a cruise forum, so why risk using an antibiotic that could make the issue worse. I would never prescribe Amoxil first line for a uti - there are equally cheap antibiotics that are far more effective and won't cause resistance issues to be made even worse for those who don't have the choice that we have.

Ps Amoxil is a b lactamase so does not work against any microbe that is b lactamase resistant it doesn't have b lactamase in its wall structure... This includes a lot of E. coli, any anaerobes, and many streptococcus infections. This is why Mrsa and Vrsa will be more and more of an issue in 3rd world and 1st world cultures.

But we do live in the first world - this is a cruise forum, so why risk using an antibiotic that could make the issue worse. I would never prescribe Amoxil first line for a uti - there are equally cheap antibiotics that are far more effective and won't cause resistance issues to be made even worse for those who don't have the choice that we have.

Just because you wouldn't prescribe Amoxicillin for a UTI doesnt mean that it can't be prescribed for a UTI.

Edited by Karysa