How to find cruise bargains/deals

Looking to book future cruises and take advantage of deals/bargain opportunities when they come along. I would be interested in the sites that other CC members seek cruise deals.

Keen on Mediterranean cruise or a repositioning cruise in 2015.

Hi Foz :)

We are not allowed to mention, recommend or dish on travel agents on this site.

Having said that I found a med cruise that included trans Atlantic component for a super cheap deal. Was chatting to hubs about it. Went to have another look at it tonight & the costs p.pax for a suite are approx $2000 each dearer than last night. :(

It was in Dec. I think you need to find something & snap it up when you have the chance.

Hi Foz :)

Was chatting to hubs about it. Went to have another look at it tonight & the costs p.pax for a suite are approx $2000 each dearer than last night. :(

I think you need to find something & snap it up when you have the chance.

I agree wholeheartedly. I saw a deal on Saturday morning, went out to lunch and talked to DW about it. On our return it was gone, fully booked.:mad: :eek:

There are mainly two ways that you can book good cruising deals -- either through a TA's website or a cruiselines website. I find the cruiselines websites to be more reliable with their "offers"

However, there is also the matter of "the quick and the dead!" You need to have previously discussed with your DH what "possibilities" you would consider for your future "must do" list- and having pre-discussed this, be in a position to IMMEDIATELY book any good deal that you find on the Internet and which is on your list. We still have a number of "must do's" on our list - and we are "ready to go" (psychologically/mentally) whenever a GOOD deal on one of them pops up.

Cruiselines change their cruisefares on a daily basis - depending on how the bookings for any cruise is going (on a daily basis). Therefore, if you do see a good deal - you have got to book it immediately - there is no time to "discuss it with DH after lunch" or after he/she gets home from work, etc. !! :)

I am the chief "finder" in our household - and I give my wife 5 minutes to make her decision as to whether she wants to take advantage of an offer or not -- whenever I contact a friend or Rellie about an especially good deal I have found, I usually give them 10 minutes to make a decision and get back to me.

Barry

I think sometimes that those advertised "specials" are a teaser. It is amazing how when you phone to make a booking, it is "sorry that special has sold out, but we can book you at a dearer price".

I used to think that as well. I guess there is a bit of of the old "Bait and Switch" , but then all advertisers do that...(think Harvey Norman:D) , but these days with fair trade commissions and the like they do have to have had those deals to sell. ....there may very well be only 1 or 2 cabins at a special price and once they have gone thats it.

As Barry says above you have to be fleet of foot to get the bargains.

One that I use is on the Princess web site. if you register for My Princess they have a part were you can Save Cruise. If you then save any cruise you may be interested in , you can keep calling back and check for any price changes.Its amazing how the prices do change , almost daily, both up and down.

Advertising has a lead time , and by the time an ad may appear the deals may have been sold. Advertising is also very expensive so TA's and Cruise Lines are not going to waste money on an expensive promotion for only a few cabins.....thats why a lot of the really good deals are just fed out to Agents who have a client base of ready to go cruisers.

However, there is also the matter of "the quick and the dead!" You need to have previously discussed with your DH what "possibilities" you would consider for your future "must do" list- and having pre-discussed this, be in a position to IMMEDIATELY book any good deal that you find on the Internet and which is on your list. We still have a number of "must do's" on our list - and we are "ready to go" (psychologically/mentally) whenever a GOOD deal on one of them pops up.

there is no time to "discuss it with DH after lunch" or after he/she gets home from work, etc. !! :)

Barry

Thanks Barry for your great advice. I'm still learning this cruising caper.;)

Looking to book future cruises and take advantage of deals/bargain opportunities when they come along. I would be interested in the sites that other CC members seek cruise deals.

Keen on Mediterranean cruise or a repositioning cruise in 2015.

Just google cruise travel agents then join their email listing and you'll be swamped with 'specials' from them. Often they CAN offer a better price than the cruise-lines as they have blocks of cabins to sell but I also check the cruise-line websites to check their prices before clicking the SUBMIT button.

As far as having to 'snap up' specials when they appear, you can always put a booking on hold for at least 24 hours before committing yourself by making a deposit.

All the best finding your next cruise! :)

Gae

Hi David....did the earthquake around Palmerston affect you? I know it is a distance but thought I would check on you.:) Hope everyone is ok.

No . Nothing here in Orewa. On the news some people said they felt it in Auckland , but not here .

...and I think the key is to not stress about what everyone else pays for their cruises. If you are happy with the price then go for it. A bargain is only what you think it to be. Someone else might view it as a ripoff, or average or a deal! :) people want different things & cabin categories vary greatly.

Incidentally, I went back into that same site, and the cruise fares I was referring to earlier are back down to their initial $2000 lessor amount. ;)

Repositioning cruises tend to be cheaper, but the one way fares are a killer. We are currently sussing out an 18 day repos cruise, airfares both one ways, transfers & pre + post accommodation for what we think is a bargain. Others may think we are mad and being ripped off, but to purchase it all separately would be twice the price of the package we are looking at, so it's all subjective.

...and I think the key is to not stress about what everyone else pays for their cruises. If you are happy with the price then go for it. A bargain is only what you think it to be. Someone else might view it as a ripoff, or average or a deal! :) people want different things & cabin categories vary greatly.

Incidentally, I went back into that same site, and the cruise fares I was referring to earlier are back down to their initial $2000 lessor amount. ;)

Repositioning cruises tend to be cheaper, but the one way fares are a killer. We are currently sussing out an 18 day repos cruise, airfares both one ways, transfers & pre + post accommodation for what we think is a bargain. Others may think we are mad and being ripped off, but to purchase it all separately would be twice the price of the package we are looking at, so it's all subjective.

Yes, I probably pay more than others on the same ship but I like to book early to get the cabin I want!

That said there were some GREAT prices on Junior Suites (less than balcony prices) on the 2 most recent booked RCI cruises for Dec 2014 & Feb 2015 so I snapped them up and got the positions I prefer as well. :)

I have given up worrying what bargains (?) others may be getting as I'm happy with the price I pay.

BTW - The online travel agents often quote special prices for fly/cruise repositioning cruises. One day I might just take up one of those offers! :D

Gae

BTW - The online travel agents often quote special prices for fly/cruise repositioning cruises. One day I might just take up one of those offers! :D

Gae

Some of the on line guys do amazing deals. But they only do them a few months away. I need then to be 12 months away so that I can plan my life, get leave etc. Maybe when I'm retired.

To find them google fly, stay, cruise, australia

Clue it could be the "1st" one

Raina

Some of the on line guys do amazing deals. But they only do them a few months away. I need then to be 12 months away so that I can plan my life, get leave etc. Maybe when I'm retired.

Raina

I've got to agree, I certainly check out the online deals, as well as the cruiseline sites, but it doesn't hurt to talk nicely to your TA as well about what you're looking for, our next cruise is on the Solstice in March, we found out about this deal through our TA who phoned us as soon as it was available so we had a choice of cabin...I thought the price was ok, but I noticed it went up fairly rapidly after we booked...icon7.gif

Raina

Rainer, the one I was talking about is Dec 2014 :-) $5050.00 for 22 day package, flights, pre + post & 18 nights sailing. Not much more for a suite. They are out there :) good luck I hope you find a good deal!

P.s. I did your google & not who I have used previously but will do some checking! ;)

Yes, I probably pay more than others on the same ship but I like to book early to get the cabin I want!

That said there were some GREAT prices on Junior Suites (less than balcony prices) on the 2 most recent booked RCI cruises for Dec 2014 & Feb 2015 so I snapped them up and got the positions I prefer as well. :)

I have given up worrying what bargains (?) others may be getting as I'm happy with the price I pay.

Gae

I agree Gae, your holiday, you have to approve the deal, not anyone else! :)

I shop around and do the research on the itinerary I want to do, I then ask my two TAs (one Aussie and one US) for a price and go with the one that is best for the whole package. They work for me and are prepared to price match if the deals are better elsewhere.

Over all, only buy at a price you are comfortable with and forget about buyers remorse. There are often cases when a price may drop and your TA can not do anything about it and other times they can and offer extras or an upgrade.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Go up to the main page and look up the reviews. There are always pop ups there with Cruise Travel agencies. Become a member for their news letters (also the Cruise Critic one) and you will receive regular e-mails. Beside the American ones, do start trailing some national and local ones too and become a member of these as well.

Once you have a short list of which ship/line you would like to go to and which itinerary check out prices of that particular cruise line to see what the standard prices are so you can compare the specials.

Then it is a question for monitoring the specials and the different websites on a regular basis till you see something that is a good price or you might see an early saver prive.

On this forum is a regular thread that alerts us for bargains.

Or say on the Celebrity forum cruisers will alert for special promotions or Wow sales.

Once you see a price drop, just contact your TA and see if you are eligible or in case of new booking check if you can get the perks like OBC, early saver rate etc.

:D

Gae

Yes, I'm like Gae. I get in early and that is the price I pay, no complaining. It would be lovely to get some of the last minutes deals (especially the ones they get in the states) but I need to plan early re flights or the room I need if traveling with 89yo Dad.

Raina