Dairy-free eating on the Freedom of the Seas

Hello,

due to allergies and food intolerances I have to eat dairy-free and have to avoid some other food, e.g. carrots and oranges (but these are trifles compared to dairy products).

Do you have made experiences with dairy-free eating on the Freedom of the Seas?

I've read that I should inform RCI via email prior to the cruise. And on the first night I should inform the (head) waiter. But does it work?

And what about food selection on the Freedom in the MDR? I don't want to eat the same food every second day. :rolleyes:

What about other places to eat, e.g. Windjammer, Johnny Rockets, Café Promenade, Ben & Jerry's and so on... Do they offer a variety of dairy-free food (pizza without cheese *lol*)? Do they note dairy-free products in the Windjammer or do I have to ask a waiter for every single food? Do they really know what they are talking about and can I rely on it?

I have made bad experiences in restaurants at home. Sometimes waiter have no idea of what I'm asking for and aren't really interested in helping me finding something I'm able to eat. :mad:

What about non-dairy milk, e.g. soy milk? Do they offer it for breakfast?

What about desserts, all the delicious kind of cremes and pies, are they able to make it dairy-free for me, e.g. prepare it for me with non-dairy milk?

Thank you in advance!

Hello,

due to allergies and food intolerances I have to eat dairy-free and have to avoid some other food, e.g. carrots and oranges (but these are trifles compared to dairy products).

Do you have made experiences with dairy-free eating on the Freedom of the Seas?

I've read that I should inform RCI via email prior to the cruise. And on the first night I should inform the (head) waiter. But does it work?

And what about food selection on the Freedom in the MDR? I don't want to eat the same food every second day. :rolleyes:

What about other places to eat, e.g. Windjammer, Johnny Rockets, Café Promenade, Ben & Jerry's and so on... Do they offer a variety of dairy-free food (pizza without cheese *lol*)? Do they note dairy-free products in the Windjammer or do I have to ask a waiter for every single food? Do they really know what they are talking about and can I rely on it?

I have made bad experiences in restaurants at home. Sometimes waiter have no idea of what I'm asking for and aren't really interested in helping me finding something I'm able to eat. :mad:

What about non-dairy milk, e.g. soy milk? Do they offer it for breakfast?

What about desserts, all the delicious kind of cremes and pies, are they able to make it dairy-free for me, e.g. prepare it for me with non-dairy milk?

Thank you in advance!

My DW has a dairy allergy (the caisson and whey) so we know all about it and yes it can be difficult at times but we have found for the most part RCI does an excellent job but your expectations need to be realistic.

Contact RCI at special_needs@rccl.com prior to your cruise. (Underscore between special and needs).

Make contact with your head waiter the first afternoon. We have found that the head waiter is key to making everything work.

The head waiter will bring menus for you the night before so you can make your selection and he will let you know if they can make it without dairy. Our experience has been that most items can be prepared dairy free BUT in most cases it just means that the sauce is eliminated. Talk to your head waiter and ask if you can meet the chef. We have found that if you ask they can make non dairy sauces for many of the meals.

Desserts are as I'm sure you know one of the biggest challenges. More often than not their fallback is a bowl of fresh berries. My DW really likes the pavlova (baked merrangue) and asks for that with different berries every night. We talk to the head waiter about this the first afternoon and so far they have been very accommodating. It is normally offered only once on the cruise but it is easy for them to make so they make a batch up for my wife.

There are also some chocolate items that they make as they use cocoa as opposed to milk chocolate. Just ask.

Soy milk is available if you ask in the MDR and the WJ but sometimes you need to get a supervisor to get it for you in the WJ.

As far as the other places to eat they do not specifically have non dairy items. Sorry we did not find any pizza with no cheese.

For the specialty restaurants we go ahead of time and ask to speak with the chef. They have been absolutely wonderful.

In the WJ my DW can normally tell just by looking at a dish if it will have dairy in it or not but if in doubt she will ask and your right don't trust the waiters ask for someone from the kitchen to come out and walk through the buffet with you.

Remember a lot of stuff is pre packaged or components of a dish are so they don't have complete flexibility but they do try their best.

Many thanks for your detailed information and experience. Very helpful and a lot of answers to my questions. :-)

After booking I will contact RCI and in the first evening I will speak to the head waiter. Hoping he will make a good job and the most of it.

Because I am not a native speaker I will translate all the special food I am not allowed to eat. It is very difficult to explain my dairy allergy at home. Most peope think I have a lactose intolerance. But that is half the price. ;-) Hope I can explain it in English to the waiter.

Edited by Cachecruiser

As mentioned, they give you the menu for the next night. You order your dinner a day ahead and they will take care of your needs. Very easy. They will tell you if a meal can not be taken care of. Like I don't think they can do creme brulee dairy free...

I wanted the mushroom torte and I am gluten free. I asked to get the mushroom over a piece of gluten free bread... They made me a wonderful dish not just the plain dish I asked for.

Edited by dasi11

Many thanks for your detailed information and experience. Very helpful and a lot of answers to my questions. :-)

After booking I will contact RCI and in the first evening I will speak to the head waiter. Hoping he will make a good job and the most of it.

Because I am not a native speaker I will translate all the special food I am not allowed to eat. It is very difficult to explain my dairy allergy at home. Most peope think I have a lactose intolerance. But that is half the price. ;-) Hope I can explain it in English to the waiter.

Perhaps you can put it all in writing which would give you a chance to really think about how to phrase things at your leisure. It will also give the headwaiter something to reference if he/she doesn't remember certain things. Chances are that English will not be his/her first languageage either.

Thank you so much for this information!!! I too have dairy issue and will be sailing a TA next August. I was so worried that I would again have to spend some of the the cruise inside my cabin. Last time I sailed RCCL and told HW nothing was done to help me. I tried on my own, but sometimes ingredients are there undercover and then you become ill.

I just sailed on Carnival Pride and they assigned a dining room staff member to help me plan a day ahead. Thus I had a "no issues" vacation. They also prepared special meals when nothing on the menu would work. Desserts are probably the hardest to get rid of dairy. Last time on RCCL I had cookies every evening for dessert. With so many food allergies today I'm glad the cruise lines are taking the step to take care of us. I will contact RCCL before sail date.

Thank you again.

Mrsosci