Take on hand luggage

tricia1563

Can someone advise what hand luggage we are permitted to take through? I would like to take a smaller case with evening wear as I have read in some forums the checked in luggage sometimes does not get to the cabin till after 6pm dinner. Is it best to also book room service for breakfast the first morning, again read that can be chaotic after being in a new port. Thanks for any responses.

Can someone advise what hand luggage we are permitted to take through? I would like to take a smaller case with evening wear as I have read in some forums the checked in luggage sometimes does not get to the cabin till after 6pm dinner. Is it best to also book room service for breakfast the first morning, again read that can be chaotic after being in a new port. Thanks for any responses.

I have seen people bring all sorts of luggage on the ship with them. There's nothing wrong with bringing a case with you. It will be passed through an x-ray and you may have to open it if they ask...but that's it.

I don't understand your breakfast question. If you mean your first full day on the ship (morning after embarkation) there's really no need unless you choose to for your own convenience. The staff will have the lido and dining room in good shape if you choose to go there as well.

You can order breakfast in your room any day, except for the day you disembark.

Your stateroom will always be ready when you board a Cunard ship, unlike some other lines.

I agree, you're stateroom is always ready when you board and we have always received our luggage by dinner time.

Although last year in Southampton, I was worried about one piece that was late. I got a call from the pursers office saying we had to go back to the dock because something 'suspicious' had been found in our bag.

My husband and I went down and they found a dinner knife in my husband's toilet kit. This is the kind of knife that you spread butter with, he keeps it because I like cream cheese on bagels and we always travel with it.

Well, they confiscated it! Mind you there are about 5,000 more just like it on the ship, but ours they took! [for the record this was our knife from our house not a Cunard one LOL]

We had to laugh.

My husband and I went down and they found a dinner knife in my husband's toilet kit. This is the kind of knife that you spread butter with, he keeps it because I like cream cheese on bagels and we always travel with it.

Well, they confiscated it! Mind you there are about 5,000 more just like it on the ship, but ours they took! [for the record this was our knife from our house not a Cunard one LOL]

We had to laugh.

It appears this "airline madness" is affecting the usually civilised ocean travel experience. We travel with a few pieces of plastic cutlery which, fortunately, has not been a problem at air or sea inspections. Some Canadian airports have confiscated nail clippers and the pins from veteran's poppies, yet Air Canada provides serrated knives in its Executive cabins. Indeed, we need to laugh.

We board around noon and have always received our luggage by the time I have the carry on unpacked and the bathroom organized......I'm completely unpacked by Muster, including having gone for a light lunch. I think Cunard does an amazing job. :)

I bring all the normal lady things on board, including a pair of hair shears, and have never had anything confiscated or even questioned. As was said by others, it's really strange to have things, that are readily available on board, taken away.

It appears this "airline madness" is affecting the usually civilised ocean travel experience. We travel with a few pieces of plastic cutlery which, fortunately, has not been a problem at air or sea inspections. Some Canadian airports have confiscated nail clippers and the pins from veteran's poppies, yet Air Canada provides serrated knives in its Executive cabins. Indeed, we need to laugh.

Then there's the emergency axe attached to the ceiling in the galley......

I should add to my story that the same knife was in my husband's bag when we departed New York on the QM2 and it got on the ship without a problem!

Another odd thing happened as we embarked. I think this was June 23 or 24, 2013, can't remember the actual date we departed for NYC. But when we were going through the metal detectors prior to boarding I was pulled aside to be frisked!!

I'm not kidding. The lady doing the frisking said it was probably my shoes that set off the detector (so why didn't we start there!). My husband thought it was hysterical and at the end they asked me to take my shoes off and then walk through again... no problem this time.

Between this episode and the knife, we figured maybe the 'bosses' were watching and they had to show they were being careful. All and all a memorable beginning to our 10th crossing on the QM2.