Coral Photo Review Sailed on Jan. 8/14

wilfros

We are also on the March 15th sailing and I am loving your review and thanks for all the great pictures!

Looking forward to the rest of your review and I hope that your doctor's appointment went well.

Joanne

Joanne, thank you so much for your well wishes, and thank you to all others who did the same. I questioned the doctor at length but he was adamant there was nothing physically keeping me from continuing this review! :D

So I am writing up my story now, and hopefully in the afternoon I will be posting the first part of my Panama Canal Post.

I am glad you are enjoying my review. Knowing people are reading it, makes the whole thing just a little more fun. However, the posting itself, is almost like going on the cruise a second time. The memories all come back as you write the review.

It has really been fun for me.

Edited by wilfros

Well the big day finally arrived. Here we were approaching "the big ditch". Again I am going to publish a number of posts so as to allow me the opportunity to present the maximum number of photos.

For some reason, once we decided to take this cruise I immersed myself in the history of the Canal. I started by reading "the path between the seas". I enjoyed this so much I bought 2 other books and a "Nova" TV disk. Once we boarded Coral Princess I attended all talks and presentations concerning the Panama Canal.

So, needless to say, I was just a little excited when the canal finally arrived. Thus I was up at 5am. Yes, it was a holiday, but nonetheless I was up at 5am and out on deck by 5:20.

Panama3a.jpg

After much scouting prior to arrival, I was assured by the crew of Coral Princess access to the bow decks of Coral Princess was permitted. Further I found out that deck 10 forward is always open, unless the bridge considers the wind to be too dangerous. so that was something new, and this all in spite of the signs on the doors that give all indications there is no permitted access. This all gives very confusing messages. We had friends, within our group, that wanted to go to the forward decks for the Canal, but when they read the signs decided not to take the chance and went elsewhere to watch the transit.

Anyway, I was the second person to be on the forward decks for that morning. I decided I could get the best photos from Deck 11 and it did indeed provide a wonderful view.

Panama31.jpg

Again, the feeling of watching the bow of Coral Princess approach the first lock and then the first set of gates, is incredible. On approach it is unbelievable this massive structure will, in fact, fit. All indications lead the viewer to believe it is just not going to work. this in spite of everything I had read and all that I had witnessed viewing the Panama WebCam. In person, the whole thing seems impossible and breath taking.

I found the mechanics of the canal impressive beyond words. The "mules" were some of the most impressive machines to watch as they pulled the Coral Princess into the lock chamber. While you can see the water dropping in the forward chamber as Coral Princess raised to it's new level, nothing was felt on the ship. Another thing that impressed me was the lack of noise. I would have thought transferring that much water from one canal chamber to another, in that short a time would result in a noticeable amount of noise, but in fact is was almost silent.

Panama35.jpg

We had a large, yellow, I believe, car transport ship, slide in beside us in the parallel lock. What was interesting was that she was just ahead of us, in the timing of the transfer. This always allowed us to see the change in levels between where we were and what height we would be at in the next stage, was enjoyable. The massive size of the other ship was such that we lost some of the panoramic view but there was this upside.

Panama34.jpg

Just as we entered the third and final chamber, I went down to the Promenade Deck to view the transit from there. The experience was completely different from that view point. It was incredible to exit onto Promenade Deck with it level with the ground and then raise to 2 stories above the ground was fascinating. If you are taking a shore excursion on that day, ensure you do not remain on one deck with one view for the complete transit. You will miss too much. Each deck of Coral Princess and each side of the ship offered it's own unique view of this wonder, and each deserves to be enjoyed.

Panama310.jpg

Panama312.jpg

More "transit" photos later today and next post will be the disembarkation of passengers at Gatun Lake.

Comments always welcome.

Thank you for doing this review. Your pictures are wonderful. I hope you are feeling alright and I wish you well with your condition. Can you tell me if the fruits served in the buffet was cut up (off the rinds)? We were on Island last September and it was but went on Ruby in December and it wasn't and I couldn't tell from your buffet pictures. I love fresh fruit but hate to spend 20 minutes fixing everything to be able to eat it.

Thanks

We are on the Caribe deck (forward) for an Alaska Cruise this year.

I've found a picture of what that door looks like to go out on the bow on the Caribe

Is it just a small area? any chairs or ledges to sit on?

Thanks

Hi FoghornLeghorn

On the morning we entered the Panama Canal someone brought out a plastic deck chair for an elderly gentleman to sit on (see my above post, 2nd photo). By the afternoon the chair was gone. The answer about the chairs is no. It gets too windy during sea days, the chairs would fly away.

As for the size and what the area looks like here are some photos.

Here is the deck as we headed back to the Gatun Locks after letting the shore excursion passengers off.

Caribe1.jpg

Caribe2.jpg

Here is the same deck as we are underway in the Caribbean Sea.

Caribe3.jpg

I hope this helps

Edited by wilfros

Thank you for doing this review. Your pictures are wonderful. I hope you are feeling alright and I wish you well with your condition. Can you tell me if the fruits served in the buffet was cut up (off the rinds)? We were on Island last September and it was but went on Ruby in December and it wasn't and I couldn't tell from your buffet pictures. I love fresh fruit but hate to spend 20 minutes fixing everything to be able to eat it.

Thanks

Thank you very much.

I am sorry to tell you I did not pay attention. I just asked my wife as she ate fruit everyday. She tells me it depended on the fruit and the different offerings at the buffet.

Some times, apparently, the fruit was cut up and sometimes it needed your attention.

Edited by wilfros

So enjoying your review - and your truly stunning photos :D

Thank you so much for all the effort :)

I am happy you are enjoying it. What else can you do with photos.

Friends come over and get bored looking at them as I force feed them, but here, everyone is so thankful for each photo posted.

I am having a great time sharing.

Panama36.jpg

Edited by wilfros

Excellent Canal photos so far. I did the same as you on Canal morning. I was up at 5AM and out on Baja Deck forward by 5:15AM. First one there. It was still dark, and you could see the lights of all the cargo ships anchored outside the Atlantic Entrance. It was magical!

Solid advice about going to different parts of the ship. While the forward section has the best views of entering the Canal chambers, you don't want to miss Promenade Deck either, as the ship lowers and you can almost touch the walls. Upper deck midship is great too. So is aft. They all have a different perspective of this Modern Marvel.

Excellent Canal photos so far. I did the same as you on Canal morning. I was up at 5AM and out on Baja Deck forward by 5:15AM. First one there. It was still dark, and you could see the lights of all the cargo ships anchored outside the Atlantic Entrance. It was magical!

Solid advice about going to different parts of the ship. While the forward section has the best views of entering the Canal chambers, you don't want to miss Promenade Deck either, as the ship lowers and you can almost touch the walls. Upper deck midship is great too. So is aft. They all have a different perspective of this Modern Marvel.

Thanks for following along Jasperdo, any time you wish to add a photo or two where you think I have missed something, I would be pleased.

A few More photos from the transit into Gatun Lake

Panama32.jpg

Panama33.jpg

Panama311.jpg

Panama39.jpg

Panama313.jpg

Next we dump the Shore Excursion Passengers before returning to the Caribbean Sea.

Edited by wilfros

Best review and pictures ever!! We are considering this for next year so I am really enjoying your observations as well. Thanks for sharing.

These are very kind words, however I read the b2b review of the Royal. Those are some pretty big shoes to fill and I think I may never meet his standard.

HOWEVER I am very happy you are enjoying it. This keeps me going.

Panama13.jpg

This has become one of my favorite parts off the day. Coming home, getting a cup of coffee, booting up my laptop and reading the next part of your review and staring aimlessly at the pictures. And to think in less than 7 weeks, I'll be doing it myself. :)

Thanks again,

Debbie

Thanks for following along Jasperdo, any time you wish to add a photo or two where you think I have missed something, I would be pleased.

Thank you for the offer. Your photos are amazing and do an excellent job of showing the Panama Canal experience. I'll just add a couple of photos here that show some of the things that were different on our cruise from your photos.

We were very fortunate that we took our cruise when a lot of the cruise ships were doing repositioning cruises from the Caribbean to Alaska. We wound up going through the Canal with 2 other cruise ships. The Holland America Westerdam was ahead of us, and the Celebrity infinity was in the chamber alongside of us. As a cruise ship fan, I was in heaven:

7222414586_e305a01197_z.jpg

Panama Canal: Gatun Locks by Jasperdo, on Flickr

The other unique thing was the ship's crew were doing some sort of photo shoot on the bow of the ship. It was a really fun thing to watch, and the passengers all gave them a hearty applause when they were done. Very memorable:

7228437428_b069b2cf5b_z.jpg

Thank you for the offer. Your photos are amazing and do an excellent job of showing the Panama Canal experience. I'll just add a couple of photos here that show some of the things that were different on our cruise from your photos.

We were very fortunate that we took our cruise when a lot of the cruise ships were doing repositioning cruises from the Caribbean to Alaska. We wound up going through the Canal with 2 other cruise ships. The Holland America Westerdam was ahead of us, and the Celebrity infinity was in the chamber alongside of us. As a cruise ship fan, I was in heaven:

7222414586_e305a01197_z.jpg

The other unique thing was the ship's crew were doing some sort of photo shoot on the bow of the ship. It was a really fun thing to watch, and the passengers all gave them a hearty applause when they were done. Very memorable:

7228437428_b069b2cf5b_z.jpg

Thanks for sharing and PLEASE continue and join me going down memory lane. there is something about writing a review or poring over photographs that forces you to revisit you vacation. Please do so hear and share along with me, you just might enjoy it and we will get to see your photos.

I would have loved to have cruise ships in the locks with us, can you imagine the 3D photos I could have gotten then?

So much for my story telling abilities.

I think I have not expressed myself correctly. I am emailing with someone to whom I am sending 3D files. They mentioned that they did not know Princess had wave pools. Please let me be clear, it is not a wave pool but rather just reactions by the water in the pools to the rough seas the ship was experiencing.

R50.jpg

Love the photo. Now that looks fun! Did you go in the "Wave Pool"???

I cannot begin to tell you how much you have increased my excitement for our upcoming cruise. Your photos are the nicest I have ever seen of the canal adventure.

I would be very interested in seeing the card of the person that did your private tour of Cartagena if you can find it.

Please take care of yourself.

Thank you for posting. I just added this cruise to my bucket list!

No bucket list would be complete without a transit of the canal (or at lease a partial transit.)

This has become one of my favorite parts off the day. Coming home, getting a cup of coffee, booting up my laptop and reading the next part of your review and staring aimlessly at the pictures. And to think in less than 7 weeks, I'll be doing it myself. :)

Thanks again,

Debbie

What you insinuate is that you are coming home "From Work". I used to do that as well. You need to get a life, quit work and take up travel full time. Life begins in retirement, spending the money my girls think they are getting:D

Thanks for the posts.

Edited by wilfros

Love the photo. Now that looks fun! Did you go in the "Wave Pool"???

What I told my wife as she and my Sister were headed to the pool, asking me to join them... If I went in the pool who would take the photos you all say you are enjoying. I have responsibilities you know! People are counting on me :D

I cannot begin to tell you how much you have increased my excitement for our upcoming cruise. Your photos are the nicest I have ever seen of the canal adventure.

I would be very interested in seeing the card of the person that did your private tour of Cartagena if you can find it.

Please take care of yourself.

Whimsy Please believe me when I tell you I have not forgotten. My wife assures me she has the card but has yet to produce it. Asking too many times in a short duration tends to get me in trouble (you know what I mean??). she is out walking the dog right now but I will dare to ask her again when she returns.

If there are no further posts on this thread you will know what happened, and if you wish to send help that is always appreciated ;)

Edited by wilfros

If you want to pre-book, check out Lee Miles (Mr. Emerald) - he was GREAT to work with - he's not the guide, he contracts out drivers..

Review from our 2011 trip:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1508966

Quick note - I do notice his website has not been updated, hope he is ok.

Also, Claudia (last name escapes me is excellent)

You can get a lot of suggestions in the Cartagena POC forum.

Can you please elaborate how you found your guide a little more? We are thinking of doing the same, hiring someone at the port...if it is safe.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I have got to tell you that I love your review for more than one reason. We will be going on the Coral in about a month and I love seeing what you have to say and the pictures are out of this world. WOW - some of the best I have ever seen. But, more so, you sound just like my dad. If my dad were to write a review it would be almost the same. Trust me when I say that is the biggest compliment I could give anyone. The other day your post your said you would post more after supper. My dad is the only one I know that says supper instead of dinner. Earlier today talking about not asking your wife to many times, sounds just like my dad. My dad loved to travel and he loved the Panama Canal when he traveled there as well. I get very excited when I see you have posted more information. Thank you for putting a huge smile on my face.

Earlier today talking about not asking your wife to many times, sounds just like my dad.

Wow that is a high compliment indeed, thank you very much

From your quote above, I can only assume your Dad underwent the same "Intensive Spousal Training Program" (ISTP for short) that I went through. He has my admiration. During the darkest hours of this program mere survival is the ultimate goal. I am thinking of getting jackets made up for those of us how have attended this program (willingly or otherwise :eek:).

Now... if you have, or know anyone who has a 3D TV I am willing to send you some 3D photos of the ship and the canal. If you are happy with the photos here you would really enjoy them in 3D. I had friends over, who just got off Royal and even after the new Royal Princess with all her trappings, they loved looking at this older ship because it was in 3D. You could always take the files on a flash drive to your local Futureshop or BestBuy and have them demonstrate the TVs using these files, that was you get to see them LOL.

Glad to have you joining this thread and happy you are enjoying it.

Coral Princess Atrium (Piazza???)

P1093468.jpg

If you want to pre-book, check out Lee Miles (Mr. Emerald) - he was GREAT to work with - he's not the guide, he contracts out drivers..

Review from our 2011 trip:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1508966

Quick note - I do notice his website has not been updated, hope he is ok.

Also, Claudia (last name escapes me is excellent)

You can get a lot of suggestions in the Cartagena POC forum.

Loonbeam Thanks for sharing this information. I am sure it is appreciated by the readers.

Edited by wilfros