Who does more things for you Butler or Concierge??

Sam The Cat

I always have a suite when I sail NCL Guess I have been spoiled.

After the cruise with my mother for her birthday I have re thought who should get more of a tip, the butler or the concierge

In the past I have tipped the concierge more but after what the butler did for our mother I have begun to re think this.

My DM, my DS and her DH had regular balcony rooms and me in my suite. I mentioned to the butler that we were going to Cagneys for her birthday. He brought a birthday cake to my suite for an after dinner dessert and during the criuse checked on me and brought me snacks which is the norm while the concierge made dinner reservations for me and got us priority tender passses and heered off the ship

Your thoughts on who does more and if one should get a bigger tip

Each ship is different and every passenger is different.

On Epic in 2010, the butler did everything. In 2013, the butler role was rolled back and the concierge did so much more.

Some don't use either and some use one more than the other. I have cruised and rarely used the concierge. I tip more who I use more. Simple as that. There is no formula for everyone since there are so many variables.

Edited by david_sobe

I dont usually ask the concierge for much and if I dont he really doesn't interact but the butler has a list of duties that he must fulfill each day

Taking care of the room, leaving nightly treats etc etc

But it is hard to say who does more because it depends on you as the passenger

For me its the butler but that can change.

For instance my friends banged on my door because i was late for our shore excursion. (There was a time change i didnt know about) i ran out of the room like lightning down to deck 4 to realize I didnt have my room key with me. I called carlos and he met me on 13 to open the haven door and then the door to my room so I can get my key

So its an individual thing on how much you use them both.

In our suite experience last year, the butler did much more for us than the concierge. We only asked the concierge for help with dinner reservations, and we utilized his services for early debarkation in St Petersburg (which ended up NOT being early debarkation afterall :mad: ).

We ended up tipping the butler more than the concierge, but I agree with others... your tip should be guided by the amount and quality of service you have received.

On our last cruise our butler was amazing and seemed to know what we wanted before we wanted it. Our concierge was nearly invisible and seemed to be bothered by any (few) requests and got most of them wrong. (Wrong number of reservations, wrong time, wrong restaurant, etc.). She did facilitate changing excursions impacted by the miserable weather. We saw her three time...when we boarded, when she trolled for tips on the last day as we had our last Haven lunch, and when we gathered to leave the ship.

The Haven Butler was really wonderful and our cabin steward was terrific. Since all three contributed equally to our wonderful experience, the three of them were tipped equally while the concierge received a lesser amount.

On our Pearl cruise (first Haven experience) the concierge, Anoop, was amazing and seemed to be everywhere at once without being intrusive. We tipped him like crazy!!!

Bottom line - I don't think there's really a 'one cruise fits all' answer to the question. We started with a baseline amount in our budget then added/subtracted with the experience.

I agree with others that the tip is entirely dependent on the experience. My last two cruises, the Butlers, including the Haven Courtyard Butler on Jade, provided extraordinary service and were always present, it seemed, so their tip was proportionate.

For the first time I used the shoreside concierge this week. She was very pleasant and extremely helpful. Had me laughing by the end of the call and wanting the next two weeks to fast forward to embarkation. Here's what she did for me:

-Pillow selections from the pillow menu, suggesting a pillow to try in addition to the memory foam pillow I requested

-She proactively asked if there were any allergies in case the feather duvet needed to be swapped out

-confirmed 3 specialty restaurant reservations and put a request in for the on board concierge to book us for the Chef's Table and brunch in Le Bistro

-offered spa reservations and assistance with shore excursions

-wished me a happy anniversary and hinted that we shouldn't order dessert at dinner that night (a cake is in the works, I suspect)

It was a wonderful experience, and if it was on board, would have been deserving of a nice tip!

We used our butler a lot more than the concierge. He brought us breakfast every morning, lunch several times and always kept our coffee pods and ice bucket(s) full as well as a few special requests. Our concierge helped with some dinner reservations and priority disembarking.

We got envelopes from guest services and tipped in cash.

Edited by brian99

Do you tip with cash? if so when? or is it like RCL and you set up your tip from your Television?

You can tip in cash, or you can go to the front desk and have it added to your shipboard account. They will ask for the name of the person you want to tip. It will be credited to the employee's onboard account. The desk will give you a slip that you can present to the employee as a thank-you.

As for timing, we usually do it at the end of the cruise, the night before we disembark.

What about the automatic service charge of $12 a person per day? How does that factor in with your tips to the butler and concierge?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The butler and concierge don't receive anything from the automatic service charge. However, the room steward does get part of the service charge.

On the Dawn, the concierge (Anoop) was beyond exceptional! Of course, I have to admit that was my first cruise, but he was everywhere and seemed to do everything! We tipped him very well. I'm not sure we used the concierge at all on that cruise.

On the BA last summer, we had an absolutely awesome butler (Lanie) and our concierge (Ruth) was fine but not like Anoop was able to be on a smaller ship. We tipped Lanie a lot more than Ruth as we used the services of Lanie a lot more than Ruth's. Ruth was fine, but we had to seek her out. Anoop seemed to almost anticipate our needs and was always there.

Bottom line on tips: tip what you feel you want to according to what you received! Have a great time!:)

Just got off the Star and this was my first suite. Spoiled for life,

Nelson the butler was very attentive. First day the concierge introduced

himself and never saw him again. I left Nelson and nice tip at the end

and also Tito. I left Omar nothing. Was I wrong?

Just got off the Star and this was my first suite. Spoiled for life,

Nelson the butler was very attentive. First day the concierge introduced

himself and never saw him again. I left Nelson and nice tip at the end

and also Tito. I left Omar nothing. Was I wrong?

No, you were not wrong. I had the same experience on the Star in October. Butler was great. Never saw Omar. Guess who got tipped!

Their is only one concierge supporting all of the suites on the ship so I suspect they get a smaller tip from a larger number of cabins. The butlers in general probably get a larger tip from fewer cabins, but they are expected to provide more personalized service to the cabins they are assigned to.

I think it all works out and we've been very happy with both our butlers and concierges on NCL.

Their is only one concierge supporting all of the suites on the ship so I suspect they get a smaller tip from a larger number of cabins. The butlers in general probably get a larger tip from fewer cabins, but they are expected to provide more personalized service to the cabins they are assigned to.

I think it all works out and we've been very happy with both our butlers and concierges on NCL.

Do all ships only have one concierge? The breakaway has about 80 suites. That would be tough to offer personalized service to them all.

Do all ships only have one concierge? The breakaway has about 80 suites. That would be tough to offer personalized service to them all.

When we were on the Dawn last time their was an asst concierge. The asst is actually the one who walked us to our room right when we boarded. During the rest of the trip we dealt with the concierge so whether there is an asst the whole trip, I'm not sure.

We tipped with cash in a Thank You card with personalized note for each. So our cabin steward, butler and concierge each got one.

What about the room steward in a suite. I guess there is more cleaning for them to do, so would it be nice to tip them extra as well?

Absolutely! :D

What about the room steward in a suite. I guess there is more cleaning for them to do, so would it be nice to tip them extra as well?

The room steward is covered by the daily service charge. However, if you have received exceptional service, you are welcome to leave them something extra. It is not required.