Carnival Paradise Questions.....

justusfour2014

Planning our first cruise for March and thought I had it picked out - can't seem to make up my mind. Now, I'm rethinking my itinerary. First was Bahamas, water might be cold, so now thinking Cozumel.

Here is my question, and I've done a lot of research regarding the Carnival Ships, who has been upgraded, etc. What are your opinions, comments, etc. about the Paradise ship in Tampa? I have an 11 year old daughter (only cares about having a fun day at sea -- pool, slides, etc.), almost 15 year old son (only cares about going snorkeling - easy enough), and my hubby (who only requires "floaties" to wear on the ship as he is not real excited about being on a boat, but doing it because the rest of us want to).

Any comments, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Kindly,

justusfour2014

Planning our first cruise for March and thought I had it picked out - can't seem to make up my mind. Now, I'm rethinking my itinerary. First was Bahamas, water might be cold, so now thinking Cozumel.

Here is my question, and I've done a lot of research regarding the Carnival Ships, who has been upgraded, etc. What are your opinions, comments, etc. about the Paradise ship in Tampa? I have an 11 year old daughter (only cares about having a fun day at sea -- pool, slides, etc.), almost 15 year old son (only cares about going snorkeling - easy enough), and my hubby (who only requires "floaties" to wear on the ship as he is not real excited about being on a boat, but doing it because the rest of us want to).

Any comments, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Kindly,

justusfour2014

Hi there! What cruise were you thinking about? We are going on the March 13 cruise to Cozumel on the Paradise. DH and I took a second honeymoon on her last August. She is wonderful. We found the food to be fantastic and the staff to be even better.

When we are in Cozumel we go to Mr. Sanchos. We love it. Beautiful beach, great service, great food, and great drinks. I have never been on a ship that has the 2.0 upgrades. This ship will have the brunch by then, and it has the Punchliner comedy club.

I'm not sure what else you would like to know, but I will try to help answer your questions if you have any.

Thanks for responding Jlindemer!

I have read good reviews, and then bad reviews. I've read it's an older ship that needs major updating. The original ship/itinerary I was looking at was the Fascination to Bahamas because my BFF sailed on it in October, 2013. It has been refurbished with all upgrades. Her boys raved about it, but I think Bahamas that time of year might have some cold waters. I just don't want my kids to be disappointed with a small pool and nothing else.

Our Spring Break starts March 22 and was through April 4th, but snow days have now essentially taken the second week. So, I'm flexible really because the week before Spring Break and after are much cheaper -- so they miss some school. :)

I guess anything and everything you know would be great, as I really don't know what to ask. I'm just trying to make sure the kids will happy. I'll be happy because I'm there with them and not home working.

Thanks again!

We went on the Paradise out of Tampa in December. The ship is older and doesn't have waterworks. It dies have a small slide that dumps into the swimming pool. Although the shop is small, the staff was wonderful. Cozumel is our favorite port, so it would be no contest for us over the Bahamas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for responding Jlindemer!

I have read good reviews, and then bad reviews. I've read it's an older ship that needs major updating. The original ship/itinerary I was looking at was the Fascination to Bahamas because my BFF sailed on it in October, 2013. It has been refurbished with all upgrades. Her boys raved about it, but I think Bahamas that time of year might have some cold waters. I just don't want my kids to be disappointed with a small pool and nothing else.

Our Spring Break starts March 22 and was through April 4th, but snow days have now essentially taken the second week. So, I'm flexible really because the week before Spring Break and after are much cheaper -- so they miss some school. :)

I guess anything and everything you know would be great, as I really don't know what to ask. I'm just trying to make sure the kids will happy. I'll be happy because I'm there with them and not home working.

Thanks again!

We mainly choose to sail these ships because they go to Cozumel. And DH loves Mr. Sanchos. We do not enjoy the Bahamas. I would love to go on the Breeze if I could. That said, if you can afford to go on the Breeze (or Fascination in your case) and take that much time off, I would do that.

The Paradise is a nice ship. I did not feel that she needed a major update. Of course, I would love to see the burrito bar and Guy's on her, but I was happy with her the way she is. There is mini golf and a track on one deck. Another deck has a pool plus a kids pool (the kids pool was like a hot tub, but without the hot). The main pool was always crowded. Always. We always went to the pool in back. I did not use the water slide since it was just DH and I on the cruise. The kids felt the water was too cold in March to swim. This was on the ship. I think i read they empty the pool daily and refill it with water. I would think the water would always be cold if that were the case. Especially in March.

One of our favorite things to do can be done on any ship. Play games in the lobby and enjoy a few drinks. The kids get the soda card and we all just have fun. No phones, no computers, no distractions. Just the four of us focusing on our family.

I chose March 13 because the in-laws are visiting during Spring Break. This is a way to completely relax before they arrive. I may need to book another for the weekend after they leave. :p

There are a lot of videos on Youtube that give you a good idea of what the ship looks like.

We were on the Paradise in December too. Even though the ship is older, we had a great time. There are several pools, but only one slide like someone else said. And while our son like doing the water slides on some of the other ships, Cozumel and Grand Cayman are much better than Nassau. We went to stingray city and snorkeled at Grand Cayman and Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. But you can do Paradise beach or something cheaper in Cozumel. I think you get a better value on the Paradise because it is an older ship. But, IMO, any cruise is a good cruise!

Carrieluvsgreg - thanks for responding! It seems Cozumel is much preferred over Bahamas.

Fascination is out of Jacksonville, which is only a 10-12 drive for us - thus the reasoning there. Paradise is in Tampa, which is about a 15 hour drive - not a big deal as we drive to Orlando every Spring break for a vacation. Trying to switch is up this year.

Also, going with small ship our first time might be the way to go. Just looking at all the options.

Thanks!

We mainly choose to sail these ships because they go to Cozumel. And DH loves Mr. Sanchos. We do not enjoy the Bahamas. I would love to go on the Breeze if I could. That said, if you can afford to go on the Breeze (or Fascination in your case) and take that much time off, I would do that.

The Paradise is a nice ship. I did not feel that she needed a major update. Of course, I would love to see the burrito bar and Guy's on her, but I was happy with her the way she is. There is mini golf and a track on one deck. Another deck has a pool plus a kids pool (the kids pool was like a hot tub, but without the hot). The main pool was always crowded. Always. We always went to the pool in back. I did not use the water slide since it was just DH and I on the cruise. The kids felt the water was too cold in March to swim. This was on the ship. I think i read they empty the pool daily and refill it with water. I would think the water would always be cold if that were the case. Especially in March.

One of our favorite things to do can be done on any ship. Play games in the lobby and enjoy a few drinks. The kids get the soda card and we all just have fun. No phones, no computers, no distractions. Just the four of us focusing on our family.

I chose March 13 because the in-laws are visiting during Spring Break. This is a way to completely relax before they arrive. I may need to book another for the weekend after they leave. :p

There are a lot of videos on Youtube that give you a good idea of what the ship looks like.

I have looked at youtube, and all the cruise sites. I've gone mad researching and looking!lol

Relaxing before the inlaws arrive -- good idea!

Thank you for the information. I really do appreciate it. It helps to get a perspective from someone who has actually been on her, as opposed to seeing pictures and such. I just need to make a decision.

Allison0523 - thanks for responding! I honestly do appreciate everyone responding with their comments. It truly does help.

I have not cruised before so I have nothing to compare it too. I just want fun, sun and family time. I'm sure whatever I pick everyone will enjoy.

But snorkeling in Grand Cayman -- added to list! Thank you.

We were on the Paradise in December too. Even though the ship is older, we had a great time. There are several pools, but only one slide like someone else said. And while our son like doing the water slides on some of the other ships, Cozumel and Grand Cayman are much better than Nassau. We went to stingray city and snorkeled at Grand Cayman and Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. But you can do Paradise beach or something cheaper in Cozumel. I think you get a better value on the Paradise because it is an older ship. But, IMO, any cruise is a good cruise!

Allison0523 -- questions about Stingray City. I found their site and was looking at it as the reviews for this excursion is "highly" rated. My concern (fear) is that they still have their barbs. How safe is it really? I mean everyone seems to say it's extremely safe, fun, amazing, etc. but I still worry about the barbs. And, if you can't tell, I'm a worrier (LOL).

Thanks!

Did this last May and loved it, Cozumel is much better than Nassau and we loved Grand Cayman as well. Ship is older, but was the last Fantasy class ship built. Wonderful staff and we had a great time.

BenjiRodney - thanks for your reply. I have decided on Cozumel/Grand Cayman itinerary. Now if I can only get my hubby to agree to the second week of spring break (which has now become "snow" make days --meaning kids will miss 5 days of school), but it is almost $500.00 cheaper and we could spend that on something else. Older ship as people say, but we've never been on one so we have absolutely nothing to compare it too!

Thanks again!

SUGGESTION: Avoid the Bahamas whenever possible, Cozumel is great and has terrific snorkeling, and the Paradise can be a nice first cruise experience.

ShotoJuku -- thanks for your reply. Decision is made and Cozumel it is. As I just posted, gotta get the hubby to agree to the second week of Spring break and then I can book it!! Then book an excursion, etc. Can't freakin' wait!

Thanks again!

I cruised with my 15 year old son on the Paradise last year. Ship was beautiful. Plenty to do. We stopped in Grand Cayman and swam with the rays. Stopped in Cozumel and took the 7 hour excursion to Tulum. Yes it was a long day but worth every second of it.

A place like no other.

We have cruised many ships, much bigger with terrific water slides (Disney Dream) but we choose this ship because it's going to Cozumel & Grand Cayman! So we are sure to have some nice weather and not freezing water like in Nassau & the Bahamas! ;)

Like some said, for a first cruise save money and go in Paradise :D;)

Leaving on March 3rd on the Paradise!!!!

(BTW we are driving 26 hrs to Tampa :eek:;) )

We were on the Paradise in Feb 2013. Our first cruise and it was fantastic. I really don't know how any ship could beat Paradise. Small and intimate, she is just great. As for the stingrays, some have had their barbs removed and others haven't. We did an excursion with Moby Dick tours. Worth every penny. They had an intimate knowledge of the stingrays which they explain on the way out to the middle of the lagoon. After the talk, I felt completely safe to touch the rays. They've been feeding there for generations and are very calm and relaxed. First we snorkeled for 45 min then we went to the sand bar and got in the water with the stingrays. The guides with Moby Dick tours get in the water with you and point out the different rays by name, tell you a little about them and we even got to feed them shrimp. We heald them in our arms and they swam around our legs, brushing up against us. It was the coolest experience ever!!! Do it. I highly recommend Moby Dick tours. They were prompt and professional. We had our 4 and 7 year old sons with us and never worried for their safety. Water was just over waist high deep for the average adult where we stood with the rays. Awesome experience!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Just back from the Paradise on Thursday.

She's a great little ship IMO. Still in good shape and kept well maintained. She's set up a little differently and still has the slide at the main Lido pool instead of the waterworks like others in her class. People seemed to really like this as the slide was busy all day and I saw all ages using it.

There are two hot tubs on Lido as well. The front one is adults only and that rule was strictly enforced while we were on board. The one under the slide is fair game tho from what I saw.

There is also an area one deck up toward the aft with another full size pool, a clearly marked kiddie pool and a hot tub. I didn't see many people using the pools or hot tub, but the loungers were popular for sunning since this deck is completely open with zero shade.

Passengers on this sailing were mostly 50+ but I did see a good number of young adults as well. Could have been the time of year accounting for that. But we saw few children at all and the ones we did see were preschool age.

That's all I can think of that would be helpful. Any questions just ask. :)

We were on Paradise a couple weeks ago and had a blast. It is small and kind of outdated- but service was great and the kids had so much fun! We had 6 kids in our group- and they all found plenty to do (and EAT!) Have a great time!! I would be happy to answer any question you have (if I can- it was 2 weeks ago so its fresh in my mind....sigh.... I want to go back)

I think the stingray excursion is relatively safe. But, you are in the ocean doing it. There are certainly other dangers of being in the ocean but we felt completely safe and took our 5 year old on the excursion. And we run into the same issues with school. But it has snowed so much here he has missed an additional 8 days. Whatever you decide, I think you will have fun!

We are going back to grand cayman this April and will be doing the sting ray excursion (booking outside of carnival to save $$). I can't believe I forgot all about it... I happened upon it when I was searching for other things to do there as it will be our third time. The first time I wanted to do this excursion but we were traveling with another couple and she wouldn't even entertain the idea. Last time we were with our kids (who would've really loved it...) and we did a tour that included Hell, the Tortuga factory and the turtle farm. It was an excellent excursion and the turtle farm was amazing! So that's another option that would keep you dry.

As far as Cozumel, we've been there 6 times, I think. We have had trips that we just walked around downtown and interacted with the locals and shopped, we have taken a cab to Chankanaab and rented snorkel equipment, most recently we rented a jeep from Alamo and toured the island at our own pace. It's a very friendly island that is also wonderfully beautiful. We will be going back there in April as well. This time I think we're going back downtown in a taxi, walk around, talk to the locals and have some great food. (We've found some pretty amazing "off the beaten path" establishments. We try to make it a point not to eat at the Hard Rock or Margarittaville because that's not authentic area food. (Great food, but we can get it in the US).

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Especially, Cozumel- like I said, it's our favorite port.

I've sailed "Paradise" over and over again, simply because it's such a great ship, and crew, and offers fantastic service, and superior ports. I have no doubt that you'll have a fantastic time aboard, and in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Have no fears, it's gonna be GREAT!

"SKY"

We sailed the Paradise last month on the 5 night and loved it. Our favorite was Cozumel... My 2 oldest daughters (10 and 8 ) did a dolphin swim with my hubby at Chankanaab. We would definitely sail the Paradise again. We sailed with our 5 kids (1,4,6,8,10) and all had a great time. I have many pictures if you are interested in seeing.