Planning a cruise more than a year in advance?

mszpolaris

Hello everyone!

I'm planning on purchasing an Alaska cruise next summer (2015) for my mother and I, but I noticed the prices are quite high compared to 2014. Is it smart to book a cruise so far in advanced? Whenever I've cruised, we have purchased them maybe a max 3 months in advance.

Thank you!

We have booked many a cruise through the years a year in advance. If the price drops before final payment, you usually can get an adjustment.

IF you are using a TA, be certain exactly what their cancellation policy is so you wouldn't have a nasty surprise should you need to cancel.

It is not unusual for people to book this far in advance.

I've never use a TA before, usually a quick search on the internet. I wouldn't even know where to start with a TA

Make sure that there isn't a cancellation or change fee, no matter how you intend to book. Personally, I avoid those online agencies as then I won't have a person other than an operator to talk to (and I'm guessing most of them have never seen the ocean, must less been on a cruise). A real brick and mortar agency that you can walk into will assign you a TA that you can ask for when you call. We've booked directly with the cruise line, but with the booking department, so I would have the name of someone who most likely will be still working there by the time of my cruise -- which may not be the case with these online agencies. You might get a cruise cheaper, but you'll get better service if you go through an agency that wants your repeat business.

Our Alaskan cruise we did book about eight months ahead. Enough time to plan out our travel (via train, getting there at least a day ahead), our pre and post cruise hotel, and rental cars. Our first Hawaiian cruise we booked 13 months ahead as it was sold out early the year before and we definitely wanted to do it and get a midship cabin.

You can book now, or wait another year to book.

If you see a price you are fine paying, then go ahead and book.

Alaska prices tend to come down as the date gets closer, but if you have your heart set on a certain cabin, then the sooner the better.

I've never use a TA before, usually a quick search on the internet. I wouldn't even know where to start with a TA

I do all the research -- buy deposits while cruising -- once we decide what cruise we want -- call the TA -- give her the certificate numbers and she books the cruise.

She knows what we like, dining time, fills out forms for shipboard credit, fills out the medical form, etc.

And if we need to cancel a cruise -- no fee.

Hello everyone!

I'm planning on purchasing an Alaska cruise next summer (2015) for my mother and I, but I noticed the prices are quite high compared to 2014. Is it smart to book a cruise so far in advanced? Whenever I've cruised, we have purchased them maybe a max 3 months in advance.

Thank you!

We prefer to book cruises anywhere from 1 year to 1 1/2 years in advance so that we can get the cabin we want.

If we see the price go down before final payment, we call our TA and have her get us the lower price.

We always book way out. In fact we have our 3rd Alaskan cruise booked and still have 600 days to go.

Different cruise lines may be different, but with the last 2 Alaskan cruises we have taken, prices for our category (mini-suites) have only gone up until they were sold out. We never saw a price drop. Balcony, Ocean View & Inside cabins did though.

My thought would be this. Check the inventory of the cabin type you like. If there is a lot of them, then prices may drop after final payment date but if there is not, then you may be out of luck

Talk to friends who cruise and ask them to recommend someone. It's always best to have an advocate on our side. And they can often get you a small discount or some other bonus (wine, photos, onboard credit) that you can't get for yourself.

Lets discuss the topic from a very practical point of view. The only upside to booking a cruise so far in advance is that you can pretty much select any cabin (it that matters to you). Now lets talk about the downside. Cruise line's run promotions all the time, and many are for "new bookings only." Depending on the cruise line and cruise you might actually pay far more for a cruise booked so far in advance then you would pay for the same cruise booked only a few months in advance.

And then there is the issue of Charters and Revised Itineraries that happen more then many folks might think. You can see some posts right on this board about a Chartered RCI cruise and there is a similar thread on the HAL about a Chartered cruise on the Eurodam. When the cruise lines do this anyone booked on that particular cruise simply has their booking cancelled. Charters are most common on 7 day cruises, so those of us who tend to book much longer cruises seldom have to deal with the Charter issue. But imagine booking a cruise a year in advance, paying for your air 11 months in advance, and then having the cruise line cancel your cruise a month later.

As to the OPs lack of knowledge regarding dealing with Cruise Agencies (generally online) we would only mention that you can, in nearly all cases, save money or get significant amenities by booking through a large reputable cruise agency...as opposed to booking direct with a cruise line. On shorter 7 day cruises it might be something like pre-paid gratutities, a free drink package, or a relatively small (several hundred dollar) on board credit. On much longer cruises we have saved thousands of dollars on a single booking by simply shopping around for the best overall package.

And finally, if you do book a cruise far in advance....it is on you to check (every week) for a major price drop. Most cruise lines will let you rebook and get the lower price (unless it is a promo for new bookings only) but you generally have to ask to get the better deal.

Hank

We typically book a year or more in advance. I'm semi-retired (I own a business and only work "part time" and set my own hours), but my wife is still working a 9-to-5 job. Since she is in the health care business, she needs to put in for her vacation time long in advance. Seniority doesn't count where she works, so the earlier she makes her request the better. We also live on the West coast of the US, and most cruises we want to take either depart from east coast ports, or in Europe somewhere. This means major air travel arrangements, especially if they are overseas. By booking early, we can more easily arrange for time off, watch the airfares for the best bargains, and generally get all of our preparations done at the best times.

You will get answers from people who are retired, so taking time off from work is no concern, or are financially well off, so prices aren't as much of a concern, and some who live on the east coast, so travel arrangements are minimal because they can drive to the port. Many of these people will recommend you just wait until after final payment to get best prices. If you are like them, then this might be the way to go. If you are like my wife and I, planning way ahead is critical in being able to arrange your vacations.

As for price drops, there are websites that offer price monitoring services for a very small fee, one as low as $.99 per cruise. You sign up to become a member, pay the fee, enter your cruise, identify all cabin categories you want to monitor, and they will email you if a price drops occurs. Google "cruise price drops" and you will see them. My favorite is near the top of the list. As of January, even Cruise Critic now offers such a service. http://www.cruisecritic.com/price-drop/

Edited by boogs