Our 1st Cruise: What did YOU forget??

Brown Boogie

I don't think I've ever forgotten anything. I have a small file folder and put all the paperwork we need in it in order.(flights, hotel, cruise docs, excursions etc.)

As for packing, put your outfits together and put them on your bed so you can double check what you have. And bring more underwear than you think you will need.

Don't forget:

card with magnetic strip for the safe (old gift card, AAA card)

flashlight

small bills for tipping

alarm clock

post it notes

Have fun!!

drawstring bag or other bag to haul towels, sunscreen, etc around in port and not have to take a giant backpack. (we put in hats, or umbrellas, granola bars, souvenirs we pick up at the port as well.) Besides the kids can carry them and mom doesn't get stuck being the pack mule in all the ports.:p

On our first cruises we always brought bottled water. We soon figured out that the water on the ship was fine (we don't drink bottled water at home) and that it was a pain to carry the water on the ship. Now we just carry refillable water bottles and fill them to have on the deck and also to carry with us when we get off in ports.

The only thing we forgot on our first cruise was the kitchen sink.:D:D:D

I wish there was a like button. Because even though I am going on my 7th cruise...and even though I say I won't do it again....I always over pack and only use 1/3 of what I bring.

On our very first cruise, I was sure I brought my camera battery charger but couldn't find it anywhere!! Ended up buying an expensive replacement in grand cayman. Then found it in my suitcase later. The charger was a black box about 1"x2" and I just didn't see it against the black lining of my suitcase! :confused:

The one item we have taken every cruise that has been invaluable is a power bar!! With so many different rechargeables - phones, cameras, iPods, ereaders, etc - it has always gotten a lot of use.

I've made a cruise checklist on Word that I keep in my computer & every time I pack I print it off. As it goes in the suitcase/bags it gets checked off the list. :)

Would you mind sharing your checklist? I'm a list maker too so this may help me start mine. Thank you!!

It also not what did you forget to bring but what you forgot to keep out when packing to go home..On our first cruise sister-in-law forgot to keep her bra out and of course the luggage was gone gone and the funny part of it, her tee-shirt she was wearing had two palm trees on the front of it,, LOL They were swaying in the breeze til we got to the airport, we don't let her live that down to this day. I know what they say about packing all the extra things but I would rather have it that week then pay the prices on the ship or in ports. As long as I don't mind carrying it nobody else should worry about it.:rolleyes: I enjoy everyone tips to what they take.

Would you mind sharing your checklist? I'm a list maker too so this may help me start mine. Thank you!!

Hey, I also would love to see your list! I, too, am a list maker and would just like to compare our lists and maybe even revise mine. Thanks in advance.

First of all I would like to thank everyone for such outstanding incite and knowledge about these cruises. We are heading on our 1st one Feb 23 on the Magic to Roatan>Belize>Cozumel.

What did you forget on your 1st cruise and said "dang...should of brought that"??

Thanks CC Family!!

Joseph

First, B.B., yours may be the best question I have ever seen asked on Cruise Critic!

I can only echo what some have already said. Beyond the types of items that are truly forgotten (certain clothing, prescribed meds, etc.), we also find the following too invaluable to overlook:

-highlighter for planning the day in the FunTimes (or equivalent publication)

-over the counter drug store items (sunscreen, Advil, antacids for the sharp increase in rich foods! etc.) Overwhelmingly expensive on ship.

-small flashlight for room navigation at night without waking others.

-small battery travel alarm.

-pen and some note paper.

-M&M Peanuts (That one may be a bit personal).

Enjoy the cruise.

On our first family cruise in 2005, my wife had spent "hours" shopping for beautiful dresses for our 8 yo daughter to wear for dinner. She wanted us to go semi-formal and look nice. At home on Tuesday before our cruise my wife wanted to pack our suitcases; our flight didn't leave till Saturday. In my wisdom I said no the clothes will get all wrinkled. My wife had left all these nice dresses and clothes hanging on my daughter's closet door. The night before the cruise helped pack our 10 yo son's clothes and my wife took care of my daughter. So we get on the ship, go to our room and get our luggage and start unpacking. 10 minutes in my wife says "where are Katie's dresses??". Well..... they were still hanging on her closet door back home. It was by far the most stressful 30 minutes of my life and marriage as I thought my wife was going to blow a gasket and of course it was MY FAULT. After 30 ' she settled down. We made due for the first formal night and went shopping in downtown Cozumel which was our first stop and we found a great store for young girls. Vacation saved!! So guys, pack the clothes when the boss says pack the clothes.:)

I haven't forgotten it yet and would survive if I did but we always take Gatorade powder with us. After being in the sun, sometimes drinking too much or just sick(hopefully never) its great to add to the water.

I have long curly hair and use a wide-toothed comb with a handle which I forgot. My husband generally uses my comb when he needs one (his hair in not too long) so he didn't pack one. The only combs I could find to buy were very small toothed combs, which I would never get out of my hair. LoL. I always make sure to pack 2 combs now, just to be sure! Finger-combing just doesn't cut it.

Last 2 vacations (not cruises) DH said he would pick out and pack his own stuff and didn't need my checklist...suffice it to say only one pair of pants in Paris is not ideal. I will be using the checklist for his stuff for our cruise in March! ;o)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haven't forgotten anything for a cruise yet, knock on wood.

But that might have something to do with the fact that my first anime convention I forgot to pack deoderant, multiple under garments, as well as toothpaste and tooth brush. After that mind searing lesson. I make a list every trip, listing everything I need. Then I pack it checking it off, and the last thing on the packing list? The packing list so I make sure to bring everything home with me.

My husband is now asking me to read off the list for him, so he doesn't forget anything either.

Well before it is time to pack, I start a list of things that we use everyday (like toothpaste, toothbrush, contact stuff) and also things that we might forget like charges, cords, cameras. I add to it the clothes we need (depending on where we are traveling - shorts vs pants, etc). Create your own lists based on your own needs and preferences. I save mine in word so I can update/change as needed and also have it with me when we pack up at the end of the trip to make sure I am not leaving anything behind.

Have a wonderful trip.

I've shared this with other friends who are cruising and it gets added to each time I take a cruise... feel free to use and modify for your purposes:

Anti-bacterial cream

Baby powder

Bandaids, Bandages

Bathing suits- in carryon

Beach bag

Binoculars

Blouses

Body lotion

Books

Bottled Water- 12 20oz non-alcoholic per person- keep in carry-ons

Bug spray

Camera plus accessories

Chapstick

Clorox Sanitary wipes

Corkscrew

Deck of cards- can be gotten from Guest Services for free

Deodorant

Dress pants

Dresses

Fan

Fanny pack

Febreeze for bathroom!

First aid kit

Flashlight

Ginger pills

Hair dryer

Hairbrushes

Hand sanitizer

Hanging organizer- helpful in bathroom

Hats

Highlighter pen (marking daily Fun Times paper)

Insulated coffee mugs

Knapsack

Lanyards- can be gotten from Guest Services for free

Luggage tags- laminated with clear packing tape

Magnet clips- walls of cabin are metal- can hang items on wall

Nightlight

Notebook & pen

Passports/travel docs

Power strip

Prescriptions

Q Tips

Razor & charger

Running shoes

Sandals

Scissors

Shoes

Shirts- dress & casual

Shorts

Shower scrubbie

Small hardsided cooler

Socks

Sunglasses

Sunscreen

Sweater/hoodie

Tissues

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Travel Clock

Underwear

Wine- 1 bottle per person allowed

Zip lock bags- various sizes (large one for swimsuits)

Formatting got messed up but when I put this in a spreadsheet the last column is 'Packed?' and it gets checked ONLY as it goes into the suitcase!:p

You'll notice I even sorted it alphabetically? I'm too fargone... I need a cruise!

Edited by Shaded Lady

I read a thread a few days ago where mom made sure everyone in the family was responsible and had their docs but SHE got to the port and didn't have her!

She was trying to catch a last minute flight to the Bahamas to catch up with the ship. That really sounds like something I would do so my docs go in my suitcase as soon as their printed. :eek:

Well I hope you don't forget to take them out of there !!!

Here is an attachment for my cruise/vacation checklist:

[ATTACH]300291[/ATTACH]

Hopefully this works..have never tried posting attachment before!

Wow! Lukydog- how'd you do that? I wanted to attach my list but couldn't figure out how... so I copied & pasted.

Wow! Lukydog- how'd you do that? I wanted to attach my list but couldn't figure out how... so I copied & pasted.
under the box where you write your comment..scroll down to "Additional options" & there is a box that says "manage attachments". Use this to pull your file from your computer. Then if I remember right (senior moment :o) you can post it from the attatchments pull down menu top right of this box (the box you type comment in). Edited by lukydog