Our 1st Cruise: What did YOU forget??

Brown Boogie

I usually over pack, but I always make sure that I have first-aid type items with me. Advil, band-aids, etc. If you wear contacts, don't forget the solution and an extra pair! You don't want to be on a cruise and not be able to see anything!

Nothing until this last cruise....

WATER PILLS!!! :eek: aka Diurex, etc.

I've never needed them on a cruise before and have never brought them with me.

Also, I travel with a small pharmacy but this time, for some reason, my ankles got seriously swollen.

It was horrible :(

They DO NOT sell them on the ship and you can NOT get them at the Infirmary either because they're considered medication.

I saw people with their legs wrapped, etc.

They are now in my traveling drug store.

Good one!! I had swelling issues on our last cruise and definitely need to add this to my list!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...to place ALL liquids in a ziploc bag. On our 1st cruise in Sept. 2012 I opened my suitcase to find PINK Pepto Bismol all over my clothes. It came out in the wash but there is still a huge stain in my suitcase. Good thing I packed EVERYTHING (lol). I had some Tide Pods and dryer sheets but had to wait forever at Customer Service for quarters.

@PresDuLac THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ME. Last cruise my ankles were so swollen.

First of all I would like to thank everyone for such outstanding incite and knowledge about these cruises. We are heading on our 1st one Feb 23 on the Magic to Roatan>Belize>Cozumel.

What did you forget on your 1st cruise and said "dang...should of brought that"??

Thanks CC Family!!

Joseph

Forgot the waterproof backdoor to my gorpo hero 3 + black....found one in Cozumel for 5$ more expensive than bestbuy!

I have long curly hair and use a wide-toothed comb with a handle which I forgot. My husband generally uses my comb when he needs one (his hair in not too long) so he didn't pack one. The only combs I could find to buy were very small toothed combs, which I would never get out of my hair. LoL. I always make sure to pack 2 combs now, just to be sure! Finger-combing just doesn't cut it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know what you mean. I always bring my own brand of conditioner because I wouldn't be able to comb through my hair without it.

Forgot DH's cuff links for formal night once. Another time forgot his "dress" socks. It seems like it's always something for him, lol. He yells at me for forgetting and then I tell him he should pack his own things! ;)

Ha! Ha! That's pretty typical!:D

If you pack half the stuff people suggest on CC, you'll need a truck to drive you to the pier.

The key items you must never forget are:

- credit cards / cash

- appropriate id (passport/drivers license/etc)

- prescription medication (although you may be able to replace this too)

Double/triple/quadruple check you have those before you leave your driveway and you'll be fine. Anything else can be bought later, albeit a bit expensive.

One year, we forgot the keys for the mini locks on our luggage. However, even that was mitigated by using a ball point pen. If you're curious, Google it. :-)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Great advice but you forgot one important thing...TRAVEL DOC :DUMENTS! (Tickets, pre-paid excursion confirmations, receipts for anything pre-paid, etc.).

My 16 y/o son was told for 2 weeks to get his things ready for the cruise. I kept hearing "it only takes me a second, don't worry!" The morning of the trip he put his suitcase together, "see, just a sec!"

Getting dressed for the first elegant night, he pulled on his slacks and they were easily 2" too short! He'd grown much taller since the last trip!

Make sure things still fit!

OMG! How many times over the years have I heard that from my DS who is now 18. It's why I always made sure to check his suitcase before we left to make sure everything he needed was there. I'm still doing this and he's in college now! LOL! "It only takes a second mom!" Right, night before leaving...Son, you didn't pack your toothbrush, your phone charger, your swim shoes, your, etc., etc.,...Well you get the picture! LOL! But gotta say...I love that kid!:D

Here is an attachment for my cruise/vacation checklist:

[ATTACH]300291[/ATTACH]

Hopefully this works..have never tried posting attachment before!

This is hilarious!:D:D:D:D:D

When I clicked on to see your packing list...MINE (word document) came up! I tried clicking on yours twice and both times my packing list came up...I think that's a riot!:D

Hubby and I were just talking about this. When we started cruising Carnival they sold dressy clothes in their shops.

We know because on our very first trip, before the days of porters taking your luggage in Miami, you just set your luggage in a square painted on the pavement that had the appropriate letter that correlated with your last name. Our last name is towards the end of the alphabet. Apparently either our box got overcrowded or the A box for the next ship over got over crowded and hubby's dress clothes ended up going on another ship.

We were able to go the the shops on the ship and purchase a white dinner jacket, tuxedo shirt, black slacks, and a boxed bow tie and cummerbund set. He had his socks and shoes and casual clothes. We were able to improvise until our 1st port day when they managed to transfer his luggage to our ship.

They had some beautiful elegant clothes in the shops back then.

I totally remember those days!:D

On my first cruise, I underestimated how cool it can be on board at night, both inside and outside, so bring a light jacket, or wrap for the ladies.

This is one I've learned the hard way! But here's a tip...if you do forget to bring something to keep you warm in the evening breeze or in the dining rooms...you can always check out the $10 for everything stores that are on most Carnival and NCL ships (I dont' know if other ships have them). You can get a shawl in any color of the rainbow. I've got about 4 of them. LOL!:D

Our first cruise I forgot my sons dress pants for formal night. I had them ironed and ready to go but was waiting till the last minute to put them

in the suitcase and forgot them :( ....fortunately we were traveling with

extended family and had a relative that was about the same size as

my son so he was able to borrow a pair from them :rolleyes: ....lesson learned-

won't do that again!;)

For the checklist people (like me), I got the best and most useful gift of a vacation checklist pad. I love it and surprising my husband appreciates it now, too. It is very detailed. I saw them at Pier One during the holidays. No spreadsheet needed:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our first cruise, I forgot to pack my DH dress socks and his dress shoes didn't fit comfortably so he changed right after dinner so couldn't get any good pics w/o cropping out our feet. We went on an August cruise last year and I forgot to pack day/night quill and I came down with a terrible cold. Luckily I had triple antibiotic ointment for my poor nose. Those ship tissues when sick are truly like using low grade sandpaper after a few hundred tissues. Our first cruise, I only brought $50 in ones and the rest in $10 and $20 bills and a few $5...didn't think I would need that many ones but on a Bahamas cruise, you tip on the ferry (couple dollars each way to Paradise Island). Someone takes your picture (couple dollars). Then every time you order room service, we tipped $3 each time. We ended up having to go to guest services and break some of our larger bills. Not a huge deal but I hated waiting in line while on vacation.

Well, we've been on many cruises. This time put car keys in safe place. Hmmm, didn't turn up (in pocket of tote bag) until we were home for a week. Thank goodness we had extra set of car keys to get home from airport. Also, try to remember where you put the slip for the Park'nRide lot. Believe me, you WON'T remember the lot/aisle.