Our 1st Cruise: What did YOU forget??

Brown Boogie

If you plan on getting in the ocean, many of the beaches are very rocky or have coral as you are walking into the water. I would take a pair of water shoes. They will protect your feet so you don't get cut up. I also recommend taking a magnet or two. You can hang important information on the walls. A cup with a lid and straw is great for taking drinks back to your room. I also like to take my own insulated coffee mug to use for the room service coffee. If you like flavored coffee creamer, you will need to bring your own. I usually fill my insulated mug with the little creamer packets I purchase at a grocery store. I hope you have a great time. Just know there is so much to do on the ship, you will never be able to do it all. Make sure you spend time just enjoying the view of the ocean.

First of all I would like to thank everyone for such outstanding incite and knowledge about these cruises. We are heading on our 1st one Feb 23 on the Magic to Roatan>Belize>Cozumel.

What did you forget on your 1st cruise and said "dang...should of brought that"??

Thanks CC Family!!

Joseph

If you do a jungle tour in Blize, bring bugspray.... Bring extra, too. You can sell it for 20 bucks a bottle once people start getting eaten alive!!! Bill.

I always put some of our undergarments in our carry ons. Having had missing luggage once and having to wash my one bra and underpants each night, not fun. If they lose your luggage you may get credit in the shops for replacement clothes but they don't have undergarments.

I pack underclothes, flip flops, nice shoes, bathing suit, coverup, one dinner, outfit and toiletries in carry on. Enough to get me through a few days. We also will put some of each other's clothes in our larger suitcases in case one bag gets lost.

I agree with bringing every kind of over the counter meds you might need. The one time I didn't bring Imodium I needed it. Also bring extra RX meds in case your ship is "delayed" back to port. Since the recent "problems" I have brought some bottled water and granola bars, just in case.

The worst thing wasn't our first cruise, it was our third. My husband forgot all of his clothes for dinner, including shoes. When I asked to help him pack I got the "I can do it myself" :rolleyes: I packed exactly what he laid out (I cross pack the suitcases). We had to go to the store and buy clothes for him the morning of the cruise. Needless to say it was the first and last time he has been responsible for the proper clothes.

And most important of all - your traveling partner(s) :D

Seriously, we made a big booboo on our first cruise (Western as well) and did not inform our cc company we were traveling. MY wife bought jewelry in Cozumel and that evening as I was ordering drinks on the ship I was informed our S&S card was invalid. The drinks were free and I went to the pursers desk and was told the cc has been turned off.

Paid $10/minute to get it straightened out :eek:

So do post a travel notification with your credit card company, you can now do it on line as well.

We were in double digits on cruises and one spring break in the Splendour of the Seas I forgot to leave a shirt out of my luggage for me to wear off the ship. I had a windbreaker pullover in my backpack and I was sweating like crazy when we got to the US Customs desk.

He laughed when I told him the story.

Our very first cruise made us wish we would have thought to bring TWO things.

1. We were on a 7 day cruise and on the 2nd day my husband got sunburned, badly! He was wearing sunscreen but for some reason he darkened. That night he was beyond miserable and I had no aloe (REMEMBER ALOE) so we had to go to the Fun Shop to buy some. $21. Eek!

2. On the same cruise, my husbands eyeglasses broke (the nose piece) and the Fun Shops did not sell a repair kit so he was without glasses the remainder of the cruise.

We were on day 5 of 7 when it happened.

pack all your clothes, then take half out!

extension cord

magnet for cabin wall (great for hanging fun times, notes etc.)

ginger pills (even seasoned sea goers can overindulge on a cruise and these pills will settle a rumbly tummy without making you sleepy! I find even the non-drowsy OTC meds make me tired)

finger nail file or nail clippers

bungee cord for door if you have a balcony cabin

spare sunglasses! I lost mine first day of cruise and had to buy another pair when I must have 4 pairs at home

reading glasses - again, had to buy a pair of readers from the $10 shop to be able to read on my cruise!

sweater, hoodie, some kind of warm covering- many of the show rooms tend to be chilly

Forget to Relax and this was the first 3 or 4 cruises , new islands had to see it all and do it all . Needed a vacation when we got back LOL. Just mix a beach day in is all I am saying.

I completely agree! We were the same way with our first two cruises. We were confined to Carnival Excursions because we felt like we needed to do something big in every port and we missed out on so much by not just being leisurely and walking around.

This next cruise we are taking will be different. We are planning no excursions ahead. Just wander around port, maybe find a taxi and have a beach day/local lunch.

Good advice, Frito.

Edited by surfjock27

our first cruise was a shortish one, maybe 3 days, and followed right on top of a week at the beach. when i go to the beach i don't do jewelry, makeup or dresses and somehow i thought a cruise would be like a stay at the beach - so you could say i forgot makeup jewelry and dresses - or you could say i was a dooofus for not knowing what a cruise would be like.

I completely agree! We were the same way with our first two cruises. We were confined to Carnival Excursions because we felt like we needed to do something big in every port and we missed out on so much by not just being leisurely and walking around.

This next cruise we are taking will be different. We are planning no excursions ahead. Just wander around port, maybe find a taxi and have a beach day/local lunch.

Good advice, Frito.

That would the other thing don't forget that excursions on the islands are very safe and will get you back to the ship at much better price and usually a much smaller crowd . But we always make sure to have a very safe window as well. But I always do a LOT of research on the ports page and find those hidden gems.

On my 3rd cruise, I forgot all my hang up clothes. There are precious little choices for dressy clothes in the ports.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hubby and I were just talking about this. When we started cruising Carnival they sold dressy clothes in their shops.

We know because on our very first trip, before the days of porters taking your luggage in Miami, you just set your luggage in a square painted on the pavement that had the appropriate letter that correlated with your last name. Our last name is towards the end of the alphabet. Apparently either our box got overcrowded or the A box for the next ship over got over crowded and hubby's dress clothes ended up going on another ship.

We were able to go the the shops on the ship and purchase a white dinner jacket, tuxedo shirt, black slacks, and a boxed bow tie and cummerbund set. He had his socks and shoes and casual clothes. We were able to improvise until our 1st port day when they managed to transfer his luggage to our ship.

They had some beautiful elegant clothes in the shops back then.

Definitely not our first cruise, but once I left all of DH's formal wear home, hung up on the back of the door and on another I left all his shorts home...THAT was an expensive replacement..$48 for one pair on the ship to get him by..although I must say the quality of those shorts is fantastic as they still look brand new many years later.:p

Sneakers...I wanted to workout but forgot to bring shoes to do it in :)

Also, I packed way to many clothes, when we go in March I am going to significantly reduce the amount of clothing items I bring. At least that is what I am telling myself now :)

I did bring an extention strip, but silly me brought one that did not work in the room. Remember there is only 1 outlet.

First of all I would like to thank everyone for such outstanding incite and knowledge about these cruises. We are heading on our 1st one Feb 23 on the Magic to Roatan>Belize>Cozumel.

What did you forget on your 1st cruise and said "dang...should of brought that"??

Thanks CC Family!!

Joseph

Hi Joseph :)

It was not on our 1st cruise, but was on an 18-day Princess voyage

with 8 port (beach) days, that my wife & I forgot to pack all of our

bathing suits.

Our first port of call was Bermuda where clothing can be quite expensive.

My wife purchased one & I went swimming in my shorts. Our 2nd port was

Puerto Rico where we both stocked up.

:)

It wasn't our first cruise, by any means, but I forgot to pack hubby's underwear. Had to pay about $36 for 4 pair in the gift shop (they were the wrong size, but at least he did have some tighty (lol) whiteys.

For the Ladies!! Even if it is not your Time of the Month , bring necessary Items with you!! Stress of Travel can cause strange things to happen!! :eek:Also other personal "Bedtime" items you may need! ;):rolleyes: $$very pricey on the ship!!!