feb 2, 2014 sailing/important!!!!

tokidoki

Maybe some of you local guys can give me some insight. To avoid the Lincoln tunnel I was planning on coming down the 280, the Newark turnpike to Holland tunnel. I have reserved parking at Park Right on W 43rd. I was just going to take the west st up to my parking spot from Holland. Think it's doable without giving myself an ulcer? lol

Though you don't say where you are coming from, I think if you're coming from the North, you'd do much better to take the GWB, probably via 80/95. That will get you out of Jersey before you hit the area that will be most affected by the Super Bowl. Also, 280 is a lot closer to the Lincoln Tunnel/Meadowlands area than you think -- in fact, its pretty much one exit south on the Turnpike from the Route 3 exit, and is a main route to the Lincoln for folks in the Newark area; I doubt it will go unscathed by the Super Bowl traffic. On the other hand, if you take the Bridge, you'll be on the NY side of the river well north of what should be the worst of the traffic here in NJ. Also, again, if you're coming from the North, it doesn't seem to me to make sense to go all the way south to the Holland, then "double back" by coming up West Street to the pier. Off the Bridge, you would just take the West Side Highway (which is what West Street is called North of about 57th street) right down to the pier area; there are left exits on the even streets, so you would just exit at 44th and then turn right at the next corner to go down one block to your parking on 43rd.

But, of course, it all depends on where you are coming from. If you are coming from the sourth, while the Holland makes sense, again, I don't think 280 does. Instead, I would take the Turnpike extension that goes directly to the Holland and "breaks off" from the Turnpike well south of the Lincoln Tunnel/Meadowlands area.

(As you can tell, I spend much too much time in my car commuting from Nothern NJ to work in mid-town Manhattan every day!!!!).

Edited by Lizcourt

Though you don't say where you are coming from, I think if you're coming from the North, you'd do much better to take the GWB, probably via 80/95. That will get you out of Jersey before you hit the area that will be most affected by the Super Bowl. Also, 280 is a lot closer to the Lincoln Tunnel/Meadowlands area than you think -- in fact, its pretty much one exit south on the Turnpike from the Route 3 exit, and is a main route to the Lincoln for folks in the Newark area; I doubt it will go unscathed by the Super Bowl traffic. On the other hand, if you take the Bridge, you'll be on the NY side of the river well north of what should be the worst of the traffic here in NJ. Also, again, if you're coming from the North, it doesn't seem to me to make sense to go all the way south to the Holland, then "double back" by coming up West Street to the pier. Off the Bridge, you would just take the West Side Highway (which is what West Street is called North of about 57th street) right down to the pier area; there are left exits on the even streets, so you would just exit at 44th and then turn right at the next corner to go down one block to your parking on 43rd.

But, of course, it all depends on where you are coming from. If you are coming from the sourth, while the Holland makes sense, again, I don't think 280 does. Instead, I would take the Turnpike extension that goes directly to the Holland and "breaks off" from the Turnpike well south of the Lincoln Tunnel/Meadowlands area.

(As you can tell, I spend much too much time in my car commuting from Nothern NJ to work in mid-town Manhattan every day!!!!).

I agree with this. We are pretty directly 10 miles west of NYC, and even when I mapquest it, on a normal day, taking the GWB only adds 10 minutes onto our driving time. We have taken both the lincoln tunnel and the bridge to the pier - the tunnel doesn't save that much time on even a Sunday morning.

Maybe some of you local guys can give me some insight. To avoid the Lincoln tunnel I was planning on coming down the 280, the Newark turnpike to Holland tunnel. I have reserved parking at Park Right on W 43rd. I was just going to take the west st up to my parking spot from Holland. Think it's doable without giving myself an ulcer? lol

Thats the way to go. That's what I'm doing :D

I'm more concerned with traffic in Manhattan. Coming in on GWB makes a long ride down that West Hwy if it's clogged up. Shorter ride from Holland tunnel.

Still undecided. :(

That's pretty much my dilemma every morning -- take the Bridge, which is closer to where I live, and go down the West Side Highway to midtown where I work, or go south to the Lincoln Tunnel and be closer to my office on 50th when I actually cross into Manhattan. Surprisingly, though you would think it would be better to stay out of Manhattan for as long as possible on the trip, the GWB/West Side Highway is almost always the better option (barring something like an accident on the Bridge or on the Cross Bronx, which will back up the Bridge). The West Side can be slow on a weekday, but the GWB/WSH combo rarely gets as bad as the Tunnel.

Also just FYI, though the Holland may look closer to the pier area (and for all I know, technically is) its really not as easy to get from the Holland to the pier as it seems. For one thing, the WSH north of 57th has no lights; West Street below that has lights every other block, and merging traffic every block. Also, going south on the WSH, there are only three entrances/exits before 57th street: 78th, 95th and 125th. Fewer exits/entrances makes for fewer people merging in and better traffic flow. And, as I said before, I would not be going anywhere near 280 on game day.

Bottom line, you will eventually get there, and I would hate to steer you wrong (pun intended) since all of this is crystal ball gazing anyway. All I can say is that if it were me, I'd be taking the GWB/WSH.

One more thing. Once you get in radio reach of NYC, 880 AM has a traffic report every 10 minutes on the 8's and 1010 AM has them every ten minutes on the 1's, so you could make your call based on those reports well before you are at a point where you have to make a final decision which road to take.

Edited by Lizcourt

I strongly recommend using Rt. 80 East/Rt. 95 North to the GWB, even if it is a 10 or 15 minutes "extra" detour on your Garmin, MapQuest, Google Map or iOS Navigation, etc. this Sunday - given everything we're been reading, seeing & hearing about -

Some smart New Yorkers would most likely stay put & not go anywhere near the game or contribute to the traffic jams around these venue this weekend - coming up the West Side Hwy from the Holland Tunnel at rush hour can often be bumper-to-bumper with all the traffic lights from downtown Manhattan, it can take 15 minutes but we've spend an hour once trying to reach Pier 90 on a holiday Friday afternoon early getaway (and with Bud Light Hotel & other waterfront events at OTHER piers further south, I would NOT take chances.) It is not unusal to take 5 or 10 minutes to move one block along 12th Avenue when things are bad. If you do take this route and made it, fine - congrats in advance, you get to select a better parking spot & check in sooner - after clearing security screening, both outside (most likely) and inside the pier (the usual routine.)

See this linked thread here on East Coast Departure - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1976568&page=2

Greatam has a fleet of truck drivers making deliveries & roaming the area year-round, sharing the latest - so I suggest bookmarking the thread & check it again on Saturday if not early Sunday morning before getting into your "wheels" to head for the pier.

From the GWB, if the West Side Hwy is backed up seriously for whatever reasons - you can exit at 95th Street or 78th Street/Boat Basin exits off the Hwy, turn away from the Hudson & do a quick right turn & go south on West End Avenue - it becomes 11th Avenue (with traffic lights, but it will be much faster than trying to go uptown) - it's one of the best alternative option for going up & down the west side of Manhattan, our fleet's underground garage used to be based near the Lincoln Center on Amsterdam & it's how we get around. Keep in mind all of the usual major cross-town streets (W. 55th Street will definitely be at a standstill) will still be gridlocked for most of Sunday, not because of extra traffic but because of the security screening & checkpoints, closures & possibly roadblocks.

For those of you taking the bus or train into the city, and possibly the subway coming to Manhattan - I am posting this re-tweeted link that was forwarded ... don't we all love TSA screening, smile when you see them blue shirts behind the table. They're spotted yesterday at NJ Transit's Newark Penn Station, doing bag checks as part of the SB security blanket - layers of protection for the public, as they called it ... https://twitter.com/TSAmedia_LisaF/status/428627772139786240/photo/1

Allow extra travel time & for screening ... it's only a major sporting event, what the heck did we do every year at Times Square for New Year's/Eve with 1 million + people showing up, gosh. :rolleyes:

Edited by mking8288

They built Super Bowl Boulevard in Time Square. Broadway is closed from 47th to 34th I believe.

There is a huge controversy & animosity going on about this. We're happy to give NYC all the traffic though. :p The latest debacle: the NFL gave the mayor of NYC free tickets but the mayor of East Rutherford where the game is actually being played & whose municipal resources are being taxed beyond their limits did not get tickets.

I'd take 80 just to stay as far as possible away from the Stadium.

The owner of the Indianapolis Colts has offered the mayor of East Rutherford tickets for the game so all the mayors are taken care of.

The owner of the Indianapolis Colts has offered the mayor of East Rutherford tickets for the game so all the mayors are taken care of.

Oh that's nice. Yeah for the Colts! I heard on the radio that ticket prices are actually falling. You can still get upper level nose bleed end zone seats for $1800 each. :eek:

To everybody else who is driving: 880 & 1010 AM radio are you best friends & the only way to make an intelligent decision the day of.

You can also check NJ 101.5 FM for Jersey side traffic, usually every 15 minutes.

Thanks for the advise, your just the person we need it from since you travel daily into Manhattan. Im leaving from North Jersey and I think were taking 80 to the GW. We'll also be listening to the radio for updates.