feb 2, 2014 sailing/important!!!!

tokidoki

Hi all cruisers on my sailing! Just got a call from NCL, (automated), concerning our sailing, (superbowl), there will be street closures and we should allow extra time and we are parked at pier 90, but will enter thru pier 88!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Streets have been closed since Saturday I believe...

I would hope anybody would decides to book a cruise out of a Super Bowl city (NYC, Miami, FLL, Tampa, New Orleans, etc..), on Super Bowl Sunday, would have to know they screwed themselves, trafficwise.

Luckily the game is actually in NJ, so hopefully things won't be as bad as they get in Miami.

Good luck to you..

I feel for the folks trying to fly in for the cruise, with all of the game day fans arriving Friday, Saturday or Sunday morning.

(can't imagine how expensive the flights were.)

Edited by bguppies

actually, couldn't care less about the game! I live ,NYC, so we take the subway, get the crosstown bus, or usually just walk. Anyone driving has to be aware of the street closures! Can't wait to sail away, Orlando looks to be 80!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Hi all cruisers on my sailing! Just got a call from NCL, (automated), concerning our sailing, (superbowl), there will be street closures and we should allow extra time and we are parked at pier 90, but will enter thru pier 88!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Just got the same call....Came on to post the same thing. Im glad you beat me to it. Anyone know why there closing streets in NYC when the game is in NJ? Anybody know what roads are closed? Trying to figure out if its better to take Rt. 3 to the tunnel or Rt. 80 to the George Washington.

Streets have been closed since Saturday I believe...

I would hope anybody would decides to book a cruise out of a Super Bowl city (NYC, Miami, FLL, Tampa, New Orleans, etc..), on Super Bowl Sunday, would have to know they screwed themselves, trafficwise.

Luckily the game is actually in NJ, so hopefully things won't be as bad as they get in Miami.

Good luck to you..

I feel for the folks trying to fly in for the cruise, with all of the game day fans arriving Friday, Saturday or Sunday morning.

(can't imagine how expensive the flights were.)

Actually my friend noted that this morning in North Jersey, about 20 miles from Giants Stadium in NJ that the traffic was terrible and she noticed lots of hotel parking lots we're pretty full so I think the madness has already begun!

We are on the CTN right before you and got the same call last week. Don't forget the Getaway is acting as a hotel for the SB, so that is why checkin is at pier 90 instead of 88

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

....Trying to figure out if its better to take Rt. 3 to the tunnel or Rt. 80 to the George Washington.

Without a doubt Rt 80. Even that's going to be busy, but once you head north on 95 you should be fine and going against the traffic

OP the only thing you failed to mention was what port your cruise was out of.

Bill you sound like this should some how be "common knowledge". However, if you are not into football. I had no idea even what weekend the superbowl was or what city it was played in.

Now if you ask me about hockey playoffs, I may have a better knowledge on what, when or where. ;)

I'm glad to see NCL doing this, since there was a post a couple of years ago about someone getting caught up in mardi gras traffic jams and either missing their cruise or just about missing it due to not having any idea what or when it was.

Edited by che5904

Bill you sound like this should some how be "common knowledge". However, if you are not into football. I had no idea even what weekend the superbowl was or what city it was played in.

Now if you ask me about hockey playoffs, I may have a better knowledge on what, when or where. ;)

But the hockey playoffs don't bring 70,000 attendees, hundreds of celebrities, every news media outlet and hundreds of thousands of folks, just coming into town (that would be me, when I can), to enjoy the outlying festivities. (this year Super Bowl Blvd. closing Broadway for 9 days)

;);););)

I guess I am overly anal, as I always check for major events in a departure port, BEFORE I book a cruise.

(also helps find out if the cruise has a partial charter I might want to avoid)

Here in Charleston, it is the first weekend of April which features the Bridge Run marathon, Flowertown Festival, and Family Circle Cup tennis tournament, our 3 biggest events each year, all in the same weekend.

Spent a few weeks, in that Fantasy Roll Call, trying to help folks trying to board the Fantasy which departed that day last year.

Giving them detours and trying to help suggest further out hotels, with the vast majority booked a year in advance each year.

At least they are sailing on game day, which should be easier than on Saturday, with events all over the NY Metro area.

Truly best of luck to everyone.

Bill

Edited by bguppies

But the hockey playoffs don't bring 70,000 attendees, hundreds of celebrities, every news media outlet and hundreds of thousands of folks, just coming into town (that would be me, when I can), to enjoy the outlying festivities. (this year Super Bowl Blvd. closing Broadway for 9 days)

;);););)

I guess I am overly anal, as I always check for major events in a departure port, BEFORE I book a cruise.

hahaha

I keep forgetting to do that, although in my defence I have only been on 3 cruises. I try to cross all my T's and dot all my I's but there is always so much to research in a short time, that it gets missed.

So happy we decided yesterday to book a room in CT instead of doing the 5 and a half hour drive Sunday morning. For those of you are familiar with the area, how much extra time would you allow if you were coming down Rte 95? We normally take 95 to 9A. Does that sound like the best way this weekend?

So happy we decided yesterday to book a room in CT instead of doing the 5 and a half hour drive Sunday morning. For those of you are familiar with the area, how much extra time would you allow if you were coming down Rte 95? We normally take 95 to 9A. Does that sound like the best way this weekend?

Since there are only 3000 spots available at MetLife, many people will either be taking the train to the game or a bus which will be going through the Lincoln Tunnel. To be safe maybe give yourself an extra hour, but traffic should not be that bad on the NYC side of the Hudson River

Just got the same call....Came on to post the same thing. Im glad you beat me to it. Anyone know why there closing streets in NYC when the game is in NJ? Anybody know what roads are closed? Trying to figure out if its better to take Rt. 3 to the tunnel or Rt. 80 to the George Washington.

They built Super Bowl Boulevard in Time Square. Broadway is closed from 47th to 34th I believe.

There is a huge controversy & animosity going on about this. We're happy to give NYC all the traffic though. :p The latest debacle: the NFL gave the mayor of NYC free tickets but the mayor of East Rutherford where the game is actually being played & whose municipal resources are being taxed beyond their limits did not get tickets.

I'd take 80 just to stay as far as possible away from the Stadium.

Without a doubt Rt 80. Even that's going to be busy, but once you head north on 95 you should be fine and going against the traffic

Hi geegee1 You have the same nickname as my daughter, its her initials.. Very cute...

Were coming 80 east to 95 so I would think we would be going against the traffic on 80 as well.

They built Super Bowl Boulevard in Time Square. Broadway is closed from 47th to 34th I believe.

There is a huge controversy & animosity going on about this. We're happy to give NYC all the traffic though. :p The latest debacle: the NFL gave the mayor of NYC free tickets but the mayor of East Rutherford where the game is actually being played & whose municipal resources are being taxed beyond their limits did not get tickets.

I'd take 80 just to stay as far as possible away from the Stadium.

Really?? Not fair! Now that were on the subject isn't the Statue of Liberty in NJ as well? ; ).

Hope we all get to the ship safely, and have a great trip, looks like we are sailing into warm weather!!!:):):):)

What are the odds we don't sail on time? Im guessing we don't... Actually that would be a good thing because the few times I sailed out of NYC in the dark the lights on both sides of the Hudson is a sight to see! Im proud to say the NJ side looks pretty impressive too!

Maybe some of you local guys can give me some insight. To avoid the Lincoln tunnel I was planning on coming down the 280, the Newark turnpike to Holland tunnel. I have reserved parking at Park Right on W 43rd. I was just going to take the west st up to my parking spot from Holland. Think it's doable without giving myself an ulcer? lol

Maybe some of you local guys can give me some insight. To avoid the Lincoln tunnel I was planning on coming down the 280, the Newark turnpike to Holland tunnel. I have reserved parking at Park Right on W 43rd. I was just going to take the west st up to my parking spot from Holland. Think it's doable without giving myself an ulcer? lol

In theory you should be fine. They're really not expecting many cars around the area. It should be a lot less cars than a regular game day, they just might have some roads closed around the stadium.

Good luck and safe travels to everyone on Sunday!!

I will be at home watching you on the webcams and watching the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet Channel.

Happy Cruising and please have a drink (or 3) for me :)

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc