Changing cabin names and muster drill Q

MissLianne

We are sailing the Breeze next month- 2 couples.

We were both originally booked in 8C cabins on deck #8. My husband and I recently took a last minute upgrade to an aft-extended balcony on deck #7. We booked the cabins so the the ladies are in one cabin and the men in the other. Reason being; my friend is undergoing fertility treatments so when we booked a few months ago there would of been the possibility that she could of been in early pregnancy during sailing (she is not right now as far as I know). We booked it this way since both of our husbands will most likely want to try the 'Cheers' program.

Our friends (husband + wife) both have never cruised before. Our cabins originally were near each other so we probably would of had the same muster station. I know realize that we are going to be split up for the muster drill which is fine with me but my friend is adamant that we just go to our respective muster stations with our husbands (even though the cabins are booked differently). She's never cruised before and doesn't know how to swim so when I explained to her what the 'muster drill' is I think I kinda freaked her out a little bit.

After boarding should we go to guest services buy the alcohol packages then switch the names in the cabins? Or just let her pair up with her husband for the muster drill?

It's my first CCL cruise- been on NCL, RCL most recently and I'm pretty sure they took attendance? I don't exactly remember if they took our names or just confirmed that our cabin was there?

What do you suggest?

I have never been on a carnival cruise where they didn't check names off a list. If your in the wrong station they will send you to the right one.

I have never been on a Carnival cruise where they did check names off. Never saw anyone with as much as even a clipboard. Celebrity - yes. Carnival - no. Most recent one being 3 weeks ago.

Just explain to her that all she has to do is stand there and watch them put a life jacket on. It's not that big of a deal. But if for some reason they do check, then she will have to make her way to the correct place.

I had 2 experiences last fall where they allowed for people being in different muster stations than they were assigned.

On the Elation it was time for the drill to start and my friends hadn't found their station. They saw me and wanted to go with me instead. So, I simply asked the nearest Carnival person if it was ok if my friends stayed with me for the muster drill. They said sure, no problem.

On the Conquest I had pulled something in my back and was having some serious muscle spasms and pain in my back. Standing was ridiculously painful, as was just getting up and down from a seat. A nice gentleman saw my predicament and asked a Carnival rep if I had to stand outside on the decks for the whole drill. They allowed me to sit inside with the older guests and those with mobility issues.

There shouldn't be any problem with your friend going with her husband and you going with yours.

If by chance they are physically taking names just have her husband give his name or show his card.

We were both originally booked in 8C cabins on deck #8. My husband and I recently took a last minute upgrade to an aft-extended balcony on deck #7. We booked the cabins so the the ladies are in one cabin and the men in the other. Reason being; my friend is undergoing fertility treatments so when we booked a few months ago there would of been the possibility that she could of been in early pregnancy during sailing (she is not right now as far as I know). We booked it this way since both of our husbands will most likely want to try the 'Cheers' program.

Our friends (husband + wife) both have never cruised before. Our cabins originally were near each other so we probably would of had the same muster station. I know realize that we are going to be split up for the muster drill which is fine with me but my friend is adamant that we just go to our respective muster stations with our husbands (even though the cabins are booked differently). She's never cruised before and doesn't know how to swim so when I explained to her what the 'muster drill' is I think I kinda freaked her out a little bit.

After boarding should we go to guest services buy the alcohol packages then switch the names in the cabins? Or just let her pair up with her husband for the muster drill?

It's my first CCL cruise- been on NCL, RCL most recently and I'm pretty sure they took attendance? I don't exactly remember if they took our names or just confirmed that our cabin was there?

What do you suggest?

Just have her go with her husband. Also, on the Breeze they do the muster station inside in various public areas. We had our muster station in the aft dining room so we were able to sit down.

After boarding should we go to guest services buy the alcohol packages then switch the names in the cabins?

FYI, that won't work. They can see in the computer that you have Cheers and will make your new cabin-mates purchase it as well.

Be creative on the muster station part, on the Splendor - they didn't take attendance, not even checking cabin #, only matching those that showed up with the correct muster station. Nor, did they match names with ID's via facial recognition, LOL or call out names if someone is missing. Other CCL ships including the Breeze might do things differently at different time. NCL & RCI are much stricter and used a clipboard w. name list.

As for Cheers, that's a different "challenge".

On the Breeze you don't muster outside on deck 4. You watch a film in one of various lounges including the main theater.

The Cheers program cannot be purchased at Guest Services. Only at the Lobby bar and main Lido bars. If you still want the guys to be the only ones to purchase Cheers, do it as soon as you board the ship.

Go to muster drill as a group and then go to GS to change cabin arrangements.

Let me just add though that Carnival has caught on to people doing this just so they don't have to purchase Cheers for everyone in the cabin (no matter how legitimate the reason is). And I have heard of some ships where they will let you get duplicate cabin keys so each couple can room together, but they won't "reassign" people to a different cabin then how it was booked.

Just in case this happens, be sure when you do your boarding pass that each person in the cabin has an account set up to their own credit card, this will keep each couples charges straight then all you need is two duplicate keys.

Edited by okgirl

Is it really that big of a deal?

Muster lasts for about 15 minutes. Longer if they suddenly decide to count heads and realize people are in the wrong spot.

Just go to the lifeboat where your cabin is assigned and deal with the Cheers and cabin switching after.

What do you suggest?

If you all have the same lifeboat station all is good. If you don't have the same station you all need to go to your own stations. Everyone needs to know where to go and how to get there in an emergency. :)