Constantly re-starting. How do you change what you love/hate and gain motivation?

cruzzza

I don't think it's weird that grocery time feels like me time. The big question to ask yourself at this time, when your children are young and time is precious...is there more productive me time? Given your circumstances and your goals, what is the best use of daycare time?

I've never heard of Spark. I googled the idea and found an energy drink. Is this the Spark that you mention? Here's how I think about things like Spark. It can be helpful to have tools like this around, if they work for you, so that when you really need help with your energy to get through the day, you can use it. But I am not a believer in the long term use of such things. To me, a lack of energy is a sign of something else being out of balance. I would be diligently working to solve the underlying energy issue.

I researched the ingredients in Crystal Light. It is in my nature to shy away from such things. I don't consume artificial sweetners and I try to avoid anything that could be described as a "food like product," which is what Crystal Light is. It's food...but not really. So I wonder why anyone would want to give their body this laboratory created substance. I understand that some people has issues with water. I think it can take work, but people can change their issues with water. If drinking Crystal Light would help you drink more water...and you use it as a tool to get to the point where you aren't trying to drink Crystal Light Natural Pure Lemonade...and instead start drinking water with the juice of a REAL lemon...well...

I'm not a treat person. I'm not sure what it is that contributes to this thought process. I read recently about how different parts of your brain can be bigger than others...and therefore...some people have tendencies in behavior that involve these parts of the brain. For instance, there is the reward center in the brain...some people have bigger ones...and it could be that these people's behaviors is motivated more by the idea of a reward than someone whose reward center is smaller in comparison to another part of their brain.

Regardless...I would never try to tell someone to stop having treats. So please understand when I say that you will have a greater chance of success if you can figure out a reward that isn't food related. OR...figure out a better food reward.

Let me ask...are your treats all processed food? Or do you actually bake the cupcakes? I think the first thing that I would recommend to try to change your current thought process is to say that you need to bake your own treats. Involve your daughter. It can be a totally fun activity to get into the kitchen and "play" and experience the fun end result. Running the oven can help warm up the house... Get those mini-muffin pans...since you don't like the cake part as much...do a muffin instead...use a sweet bread recipe...like banana, carrot, zucchini...something that helps the product have some redeeming nutritional value...and control the amount of frosting you use on the more muffin like cupcake.

Participating in this discussion has been very thought provoking for myself. It always helps me as much as I hope to be helpful to think about a write out my thoughts related to things like health and fitness.

Spark is an energy drink sold by Advocare. I've heard many good things about it from people who have used it. Like you said, I'm thinking it would be good for short term use in these tough beginning months.

I looked in my pantry & the Crystal Light I'm referring to is called Crystal Light Pure. It has no artificial flavors or preservatives & is sweetened with Truvia. I'm aware this is not as good as plain water, but maybe it would help me to drink more.

Yes, all my treats are pre-made or processed. I like the idea of baking with the kids & making it a family thing.

Edited by cruzzza

Here's my analysis of Lean Cuisine:

I picked the Honey Citrus Chicken from the Lean Cuisine Honestly Good Line. According to the package, it has:

320 calories

7 g fat

27 g protein

37 g carbs

Double checking...(7 g fat x 9 kcal/g) + (27 g protein x 4 kcal/g) + (37 g carbs x 4 kcal/g) = 319

Given all the rounding up and down that likely occurs for labeling purposes...this is statistically an accurate label.

So you are eating 71 grams of food for a lunch...and as you say...you could easily eat two.

I totally believe you.

Studies show that the average human eats 2 POUNDS of food a day. (For everyone...please understand that I am just talking averages...) This is the general weight of food that the body requires in order to feel satisfied. WEIGHT of food is what matters most...not calories. Our body doesn't actually understand calories in the short term...it understands weight.

Now the difference in the quality of the calories that everyone eats to achieve their two pounds of food is great...culture...lifestyle...many factors influence our food choices of course.

If we think about that 2 pound average of daily intake of food...

71 grams is about 13-14% of 2 pounds.

If you were average, and you consumed an average of 2 pounds of food a day...and if you ate a similar breakfast...that is, around 320 calories with the same basic ratio of fat, protein, and carbs...then you would only have consumed 26-28% of 2 pounds by the end of your lunch...which is barely over half of what your body really wants to feel satisfied.

A snack will change these numbers of course...

If your snack is equal to your meals...320 calories...again in the same ratio of macro nutrients...then you are up to 39-40%...which is getting closer to that 50% mark...

If you didn't have that snack...then you can see why you really want a second Lean Cuisine meal...

And even if you DID have that snack...if you had a second Lean Cuisine meal, you would be at 53-54% of 2 pounds at the end of lunch. Which is kind of right where your body wants to be.

So a calorie is a calorie...and in some ways yes...but your body is looking for nutrients...it has functions and jobs to do in your body that require specific building blocks and basic materials...and if you are not giving your body those materials it needs...it will keep sending out hunger signals.

And if you are shorting it on food intake...in terms of weight...it will keep sending out hunger signals.

Understand that your body doesn't really understand calories...it understands WEIGHT...if you eat food that doesn't weight a lot but has a lot of calories...then you continue to be hungry...if you eat food that weights a lot but doesn't have very many calories...then you aren't as hungry. Generally, food that has higher water content has more weight and fewer calories...which is WHY everyone says that it is important to eat your veggies and some fruit...because you can eat A LOT of these foods and not consume very many calories.

So your body will be feeling pretty okay if you ate the Lean Cuisine equivalent in terms of one at breakfast, one for a snack, and two for lunch. That puts you at about 1 pound of food...and (320 calories x 4)...1280 calories.

Since this is only HALF the day...and about HALF the weight of food your body desires...you would repeat this for the second half of the day...and eat another 1280 calories.

I'm really just trying to help you understand...because I believe that while you THINK you aren't on a deprivation diet...your body feels very deprived. And it's fighting you and what you are doing...and you are struggling. If you could just make different choices...then your body wouldn't actually fight you as much and the whole process would be easier.

There is an amount of calories that you can eat each day and lie around in your bed and do nothing...and not gain weight. These calories supply your body with the energy it needs to breathe, pump your blood, etc. Some people call this a Base Metabolic Rate...or BMR...some people call this Resting Metabolic Rate...or RMR. Some people want to add your lifestyle into the equation...whether or not you have a more sedentary or more active job...and include that in your required calories to get through a day...

For the purposes of losing fat...

What you want to know is how much lean muscle mass you have. And based on that weight, how tall you are, how old you are, and your gender...you can find the calories that you need to survive here:

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/bmrcalc.htm

I land over 1400 and over 1500 based on two different calculations. This page walks you through the process.

There is a decent explanation of what these numbers mean on that site. But the number is simply based on your body composition and takes NO ACCOUNT for any activity that you do. ANY activity. Waking up and walking around and doing ANYTHING. This is why, in the explanation, it states that with an energetic workout, I can expect to burn about 2100 calories a day...assuming, as the web site states...that I don't have a completely sedentary lifestyle. It's giving me more calories burning from my normal daily activities plus calories from an energetic workout to reach that 2100.

It used to be that you would subtract up to 500 calories from that 2100 calorie number in order to lose fat. If you consume any less than that...your body thinks it is in survival mode...so...for me...if I have a relatively active day...and I work out vigorously for period of time...if I don't eat at least 1600 calories...my body will act like it's starving.

Remember that this is all theory...

What is reasonable? According to everything we read...

320 calorie breakfast

100 calorie mid-morning snack (this is what they sell prepackaged)

320 calorie lunch

100 calorie afternoon snack

500 calorie dinner

That's only 1340 calories. I'm starving.

So people tell you to just eat 5 meals...

320 calories x 5 = 1600 calories

Which should work in theory... Your food choices will determine how easy or hard it is for you to actually follow that 5 meal plan.

Now please understand what I am trying to actually get across.

So long as you are eating enough calories to keep your body out of starvation mode...your body functions won't go into starvation mode. In theory, you should still be able to lose fat and not lose muscle. BUT...if you can understand the way that your body works...and work with your body...then you can get it to do what you want it to do without fighting you as much. Without having to fight those hunger signals.

To not have to fight these types of hunger signals, figure out how to eat 2 pounds of food that only gives you however many calories works for you and your goals...which for me, would be around 1600 calories.

Obviously, I don't know what your numbers are...and I don't know what your current body chemistry is...hunger is different than cravings. I can often feel hunger and literally, have a hard time deciding what to eat. What do I want to eat? I think this is because I eat a decent variety of food that gives me a decent variety of building blocks...and I eat enough food for energy...I eat over that 1600 for sure...and so I don't experience my body directing my hunger toward anything. Because you are experiencing directed hunger...that is, a craving...this post is aimed at helping you understand what physically could be happening to cause that craving.

If you are craving because of an emotional reason...well...I have no business even trying to offer advice for that. But hopefully, you can analyze your own numbers to rule out physical reasons.

My 2 numbers were 1263 & 1390. This means after exercise, I should eat at these to maintain, right? So I guess I should attempt to get to this number. From tracking on My Fitness Pal, I've been a bit over these. How do you factor in normal activity (not exercise)? These numbers sound low, considering I haven't even subtracted the 500 calories for fat loss.

1263 and 1390 is what your body burns without moving. There should have been another number given to you in the explanation that accompanies the result?

My numbers were 1407 and 1518. In the explanation, it used the number 2110 if I was moderately active and had an energetic daily workout. It said to reduce that number by 10% if I was more sedentary...The 2110 is where you subtract 500.

Your numbers are lower than mine...but only about 10% lower. So they aren't that low. Do the calculator again and read it to find the number that is within the text.

I was looking for that other number, but didn't see it, although I was a bit confused by their explanation. I'll run it again. BTW, 1200 calories is what MFP tells me should be my maximum, but not sure how technical their calculations are.

"With energetic daily workouts, you'll burn about 1890 calories daily."

Is that the number I'm looking for?

It says just above that, "TARGET A BALLPARK OF 1010-1390 HONEST CALORIES PER DAY if your main goal is fat-loss, and about 1520-2020 calories per day for muscle gain without fat loss."

Here's more explanation:

1263 and 1390 are the base...

Now let's take into account the fact that your body moves during the day...

It's called the Harris Benedict Formula...you take your BMR (1263 or 1390) and you will multiply your BMR with a number that is based on your activity level to get what you need to eat to maintain:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise): BMR x 1.2 = 1516 or 1668

If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week): BMR x 1.375 = 1737 or 1911

If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week): BMR x 1.55 = 1958 or 2154

If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/week): BMR x 1.725 = 2179 or 2398

If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training): BMR x 1.9 = 2400 or 2641

So...in order to maintain your weight, pick your activity level and eat the calories calculated above. Provided that you don't have any physical issues that would cause your body to respond differently...pick your activity level and eat the calories listed for that activity level. This isn't an exact science and there are different equations to calculate the BMR, so that's why there are the multiple numbers given.

If you want to lose fat...then subtract 500 calories from the number given for your activity level. So long as you eat less than the maintenance calories, but not less than 500 under the maintenance level...you will lose fat. 500 is given because, after 7 days...you should have experienced a 3500 calories deficit and that generally equals one pound of weight loss...but anything between 500 under and maintenance will contribute to fat loss over time.

"With energetic daily workouts, you'll burn about 1890 calories daily."

Is that the number I'm looking for?

It says just above that, "TARGET A BALLPARK OF 1010-1390 HONEST CALORIES PER DAY if your main goal is fat-loss, and about 1520-2020 calories per day for muscle gain without fat loss."

Yes...that was the number we were looking for...but I have posted a more detailed explanation of how that other website might have calculated that number. I would take a look at what I posted above. Here's a more detailed explanation of activity level:

Sedentary. Little to no regular exercise.

(factor 1.2)

Mild activity level: Intensive exercise for at least 20 minutes 1 to 3 times per week. This may include such things as bicycling, jogging, basketball, swimming, skating, etc. If you do not exercise regularly, but you maintain a busy life style that requires you to walk frequently for long periods, you meet the requirements of this level.

(factor 1.375)

Moderate activity level: Intensive exercise for at least 30 to 60 minutes 3 to 4 times per week. Any of the activities listed above will qualify. (factor 1.55)

Heavy or (Labor-intensive) activity level: Intensive exercise for 60 minutes or greater 5 to 7 days per week (see sample activities above). Labor-intensive occupations also qualify for this level. Labor-intensive occupations include construction work (brick laying, carpentry, general labor, etc.). Also farming, landscape worker or similar occupations. (factor 1.7)

Extreme level: Exceedingly active and/or very demanding activities: Examples include: (1) athlete with an almost unstoppable training schedule with multiple training sessions throughout the day (2) very demanding job, such as shoveling coal or working long hours on an assembly line. Generally, this level of activity is very difficult to achieve. (factor 1.9)

So for me...

I'm a homemaker. I am fairly active around the house. At least, it feels that way.

I wear a pedometer as part of my DH's health insurance. It's a program that helps us earn money to use toward health expenses. DH wears one too. So he has a desk job...but he has to attend meetings all over...he ends up walking through the tunnels to the military base and all over the huge building, etc. Unless I actively seek to take more steps, my daily routine yields steps that are less than half what my DH does.

I do teach a vigorous workout class once a week.

When I have a more active day...I think I might qualify for the mild activity level? When I have a day where I don't run errands...I don't get any thoughtful exercise...I would be more sedentary. This is based on my pedometer readings alone and my general judgement considering these things.

If you don't wear a pedometer...it can be eye-opening to see how many or how few steps you take daily. It feels like a fairly decent representation of activity level, especially if you don't do things to artificially inflate your number of steps.

I was looking for that other number, but didn't see it, although I was a bit confused by their explanation. I'll run it again. BTW, 1200 calories is what MFP tells me should be my maximum, but not sure how technical their calculations are.

I just saw this.

I don't know how MFP calculates calories.

I will tell you that eating 500 calories less than BMR is aggressive. 1200 calories is not that far out of the ballpark of this aggressive effort. If you wanted to be this aggressive, based on these calculations,

If you were sedentary, eat between 1016 and 1168 calories.

If you are lightly active, eat between 1237 and 1411 calories.

With a young child at home...my guess is that you are more lightly active than sedentary...so 1200 calories is lower than what you really need to be eating.

One reason people are asked to keep a food diary is to first, see the reality of what they are doing and second, to have accountability for when they seek to make a change.

My favorite calorie tracking site is Nutrimirror. It is a free site. It doesn't have ads or other things to keep it free. The reason why it is my favorite site is because it also tracks the VALUE of the food that you are eating. The way it reports the information is in bar graph form, where each bar graph shows red if it falls outside of range or green if it is within recommended ranges.

In addition to tracking fat, protein and carbs...it tracks calcium, iron, vitamin a, vitamin c, sodium, etc. This really helps to know whether or not you are truly eating well.

Knowing all these numbers helps my mindset. For me...I like the background and the understanding. Then I understand the consequences of not hitting the ideal.

So for me...I would find it helpful to understand that eating 1200 may be the goal for the most aggressive weight loss...but eating anywhere between 1200 and 1757 should result in some weight loss over time.

And going back to your first post about how to stop restarting and how to gain motivation...

Perhaps you start with a less aggressive goal? Instead of 500 calories under...go for 250? See well you can do on that? Keep it up long enough to see some change...because change should come, even if slowly...and then get more and more aggressive.

I guess you get that I'm into this whole idea of health and fitness...and I like understanding things and the why behind the facts...I'm sorry if I've gone too deep in this discussion.

Your TDEE is the # of calories at which you will neither gain nor lose tissue weight. Once you have done that (figuring out whichever activity level you think fits best), then you need to refine that estimate empirically. To do so, consume an average amount of calories equal to estimated TDEE for two weeks, monitoring weight change. The results will confirm your actual TDEE.

Once you know your actually TDEE, set your caloric intake to match your goals as follows:

To maintain weight, consume an amount of calories equal to TDEE.

To lose weight, consume 10% to 20% less than TDEE.

Monitor weight change via the scale and also body composition via the mirror and how clothing fits, making adjustments as needed biweekly.

Edited by snorkelman

Actually it's been shown that caffeine is not much more of a diuretic than plain water. The second link, scroll to the bottom where there are summaries of some fairly recent studies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/health/nutrition/04real.html?_r=0

http://www.artofdrink.com/2009/12/caffeine-in-coffee-does-not-increase-dehydration-during-hangovers.php

I've been drinking more water simply by substituting water for what I normally drink at meals. I have a few empty 20-ounce soda bottles that I fill with tap water and keep in the refrigerator. Really easy to drink an entire bottle at one meal, then refill it and put it back in the fridge.

Actually it's been shown that caffeine is not much more of a diuretic than plain water. The second link, scroll to the bottom where there are summaries of some fairly recent studies.

http://www.artofdrink.com/2009/12/caffeine-in-coffee-does-not-increase-dehydration-during-hangovers.php

I've been drinking more water simply by substituting water for what I normally drink at meals. I have a few empty 20-ounce soda bottles that I fill with tap water and keep in the refrigerator. Really easy to drink an entire bottle at one meal, then refill it and put it back in the fridge.

Caffeine may not be, but many teas are, even if decaffeinated.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Very interesting articles. I haven't been exposed to this research before. It isn't well publicized and there are still so many references to the idea that caffeine is dehydrating. Almost everything you read place alcohol and caffeine in the same category, continuing to talk about how both are diuretics. In trying to read further about this idea...there is a lot of evidence that suggests that to someone who is habituated to a moderate caffeine intake, drinking their caffeinated beverage(s) has the same effect on the their bodies as drinking water...at least in terms of total body water.

It's good information to know, because most people do enjoy a caffeinated beverage of some sort...myself, no exception...I mean, look at my user name.

The only caution that I would add in light of this being brought into this discussion...is a general caution regarding how much caffeine anyone who desires to lose fat should ingest. Caffeine is metabolized in the liver...the same organ responsible for metabolizing fat...and my caution would be that if you are an individual that is wanting to focus on above average fat metabolism, that is...you want to be actively losing stored fat to achieve weight loss...and are not a person in maintenance mode with a more average rate of fat metabolism...it could be in your best interest to optimize your liver function toward the fat metabolism...and not distract your liver too much by needing to deal with caffeine.

My thoughts regarding caffeine consumption were always to just understand potential consequences of actions. There are many other factors that could influence everyone's decision about whether or not drinking caffeinated beverages is better or worse for themselves...and this is something everyone needs to contemplate for themselves and is not likely to be a universal truth...just like most dietary decisions.

cruzzza...I hope all is well with you.

In my mind...the point of this forum to to talk about our challenges in trying to get healthier, including losing extra weight...and I hope that our talk here on your thread hasn't discouraged you from continuing to talk about it. I like your thread a lot because it seems to address the idea that so many of us have a good idea of what to do to help ourselves...but it can be so hard to just do it. We are finally getting back into more seasonal weather here...it's been so cold...are you warming up a bit too?

Constantly starting over definitely makes it difficult for you to mentally be ready to stick to something. It's also hard on your body to be thrown into exercise and then completely stop, to just continue to repeat that cycle.

Being on a program that guides you through everything seems like it could be really helpful for you to stay on track (and they're usually way cheaper than being on a diet plan or using a personal trainer). Exercises and a proper diet laid out for you with a schedule really helps take away from any guessing that goes into a lot of diets or exercising. Even if you don't like exercising, having someone there telling you and showing what to do can make all the difference. The company Beachbody just came out with a new program, 21 Day Fix that has an exercise program along with a 'diet' that focuses solely on portion control- http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/21-day-fix-simple-fitness-eating.do You can do a program like this at any time, and even during your cruise! You can track your progress, which can help you want to stick to it, so you can really see how you started and how you ended!

I would also suggest starting to look into how you can cook and eat healthy without depriving yourself or foods that your really love that may not be so healthy. Making sure to get good vegetable, fruit, and protein intake is good for a strong, healthy body, and then a few pieces of chocolate here or there never hurt anyone! Just have to keep it all in control while making sure you're eating more healthy foods than unhealthy ones :) Some great foods to incorporate in your everyday eating- http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/flat-stomach-foods

Hope this helps!

I apologize for my leave of absence. I haven't been on CC at all in the past few weeks. I had another birthday party, this time for one of my own kids and the planning and other stuff took a lot of my free time. Also, I was sick for about a week and a half and am just now getting over it enough to exercise. I don't know what I'm technically supposed to do as far as exercising when sick, but it doesn't feel like my lungs could take a workout right now. I signed up for a 5k this weekend! I may end up walking a lot of it, though, based on how my lungs feel. Unfortunately, I was sick during most of the warm weather and now it's turned cold again!!! I pray this is the last of it and Spring will finally come.

I have internalized a lot of what has been written on this thread and am making an effort to stick to my grocery list when shopping. It was the unplanned "treats" that I sabotaged myself with. I've got cupcakes left over from the party and have had to restrain myself from eating too many. They are almost gone, thank God! Oh, I almost forgot about the Girl Scout cookies. Another temptation in the house. I try to only eat 1 or 2 at a time.

I haven't been counting calories at all lately. I have thought a lot about what was written about what Anita wrote about the weight of food and how I can get my 2lbs in with less calories. Fresh fruit and veggies are so expensive, I frequently fed them to my kids and left myself to eat the cheaper, less expensive things (frequently the starches). I know better and I've been trying to stop myself from doing that and even though it may cost more, I know I have to eat those things, too. That goes along with me trying to stick to my grocery list and get back to using my eMeals plan - which I changed to "clean eating" btw. I have increased my water intake a little bit as well.

I did lose weight last week. I was down almost 2 and a half pounds more. Maybe being sick was part of that, but I don't think it's all. I'm hoping the birthday cupcakes didn't affect me too much this past weekend and that trend continues. I can't tell you how much this thread has helped me. I thought I knew more than I actually did and your "counseling" has been priceless!

Hi there, I printed this whole thread out and read it the other night. I feel for you in that I have lost (and regained) over 60 pounds over my lifetime and on the downward trend right now, it gets harder and harder. Had I known it would be harder now I would never have regained it the last time. On top of it all I had a total hip replacement 1 1/2 years ago and some of the exercise I used to LOVE I can't do anymore. It is very frustrating. My exercise now consists of walking and marching around the house during commercials at night, every little bit helps, :)

Now with this said, you have received some very good advise from other posters, Anita is an expert on so many things, I love reading her posts. If I can add one little thing here.....if it's not IN THE HOUSE you CAN'T EAT IT! Do not buy your "trigger" foods, no excuses, and no your kids don't really NEED that junk either. Train them early to eat right. The cupcakes......throw the leftovers AWAY! Don't keep them around thinking you'll have one a day till they are gone etc. it does not work! You also said that fruits and veggies are expensive.....I don't know if you have 99 cent or Dollar stores where you live, but here they have really increased their food areas and you can really load up on good stuff that would cost $4.00 or $5.00 at a regular supermarket. and Fast Food is not really cheap, with the burger, fries and drink it adds up, and you're killing yourself in the meantime. (Have you ever seen the Documentary called "Supersize me", about a guy who ate nothing but McDonalds for a month? His Physician pulled him off of it mid-month! Also, find a copy of "Fast Food Nation", a real eye opener. There's an additive in the "Secret Sauce" to get you hooked, :)

Lastly, if you really want to be motivated to stay on a good reduced calorie and exercise plan there is a TV series now, I want to say on the Lifetime Channel called "My 600 pound life", it tracks the life of people who are morbidly obese who have no control and their families are horrible enablers, resort to bypass surgery. Most of them after starting to eat right and start getting exercise are very successful.

Congratulations on signing up for the 5K, the path to success starts with just one step! Good Luck with your game plan in the future, Summer is coming!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad you've found this thread helpful. I don't think my struggle is unique, by any means, and although it's been mostly working through my personal struggles, the advice is universal.

I did the 5k and although it was tough, I made it. Unfortunately, I have a foot injury now :( . It's been a week and it's much better now, but I went on a 2 mile walk this afternoon and it's definitely still bothering me some. I think it's just inflammation, but I don't really know if it's serious enough to see a podiatrist.

I have been B-A-D with my eating habits this week. Spring Break was this past week and I didn't make my normal trip to the grocery store. We have been eating pizza and fast food. I feel bad about it, but I plan on getting back to business next week and I'm trying to not be discouraged. I can clearly see that I need to work on time management, as someone suggested earlier. I sound like a mess, and I feel like one too sometimes!

There are many 5k's coming up in my area, and I want to sign up for all of them, but I'm taking a wait-and-see approach as far as my foot. I'm hoping I don't have plantar fasciitis. Anyone know if a podiatrist can tell me if that's what it is or just soreness? I hate to pay for a dr's visit that isn't necessary, but I don't want foot problems either because I didn't take care of it properly.

It's getting warmer outside and I'm so excited about some sunshine and springtime weather! I am ready to be done with the winter funk!

• 3 months later...
Constantly starting over definitely makes it difficult for you to mentally be ready to stick to something. It's also hard on your body to be thrown into exercise and then completely stop, to just continue to repeat that cycle.

Being on a program that guides you through everything seems like it could be really helpful for you to stay on track (and they're usually way cheaper than being on a diet plan or using a personal trainer). Exercises and a proper diet laid out for you with a schedule really helps take away from any guessing that goes into a lot of diets or exercising. Even if you don't like exercising, having someone there telling you and showing what to do can make all the difference. The company Beachbody just came out with a new program, 21 Day Fix that has an exercise program along with a 'diet' that focuses solely on portion control- http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/21-day-fix-simple-fitness-eating.do You can do a program like this at any time, and even during your cruise! You can track your progress, which can help you want to stick to it, so you can really see how you started and how you ended!

I would also suggest starting to look into how you can cook and eat healthy without depriving yourself or foods that your really love that may not be so healthy. Making sure to get good vegetable, fruit, and protein intake is good for a strong, healthy body, and then a few pieces of chocolate here or there never hurt anyone! Just have to keep it all in control while making sure you're eating more healthy foods than unhealthy ones :) Some great foods to incorporate in your everyday eating- http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/flat-stomach-foods

Hope this helps!

Good ideas. Have you tried the 21 day fix plan personally? I'm on day 5 of it, so I'm excited to (hopefully) see some results and to hear if it worked for anyone else!

I got hooked by the color coded plastic container system. I've never stuck to other diets well in the past... guess I hate eating the same thing every day. Hoping this fixes that problem.

It has a pretty good list of reviews online - http://www.zenfatloss.com/21-day-fix-workout-reviews/ so hopefully it does really work.

If it worked for anyone else, let me know your story! Otherwise I'll keep you all updated :D

• 2 weeks later...