Dress for boarding ideas

tricia1563

This question is for this entire thread: Dress for boarding? Are you kidding me?? Is there really a suggested dress for boarding? Again, are you kidding me?

DW and I have boarded ships from four different cruiselines (none Cunard) in ports from San Juan to Vancouver. Dress for boarding is weather appropriate, nothing more. Shorts and a tee shirt in San Juan, a sweatshirt and jeans in Vancouver.

High heels? Are you kidding me? We will be boarding the QM2 in Southampton in May. Is a tux too much? Are you kidding me?

In all fairness, y'all might do things differently Down Under than us plain folk in the States.

Harvey

Harvey,

May I respectfully suggest that you consider the baby boomers who were raised to dress properly, whether going into the so called "big city", a train or plane, or church? Some things are just ingrained into folks brought up that way.

Jeanne

Just don't go looking at the newsreels from the 30s, 40s or 50s!

You don't have to wear furs or a morning suit to board a Cunard liner anymore. Smart Casual wear is sufficient.

I admit I like to dress up a little for boarding ships and planes. It makes travel a little more of a special experience for me.

Just don't take any short cuts on your way to boarding the ship, lest you end up ruining your clothes like movie star dressed Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced 'Bouquet'):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DZgQ6hx0Qag/SU2lZI9h27I/AAAAAAAAACc/85lxRafG95U/s400/KUA1.jpg

Does anyone remember what Onslo wore?

Seriously, I am flying over to spend a week in London before heading to Southampton the day before embarkation. I'm shipping my tux, etc ahead with White Star and usually travel light otherwise. Will I be OK with a sweater and khaki's or should I bring a sports jacket? I never even thought of dressing up for embarkation...

If you are in Southampton on May 9, and boarding the QM2, I'll be easy to spot. I'll be the one that looks like I dressed for the Staten Island Ferry.

Harvey

Hey, Harvey are you from Staten Island too?!? LOL...

From my memory, going back to the last half-dozen embarkations, most people don't dress like slobs as you would see at an airport. But as others have said: dressing up is not common. When travelling by ship, train or air I wear a blazer. It is not for appearance; it is easier to wear it than to pack it. We don't travel in summer; it keeps me warm on cool days and evenings. It has many pockets so I have a convenient place to put our passports, tickets/documents, wallet, etc. I don't usually bother with a tie at embarkation, but way back when I bought our embarkation photos I would wear one.

This sounds like a plan. Just in case I'll stick a tie in my carry on too. Thanks David. :)

Yes, I'm a baby boomer too. Yes, I was, in fact, raised properly and to dress properly. No, I'm not from Staten Island. (Although, my daughter lives in the West Village).

I'm still in a state of amazement, almost shock, that this thread even exits. In the last ten years I've been on at least 15 cruises, sailing four different cruiselines, (none Cunard). In part of my research for each cruise, I've studied almost, Cruise Critic.

I've read nothing, nada, zilch, in regards to proper dress for boarding. Caught me off guard. You all enjoy your dressing up for boarding. No criticism from me. Just not my cup of tea, that's all.

Harvey

This question is for this entire thread: Dress for boarding? Are you kidding me?? Is there really a suggested dress for boarding? Again, are you kidding me?

DW and I have boarded ships from four different cruiselines (none Cunard) in ports from San Juan to Vancouver. Dress for boarding is weather appropriate, nothing more. Shorts and a tee shirt in San Juan, a sweatshirt and jeans in Vancouver.

High heels? Are you kidding me? We will be boarding the QM2 in Southampton in May. Is a tux too much? Are you kidding me?

In all fairness, y'all might do things differently Down Under than us plain folk in the States.

Harvey

Australians have been accused of "casualfying" Cunard by some of your country folk as per a recent thread in the Cunard boards.

So the sarcasm is unnecessary.

I have taken a linen suit with me and worn it for boarding as it creases less on me than in my luggage.

I do the same thing--where a blazer and dress shoes because I don't want to pack them (and wear pants and shirt that are appropriate for those choices). I am usually more dressed-up than most people boarding, but only because it is more convenient for me.

Casual dress is fine. I don't think you need to plan on wearing your embarkation clothes to dinner because you should always (in my humble opinion) pack a change of clothes in your carry-on bag just in case your luggage doesn't make it on board (a real nightmare for a transatlantic). If you dress casual for embarkation, pack dressy clothes (but not formal--if your luggage gets lost, don't worry about the dress code, you get a pass); if you dress up for embarkation, pack casual.

This is exactly WHY I like Cunard. The passengers care how they look. Yes the early baby boomers were taught not to dress like slobs. I will have a sport jacket at least - as another commented - easier to wear than pack. And the embarkation photo looks better.

Nothing wrong with looking like you are going to the nicest place (ship) and looking like you belong.

There are heaps of photos and questions about embarkation dress for every cruise line in the Cruise Fashions Boards. This is not a unique question by any stretch. Maybe you could check those out. Unless it would shock you too much. And most of them aren't Aussies.

Edited by Pushka

The only reason this thread exists is because the OP asked the question. Nothing evil about it. :)

Brigitte, I look forward to meeting you and Harvey, and your significant others at the meet and greet. In case you haven't noticed we have less than 100 days to go! :D

Bob, I'm looking forward to it and it's going to be here before we know it. All this talk about proper embarkation clothes.....it dawned on me that Harvy is going to be the one best dressed for the sail away festivities. It's probably going to get pretty chilly and we are going to want to be on deck to see the other Queens and the fireworks. We booked the Jubilee trip not knowing.....and this one as well. How lucky can you get. :)

We also booked not knowing about the celebration. It just fit our schedule. It's gonna be great!

Our meet and greet is the next day. Not trying to be a smart-alec, (yes I am), is there a suggested dress code for this event?😉😃😁

Harvey

Not trying to be a smart-alec, (yes I am), is there a suggested dress code for this event?😉😃😁

Harvey

I'm guessing anything besides jeans and a sweatshirt. :D.

No, the event has no dress code. Your casual daytime attire is all that's needed. :)

We also booked not knowing about the celebration. It just fit our schedule. It's gonna be great!

Our meet and greet is the next day. Not trying to be a smart-alec, (yes I am), is there a suggested dress code for this event?😉😃😁

Harvey

We are all just lucky I guess Harvey. I had no idea either. I just booked the first transatlantic I could find last FEBRUARY if you can believe it. I just knew I wanted to sail on the QM2! I would wear my morning coat to the meet and greet, except I don't have one. It was much easier to dress properly when you were an Edwardian gentleman and you had a butler to pack for you. ;)

I have boarded many Cunard ship saround the world, I can assure you 100% that yon wear just what ever you want to wear, you will see when your there, In freemantle is the heat and in the crazy free for all cruise terminal , shorts and t shirt will be the order of the day.

On my first ever voyage, a crossing we were told to wear a suit for debark, we did, it was a heat wave, could not get it off fast enough.

so you will see shorts or jean and t shirts, same during the day on the ship:)

I can tell you that freemantle a crazy terminal, we had to line up outside just to get in and on a narrow platform and then up some stairs, it was very , very hot and very disorganised

Edited by rob6852

I have boarded many Cunard ship saround the world, I can assure you 100% that yon wear just what ever you want to wear, you will see when your there, In freemantle is the heat and in the crazy free for all cruise terminal , shorts and t shirt will be the order of the day.

On my first ever voyage, a crossing we were told to wear a suit for debark, we did, it was a heat wave, could not get it off fast enough.

so you will see shorts or jean and t shirts, same during the day on the ship:)

I can tell you that freemantle a crazy terminal, we had to line up outside just to get in and on a narrow platform and then up some stairs, it was very , very hot and very disorganised

Oh dear, I grew up around Freo and shame there may be boarding issues. I will definitely dress casual. Thanks for the heads up and nice to know.

Do ladies tend to be seen in same formal dresses over a long cruise. I am going to be stuck trying to find numerous formal and semi-formal outfits. Think I may dine in kings court some nights so as to not feel out of place. I was eager for this cruise and now packing is becoming a nightmare lol.