Using i-phones on cruise

bowen9475

We are sailing on the Freedom in two weeks. (Yay!) Is there a way for my teens to use their i-phones for music and to take pictures without racking up big charges? I though I read that if they put their phones in airplane mode that will do the trick. Is this correct? Thanks for any help :)

We are sailing on the Freedom in two weeks. (Yay!) Is there a way for my teens to use their i-phones for music and to take pictures without racking up big charges? I though I read that if they put their phones in airplane mode that will do the trick. Is this correct? Thanks for any help :)

Airplane Mode does the trick.....but locking them in the safe while turned off is the ONLY way to guarantee they'll not rack up charges. :p

Just off a cruise, in addition to airplane mode, I turned off "cellular" under settings.

Not sure which ports you are visiting, but we went to San Juan & St. Thomas & we were able to use our phones in both ports.;)

So just to make sure, when in airplane mode there isn't anything else they can do with the phones? They can't send any texts or make any calls and texts and calls won't come through? If so, that will work out well for us :)

So just to make sure, when in airplane mode there isn't anything else they can do with the phones? They can't send any texts or make any calls and texts and calls won't come through? If so, that will work out well for us :)

Call your carrier to be sure, but I turned off "cellular" in addition to switching to airplane mode.

Be VERY carful....Not an Iphone, but thought I turned my Ipad off and put it in the safe for a 2 day Cruise To Nowhere and it didnt shut down...I was FREAKING out when we got back to port in Norfolk and I pulled it out of the safe and out of the case to find out it was still ON:eek::eek:. Got a $289.98 bill from Verizon from it. Verizon said I should just be thankful that it was only a 2 day cruise..

Lesson learned.... I don't even take it with me anymore. Cell gets shut off completely;)

If your service is with a carrier that uses Sim cards, you might collect those from their gadgets just to ensure they don't "accidentally" get turned on. My wife and I have been known to eject ours just to make sure we don't get charged. We can still use the games, camera, and Music function.

If you don't have SIM cards, I'd turn the cellular data off (it's in Settings) and hit Airplane just to make sure.

Airplane mode should do it, but since data is where you rack up charges you may want to turn the data sending/receiving off. This is usually under settings (Sorry, I don't have an iphone to know exactly where it is located). You can also set the phones to not make/receive calls while on roam. But, this would really be overkill if airplane mode is on...only if you want to be super safe :)

I have a Samsung and just use Airplane Mode. Take a lot of pics with the phone as well as with my Samsung Tablet. When I had an iphone, Airplane Mode worked fine. Never had any problems with either.

Edited by glrounds

Depends on the package you purchase, they have different rate plans for groups of minutes.

Here is some pricing information, but they could have increased it. I bought the 120 min package so I could facetime the kids and check emails at night.

Pricing

Instructions on how to create an account and pricing details are present on-screen in the Internet Café or on your laptop once you connect to Carnival WiFi. Internet pricing is identical, whether you are using the Internet Café terminals, your own laptop or other wireless devices. All Internet charges will be billed directly to your onboard “Sail & Sign” account.

Time Plans offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans are transferable between Internet Café terminals and personal laptops/wireless devices, can be used anytime throughout the cruise until disembarkation and don’t have to be used in a single session. No refund will be provided for unused minutes. Upgrading a pre-selected pricing option is not available and plans are subject to change.

• 480 minutes for $159

• 240 minutes for $89

• 120 minutes for $59

• 45 minutes for $29

Edited by cruisecraze96

Your carrier can also put your phone on "vacation mode" which temporarily suspends service until you call to restore it. This call can come from your cell phone when you get back to your final port. We did it with verizon on our last cruise.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Depends on the package you purchase, they have different rate plans for groups of minutes.

Here is some pricing information, but they could have increased it. I bought the 120 min package so I could facetime the kids and check emails at night.

This is very helpful. Thank you very much!!

Kirsten

I'm confused about how the ipad being left on caused added charges, can someone help me understand this please?

Some iPads also have cellular 3G or LTE data connections as well as the WIFI.

Luckily mine does not, and the iPhones go into the safe till we get back. Or at least in "Airplane" mode so no extra bill while sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We called verizon before our last cruise just to make sure of what to do. They recommended turning off the cellular data and also putting it into airplane mode. They also directed us to a link on their website that listed the fees and charges for the ports we were in if I decided to use it there. I am pretty positive that there WERE additional charges for Verizon in st. Thomas so you need to check with your carrier. My friend had ATT and she did NOT have charges to use it in St. Thomas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Airplane mode turns it into an ipod like others say. Every time I cross the border or cruise I just put my phone into that and connect to wifi when possible. I never get any charges (I am located in Canada). Also when you are in St Thomas and San Juan you will be able to use your phone since it's US territory!! No need to call your phone company or anything - its an apple feature not a phone company one.