Sunshine Review with a few pics!

gertiesmom

We were on the same cruise and had to learn how to hit the flush button just right to get a flush. LOL. It usually took several hits. We also smelled the sewage smell, usually forward ship. :eek: We had a forward room and there was a constant vibration and when a strong wind is coming in from either side, this ship rocks. And not in a good way. We did have a wonderful time, will just go with a larger ship next time.

Did you eat at Ji Ji's. I've heard it is good

I ate 4 times at Jiji's last week, so go figure!

I travel a lot and love Asian food. Last night I was telling my friend that a big, huge credit for Carnival for inventing Jiji's. Unfortunately no plans to put it on other ships at the moment.

Sorry to hear about your toilet troubles!! Thanks for posting! Loved the pics!

It seems like no one is impressed with the Sunshine these days. I have read review after review and it seems way more negative then positive. Most people seem to make the best of it while on the ship but say they won't go back on. Hmmm.

I am really curious about this. Is it just that expectations were so high with all the CCL hype/propaganda that this was gonna be an awesome ship or is the ship really that poorly executed?....or a combo of the 2.

Have been thinking about booking Sunshine next winter but now am having serious 2nd thoughts! I usually take reviews lightly, knowing they are subjective, but the negative reviews are far outweighing goods. In addition, most of the complaints people post sound legit (ie, plumbing issues, crowding, and poor deck planning).

I was on the Sunshine in Europe last May. This was just the 2nd sailing after drydock. The ship was not completely done but we were able to enjoy almost everything. I really like the ship. Would go back in a minute.

I would not go back on a cruise line because of the toilet problems. Sounds like they were prompt to fix and did compensate you in some way.

Hope to be on her soon.

I LOVED Sunshine. I don't understand why everyone complains about buckets catching water and sewer smells- would that really ruin your cruise? Didn't ruin mine! If that's the worse that happeds on a vacation, my gosh you are just too perfect and should never take any vacation! I do sympathize with OP over your toilet malfunctions however

I LOVED Sunshine. I don't understand why everyone complains about buckets catching water and sewer smells- would that really ruin your cruise? Didn't ruin mine! If that's the worse that happeds on a vacation, my gosh you are just too perfect and should never take any vacation! I do sympathize with OP over your toilet malfunctions however

It would not ruin my cruise, but I would not book a cruise on the Sunshine until I am confident those problems are fixed. There are many other ships I can choose that don't have those problems. I try to make my cruises as perfect as possible...

We also ate at JiJi every morning. They fix omelets to order. Also ate there for lunch a couple of times. Very good. They were strictly enforcing the 40 minute saving of the sun chair rule. Serenity area is very nice, just too many people for the area. At least on my cruise.

So other than your toilet issues, It seemed like you had a great time. Due to the toilet issue that will be enough of a problem for you to never cruise with carnival again??

That won't keep me from cruising again on carnival, as I have one booked for September on the breeze. But this was the first ship I can easily say I would not sail on again.

I kept reading all the negative reviews before my sunshine cruise, and I honestly thought people were over reacting or just too high maintenance. But, now that I, too, have experienced the sewage smells and non functioning plumbing, i think this ship needs more work. She looks pretty on the outside, but she's ugly underneath it all.

Hi Gertiesmom - Happy Belated Birthday, Gal!! Thank you for your review - bummer re the toilet.

Did you guys go to any shows or the disco? If so - your thoughts...

I booked this ship - now very worried - would hate to smell sewage for a week:-(

It would not ruin my cruise, but I would not book a cruise on the Sunshine until I am confident those problems are fixed. There are many other ships I can choose that don't have those problems. I try to make my cruises as perfect as possible...

I'm booked on the Sunshine. Don't regret it. But I have to say, I really hope there are no buckets.:D And that's mainly because by the time we sail, the Sunshine remodel will be damn near two years old. Surely enough time to get rid of those buckets!

This sewer smell issue seems like something you may or may not deal with depending on where you stay, what time of day, etc. Unless I rule out Carnival's newest ships (who are the ones with this issue) there's no way to completely avoid it.

Seems like Carnival did try to fix the problem repeatedly with the toilet. And offered a refund and a credit. Good customer service IMO.

Seems like Carnival did try to fix the problem repeatedly with the toilet. And offered a refund and a credit. Good customer service IMO.

They did provide decent customer service, and the maintance guy was fairly prompt. It was just plain annoying that we had to call daily, sometimes twice a day, to ask for maintance.

Overall, my mom and I did have a good time. Our patience was wearing thin. Hopefully, my cruise on the breeze will be better.

Hi Gertiesmom - Happy Belated Birthday, Gal!! Thank you for your review - bummer re the toilet.

Did you guys go to any shows or the disco? If so - your thoughts...

I booked this ship - now very worried - would hate to smell sewage for a week:-(

We did go to the shows the first 2 nights. I enjoyed the Latin show, the second show wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good. We did not go to the disco, my mom is in her 60s and thought she was too old! I kept begging her to go with me, but she wouldn't!

W

Did I have a good time celebrating my birthday with my mom: YES!

Will I recommend this ship to anyone: NO!

PS: there were buckets on the 7th floor and the 3rd and 4th floors forward stink like sewage

Heard so many bad things about the Sunshine, so sad.

Great review and Love your Photos!

Thanks for your review! I personally LOVED the Sunshine and would book again in a heartbeat. We spent a lot of time forward on decks 3/4 and I only noticed the "smell" one afternoon in the theatre. Other than than I didn't smell it. I will say that I have also noticed that smell on all 3 of the other ships I have been on. It was terrible on the Dream as you come from the mid elevators towards the Ocean Plaza, much worse than I ever noticed on Sunshine. I only noticed one bucket the week we were on before Christmas.

I hate that the Sunshine gets such bad reviews. It was my favorite ship to date. I guess it is just a preferential thing though, as everyone's tastes are subjective. Glad you were able to make the best of it and enjoy some birthday fun with your Mom!

And BTW, I don't know which of you had the tomato salad in the Steakhouse, but that is one of my favorite things Carnival serves, so simple but so damn delicious every time! And the Carbonara in the Cucina...AMAZING!

Nor mine. I give the Sunshine an A. Perhaps A- :D

Outside of the Breeze, which I haven't been on but would like too, I'd take the Sunshine. Wish it was staying in NO, but I'll take PC as a good #2 port (considering that's where I always seem to end up).

Layout, I couldn't care less if I have to walk extra. I love to walk and use the stairs. Walking for me is a ship activity.

Smells - I generally move away, it's not hard. Also, I didn't find it nearly as bad as others and it's in a very limited area.

Serenity - Top deck then forward if you don't like a little noise. They have wind breaks there too.

Lack of Pools - I don't use them.

Find a place to sit/eat - Um, use the Havana Bar area. It's very good. But then others complain they have to walk there :rolleyes:. I actually CHOOSE to walk there with my food.

Plumbing (toilet/shower issue, NOT buckets<--Big whoop), would be an issue. I didn't have any on the Sunshine. The only plumbing issues I ever have had were on the Dream and they were not major. But either way, I use the Spa showers often (again, by choice), so that's not an issue either. Matter of fact once on the Ecstacy, I didn't shower 1 time in my cabin.

Love the Lido buffet layout. I like all the plethora of choices with food. I get to the comedy club early and have a drink. I like the Alchemy bar. I liked the A/C in the cabin. Loved my kids had a great waterworks & ropes area, etc...., etc.....

Seems to me when some are met with a little bit of a barrier, they melt like butter (or flip out). If you have a wee bit of ingenuity and/or resourcefulness it helps a lot. I find it a little bit of a cat and mouse game with the staff to get my way. Usually, but not always....I get what I'm wanting.

But don't book it, I need low prices!

Edited by fuddrules

I am shocked by all the bad reviews. We sailed Jan 19th, the week before you. No buckets, No smells.

Everyone in our party loved the Sunshine and I would sail on her again in a heartbeat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a theory about the sewer smells on all ships....... All ships have exhaust vents around the ship where sewer system gases, smoke etc. are exhaust. All ships have fresh air intake systems that go to the A/C systems. When the ship is under way or in port winds blow around the ship. Sometimes the winds around the ship will take these exhaust smells/gases and blow them to where the fresh air intakes will suck them back into the ship. Some ships exhaust vents are closer to intakes than others. Just my thoughts:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am shocked by all the bad reviews. We sailed Jan 19th, the week before you. No buckets, No smells.

Everyone in our party loved the Sunshine and I would sail on her again in a heartbeat!

I'm thinking about taking a chance and booking on the Sunshine. Care to post where your cabin was? Thanks!:)