Does Johnny Rockets have gluten free food?

bocaraton

Thanks Doc..

did the gene pool become corrupted in the '80 somehow?

I think pharmaceutical companies had a 'light bulb' moment back then...they discovered that producing pills to cure people wasn't making them enough money....once cured, no more pills....so they had to invent 'medications' to relieve the symptoms.....without curing the people. JMHO just saying......:rolleyes:

Just because a label says contains 100% fresh ground beef does not necessarily mean that that is what it contains.

In the U.S. ground beef may contain up to 15% other ingredients yet still be labelled as 100%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_slime

And a whilst back in the UK some frozen meat products similarly labelled contained horse. :eek:

I became GF when tests proved I wasn't celiac. My symptoms vanished. When I occasionally fall off the wagon I am reminded why I really should stick to the plan.... on Adventure they served me a meal that had been pre-ordered GF; after eating nearly half they pulled the plate away from me saying that they had made a mistake and it wasn't GF after all. A swift lecture was provided by yours truly as to the expected outcome. :mad:

Thanks Doc..

when I was in school '67 grad. there was no ban on peanut butter in fact the cafeteria had stacks of PB sandwiches at the end of the serving line.

also back then no one was popping Ritalin (or whatever they had back then) and no one seemed the worse for wear. Now my daughter (3rd grade teacher) says it's not usual to have a class with 30 to 40 % of the kids taking it.

did the gene pool become corrupted in the '80 somehow?

In those days kids played outside and rough and tumble play, now they want them sitting inside and if they have energy they haven't used then they are 'ADHD' or whatever the new buzz word is and given a pill - keeps the economy going and I'm sure more than half the people cannot cope with life without pills:confused::confused: JMO

I doubt Johnny Rockets uses any filler of any type in their burgers, including bread crumbs. Like any franchise, RCCL would be expected to use the ingredients from the parent company, so you can be assured the Johnny Rockets burger is the Johnny Rockets burger.

The Johnny Rockets burger ingredients include:

Hamburger Patty

USDA inspected 100% fresh ground beef.

You can view the ingredient list here on their website:

http://www.johnnyrockets.com/menu/ingredient-allergen-list.html

To be sure, ask to see the package the burgers came in.

The burgers prepared on the ship are different than at a local JR restaurant. The local JR restaurant nearby me uses fresh ground meat that is in a ball and pushed down on the griddle. The ship uses frozen preformed patties precooked to a dried out well done. I do not eat on a ship's JR anymore because the burgers are a pale comparison to a local Johnny Rockets nearby my house. Plus at my local JR's they use liquid cheese sauce for cheese fries whereas my local uses shredded cheese which is melted on the griddle using ice under a cover. That is a completely different taste and experience.

I think pharmaceutical companies had a 'light bulb' moment back then...they discovered that producing pills to cure people wasn't making them enough money....once cured, no more pills....so they had to invent 'medications' to relieve the symptoms.....without curing the people. JMHO just saying......:rolleyes:

I concur on the drug companies producing products to treat chronic conditions. Things like high blood pressure, etc. are a boondoggle for the drug companies because they can produce those products cheaply after the initial research and make pure profit. OTOH things like new antibiotics are not being produced because the revenue is not guaranteed.

Just because a label says contains 100% fresh ground beef does not necessarily mean that that is what it contains.

In the U.S. ground beef may contain up to 15% other ingredients yet still be labelled as 100%.

I note that even Pink Slime is made out of cows, which are not sources of gluten.

Maybe because in this case the activist-named "pink slime" actually IS 100% beef?

• 1 month later...

My son's first cruise shortly after being diagnosed with Celiac disease was on the Oasis of the Seas. He was 12. You will find a special forum, Cruise Foodies, under which there is a whole conversation about cruising Gluten Free.

This is my contribution posted after we returned from the Oasis in February 2011.

I would highlight a few things. The steak fries on the table as my son's group sat down for dinner was a huge plus. (They still had plenty room left for their entrees.)

Be very specific with room service and have them repeat your gf request back to you when ordering. We brought our own breakfast cereal and hot cocoa packets on board. We ordered a bowl, milk and hot water to the room or potatoes and bacon with hot water for the cocoa.

I had a selection of snacks for him to nosh on in the cabin when he was hungry. *Some of these items went with us on excursions for a stand-by GF snack.

We are cruising on the Oasis again in two weeks with the same group of young boys hanging out together.The boys often like to go grab a cookie, cupcake etc. I purchased the Premium drink package(?)for my son to be able to order smoothies and non-alcoholic slushies to which he could even add some soft ice cream. (Like at Rita's!) My son is not an adventurous eater, yet, but he knows what he likes and what is safe.

I wish you a relaxing cruise! Bring a Walkie-Talkieto be able to check in with them while you relax by the pool.

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Foodies Gluten-Free Tips and Ideas (aka Allergies= PIA)

February 17, 2011

"Gluten-Free on the Oasis"

My gf son and I just returned from our E. Caribbean Oasis cruise.

We spoke with the dining room Maître’d upon boarding. Get there early. We were there at 11:30 and already, there was a line. Next, I went to speak with the head chef at each dining venue. Don't waste your time with the food staff! Go straight to the chef. They were extremely accommodating. Even when busy! I can't say enough about the wonderful staff on board this ship.

That said, if you are traveling GF don't worry about putting on any weight. The frozen custard station by the pool only had cones. My son asked for a cup at the bar and got a large beverage cup without a spoon. With the lines at the machines and the slow speed with which it dispensed, my son decided not to use the large cup for fear of mutiny. He was embarrassed. He did find that the Wipe-Out Cafe at the rear by the sport court also had a frozen yogurt machine. Since it is a fast food buffet, he could grab a bowl and a spoon to use and get the frozen yogurt right there.

But being a tween this put him out of place with his group as they could jump from the pool to get their treat. They did spend a lot of time at the back end of the ship though so he did have a chance to eat a plain burger and frozen yogurt back there.

The French fries on the ship are coated with wheat. The steak fries and hash brown potatoes found in the main dining room, and the fries and breakfast potatoes at Johnny Rockets were the only GF food, other than meat that he regularly ate.

He does not have a severe reaction if he eats gluten. (Though he definitely has a reaction.) So for this reason I didn’t worry too much about him grabbing a burger at the Wipe Out or Windjammer buffets on his own with his friends. I knew from research that Johnny Rockets was going to be a fall back. He ate lunch there often and ordered a shake too. They were awesome to him there too. Note that you are going to pay a $5.00 cover and $5.00 for the shake at Johnny Rockets. Of course my son was a generous tipper too!

For breakfast we ordered room service, bacon and potatoes with milk for the cereal that I brought and hot water for our cocoa. He also went to Johnny Rockets (free for breakfast) for bacon and potatoes and hot chocolate. In the main dining room he had grits, bacon, potatoes and gf pancakes. The pancakes were not as good as my gf pancakes at home. (Kind of rubbery)

At dinner we had the most amazing staff. I tipped Sabbanni, his waiter, and Ricardo our head waiter *on the first night. Sabbanni put a large platter of Steak Fries on the table every night, right in the center of the table, for all of the boys to share when the bread came out.

I was so impressed by this gesture. He didn’t want my son to sit there and salivate while the other boys chowed down on the bread and butter. The French fries had gluten so he made sure to have the "steak fries" available.

My son chose to have steak just about every night. So he had steak, steak fries, and a vegetable. He also had the grilled chicken and a burger once.

The burgers on board are thin patties. JR's offers a thicker burger option.

My son is 12 so he spent most of his time at the back end of the ship where the flow riders, sport court, zip line, rock climbing wall, putt putt course and teen lounge are. And…yes he lost weight.

Here is the breakdown for tween GF survival:

Bkfst- Johnny Rockets-potatoes, bacon, ham, eggs, cocoa/ Main Dining- potatoes, bacon, grits, fruit, pancakes/Solarium-fruit, whole eggs (not prepared) grits/ Windjammer-didn’t go but assume it is the same (ask about the eggs)

Lunch-Johnny Rockets-burger, fries, shake/ Windjammer buffet -burger patty and fruit/ Wipe-Out-Café-burger patty and frozen yogurt

Dinner-Main Dining-Steak, grilled chicken , steak fries, burgers

For a tween the other venues were too much work and too much time.