"Live" (its my plan) from Independence of the Seas February 9th 2014

Wow great review

Could you tell me how much drinks package was and also is it possible for only one to purchase. I see you said dh didn't get it? Thanks in advance

Here's a list of the beverage packages with prices:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/royal/en_US/pdf/beverage_packages.pdf

It's possible for only one person in the stateroom to purchase the package.

Edited by clarea

Thanks to niksmom for the nice reports, photos, and insights on this great cruise.

We'll use a few of the tidbits on the same cruise coming up in 36 days. WOO HOO!

As a side note...we have every intention of relaxing on this cruise. That also means we're going to take our time getting off the ship, NOT schlep all our bags off in the early hours of the morning, and NOT be in a big hurry to the airport immediately after such a relaxing experience.

We'll likely disembark about 10-10:30am, wait for our luggage, hop somewhere for a relaxing brunch, and then mosey on over to the airport for an afternoon flight. All the rush-rush immediately after such a nice cruise would seem to take away from the overall experience and calming value.

It's understandable that some folks can't do this based on the distance they need to fly home...but if they have the time...it might be worth considering easing the way back into civilization rather that sprint back into the hectic world. In our case...this approach has made cruising even more enjoyable. :)

I meant to comment on this earlier--I purposely booked a later flight for just this reason. In November of 2012, we had a horrendous debarkation process off of Liberty. It took us nearly two hours to get off the ship, and we barely made our 11:30 flight out of Fort Lauderdale.

There were, I believe, 6 customs agents working on our Indy departure vs. 3 off of Liberty. You just never know, and I agree it's much nicer to leisurely leave the ship, then end your vacation on a stressful note...

Also, if you intend to be one of the last ones off, that will be about 9:45 - 10:00 a.m. We had luggage tag 17 which should have departed around 7:45. I never changed the tags to a later departure time, but probably should have. The way the baggage claim in the terminal is set up, we had to wind our way all the way to the rear of the terminal to collect our bags, and then wind back through the lines to get through customs. The later numbered luggage tags were right next to customs.

Finally, if you want to eat in the MDR or the Windjammer prior to departure, they are very strict about the times. Arrived at the MDR entrance right before 8, and were directed to the Windjammer (too late for MDR), and when we exited the Windjammer at around 8:30, they were directing people to Café Promenade, which was open until 9:30 a.m.....

Brilliant review, just going through the compasses, did you get your free charm bracelet?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You found a free charm bracelet giveaway in the Compass????? :eek:

No, I did not. I did, however, shop for Pandora charms in Grand Cayman.

Same prices as US--just no tax :)

You found a free charm bracelet giveaway in the Compass????? :eek:

No, I did not. I did, however, shop for Pandora charms in Grand Cayman.

Same prices as US--just no tax :)

Yep on compass number three, offers of the day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dining Comments.....

MDR

--Early seating. Best service we've experienced in years. Never felt rushed, just efficient. In general, we were done with dinner around 7:15. Water glasses always filled promptly, beverages on the table when we arrived. Rolls are now served to the tune "Hot, Hot, Hot" by the assistant waiters parading into the MDR.

--Escargot was available every night :D

--The dress code for men (no tank tops) was being enforced at breakfast. we made a last minute decision to go to the MDR for breakfast instead of the Windjammer, and DH was wearing a sleeveless t-shirt (not a tank top), but was sent back to the cabin to change. Women however, we allowed in with swimsuits and cover-ups.

--On the second formal night (Fisherman's Platter), the waiters brought extra lobsters and shrimp on a platter, and served them to guests who wanted more.

Windjammer

--Always crowded, no matter what time of day. I wish they would seat people like they do on Allure. It seemed that half of the confusion and crowding was people holding plates and looking for seats.

--"Honey Stung Chicken" was not available on boarding day, however there was another chicken dish that looked and tasted just like it.

Chops

--We were easily able to make a reservation after we boarded. Arrived at 6 p.m., and the place was virtually empty.

--Food was excellent. Had the shrimp cocktail and onion soup as appetizers. Petit Filet for dinner.

--Service was just "ok"--which was surprising, since the restaurant was almost empty. Think we were spoiled by our MDR experience

--Red Velvet cake was still a dessert offering, but it is not the same Red Velvet cake that was served last year. It was ok, but probably the "low-light" of the meal.

Also grabbed the occasional piece of pizza from Sorrentos--nothing special, but it filled the void.

:):)

Thank you for the time you spent reviewing, sending pictures and posting the daily Compass. We are leaving on this cruise on Sunday, February 23rd (first time cruisers) and all this information was fabulous!

I am glad that you enjoyed the cruise....loved the pic of your children dressed for dinner, holding hands walking down the hall!

Thirty-eight days to Opening Day for Red Sox Baseball in Boston.........yes spring is coming!!!

Thanks again.

I noticed that your embarkation terminal was 29 did you also get off at that terminal? We are driving to the port and it seems like there is no parking near 29.

Yes, same terminal. Not sure about parking though, because we did not have a car....

I noticed that your embarkation terminal was 29 did you also get off at that terminal? We are driving to the port and it seems like there is no parking near 29.

You might want to consider parking at Park N Go. It is just outside the port and offers door to door shuttle service. It is cheaper than parking at the port.

We are doing that for our upcoming cruise.

Can't see any of the photo's is it just me. All I see is a box that says is this your photo then under that says photo bucket.

She probably uses a free Photobucket account, and due to this great review with all the pics, exceeded the monthly bandwidth allowance. The pics will come back next month when the bandwidth is reset.

Dan.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forums mobile app

Main dining room dress code? Always wore casual so is it still ok for ladies to wear nice capri's and top other than the 2 formal night we will have.

Thanks

Marcy

Yes, absolutely appropriate for the casual nights! Hmmm, let me see what photobucket wants from me, so I can get these photos back up! :(