First time cruiser questions - Oasis

I'm getting ready to book my first cruise ever on Oasis of the Seas. It will just be me and my 3 young children. I have been scouring the boards and Google to absorb as much info as possible, but still have some questions and uncertainties.

I am looking at cabins 12729 an 9729 Boardwalk balcony. I've learned about the "secret" balcony on 12, so that is pretty cool. Is 12th deck too high to get a good view of the show and boardwalk below? Also, for anyone that has been in this cabin, does the overhang obstruct the view out to the ocean...it looks very close? I guess, more importantly, I know there are only 2 chairs, but how many can fit on the cabin balcony? Will myself and 3 children be able to watch a show from out there? I'm thinking the view from the 9th deck might be better, but if we can't really use the balcony, then if we do the 12th deck, we could go out on the "secret" balcony.

Are there ATMS available on the ship?

How much do the arcade games cost on average per game?

Can you just use dollars at the ports? Or do I need to get foreign currency at all? Sailing western itinerary.

Are there lifeguards on the ship? I don't let my kids in the water without me, but with 3, it's still nice knowing there are extra eyes keeping a lookout. What about life preservers?

If I'm understanding correctly, the food is unlimited? So, theoretically, we can go to however many restaurants we want as many times as we want? If we have an 8:00pm dining time (the 6pm is sold out) we could still eat at another restaurant earlier so we don't have to wait until 8:00pm?

Sorry, this is so long and for so many questions....I did try to search for answers first.

Thanks for any and all input!

I'll answer the ones I know the answer to:

I've never had a problem using American currency in port. You will most likely receive local currency for change, however. So, use small bills.

No lifeguards. The pools can be nerve-wracking on sea days when you have small kids due to the crowds.

Food is pretty much unlimited and there are a ton of choices, but not all of it is free. But yes, you can go to more than one place for each meal. There are plenty of free choices to grab a snack before dinner too. But some restaurants do have a charge.

Don't know the ages of your children but as soon as you board check out the kid's club. If they are old enough, they will love all the activities and the chance to be with kids of their own age. (It will also give you a break!) Try to change your dining time when you board also, this will allow the wait staff the ability to serve your children quicker. Most young kids hate sitting for 2 hours through dinner. In other words, the early 6 pm setting is geared for families with children. After the first night, they often have the children's favorite appetizer already on the table waiting for them! From the balcony, you and 3 children can sit and watch the ocean aria show but it is much better seen from the bench seats in the theatre area. Then during the week, you all can watch the performers practice from the balcony. It is a great room to watch the action on the boardwalk. Enjoy your cruise!

Keep checking (or have your travel agent do it) for the early dinner seating. When we first booked, it wasn't available, but it eventually opened up. Early seating will be easier with kids.

I haven't been on the Oasis, but on the Liberty, not only are there no life guards, but the water is either six inches deep or about 5 feet deep. Hard to manage with kids. I would have packed arm floaties for my youngest had I known. My kids (12, 9, 6) didn't enjoy the shallow area with the sprays, etc. so I had to watch them carefully. And get in with them!

My kids loved getting room service for their before bed snack.

Hi - I am booked on Oasis May 31 and wanted the earlier dining at 6:00 PM and it was sold out so we had 8:30 pm. We were on the waitlist for the 6:00 PM dining. I called to book my shows about a week ago and the agent was so helpful. When we were done with the shows I asked the agent if he thought I would get changed to 6:00 PM dining. He told me he would send a request to the dining department. The next day I had 6:00 PM dining. Some agents are more helpful than others.

I'm getting ready to book my first cruise ever on Oasis of the Seas. It will just be me and my 3 young children. I have been scouring the boards and Google to absorb as much info as possible, but still have some questions and uncertainties.

I am looking at cabins 12729 an 9729 Boardwalk balcony. I've learned about the "secret" balcony on 12, so that is pretty cool. Is 12th deck too high to get a good view of the show and boardwalk below? Also, for anyone that has been in this cabin, does the overhang obstruct the view out to the ocean...it looks very close? I guess, more importantly, I know there are only 2 chairs, but how many can fit on the cabin balcony? Will myself and 3 children be able to watch a show from out there? I'm thinking the view from the 9th deck might be better, but if we can't really use the balcony, then if we do the 12th deck, we could go out on the "secret" balcony.

Can you just use dollars at the ports? Or do I need to get foreign currency at all? Sailing western itinerary.

Are there lifeguards on the ship? I don't let my kids in the water without me, but with 3, it's still nice knowing there are extra eyes keeping a lookout. What about life preservers?

If I'm understanding correctly, the food is unlimited? So, theoretically, we can go to however many restaurants we want as many times as we want? If we have an 8:00pm dining time (the 6pm is sold out) we could still eat at another restaurant earlier so we don't have to wait until 8:00pm?

Sorry, this is so long and for so many questions....I did try to search for answers first.

Cabin 12729 would have an awesome view from the balcony! We had 12723 on the Allure this past May and it had a great view of the ocean as well as the Aqua Theater and the Boardwalk. Your cabin, being the end cabin, would really have a great ocean view. The "secret" balcony at the end is also awesome. You won't be disappointed. Hang on and lemme log back on with my phone and I'll try to post some pictures from our balcony.

I was on the Oasis in November. Second trip on the Oasis. There are no life guards at pool. The pools were not too crowded though- but not alot of children on November cruise. We do late dining with our children. The kids would always get pizza at 6 pm so when we went to dinner at 830- they were not starved and cranky. But after dinner - they were ready to go to bed and would miss any late shows or activities. If you want early dining- call royal caribbean now and try to change. Or you can do anytime dining which you can go at anytime.You may have to wait a little for a table for just your family.There are many food venues on ship though- room service, Wind jammers buffet every day for breakfast,lunch and dinner, park cafe, and Sorrentos pizza- all free. Other food venues for fee. Have a great time- the ship is awsome.;)

Cabin 12729 would have an awesome view from the balcony! We had 12723 on the Allure this past May and it had a great view of the ocean as well as the Aqua Theater and the Boardwalk. Your cabin, being the end cabin, would really have a great ocean view. The "secret" balcony at the end is also awesome. You won't be disappointed. Hang on and lemme log back on with my phone and I'll try to post some pictures from our balcony.

Ok so my phone app is acting up so I got on my laptop.

Here is the view from 12723:

IMG_2955sm.jpg.c1791352e33221038b393261b520acac.jpg

IMG_2964sm.jpg.11a70e5eedd45e9b59e55a47ad3bd582.jpg

And here is a picture of the sun going down from that 12th deck "secret" balcony:

IMG_3131sm.jpg.c4a66e62751b3c935a1886e08fd60d0e.jpg

I am looking at cabins 12729 an 9729 Boardwalk balcony. I've learned about the "secret" balcony on 12, so that is pretty cool. Is 12th deck too high to get a good view of the show and boardwalk below?

Can you just use dollars at the ports? Or do I need to get foreign currency at all? Sailing western itinerary.Sorry, this is so long and for so many questions....I did try to search for answers first.

The "secret" balconies are a great location to watch the shows, but you should get a good view from your balcony. The best place to watch is really the seats right in front of the AquSorry, this is so long and for so many questions....I did try to search for answers first.

aTheater because you are close and at the same level. I suggest watching the first shows from there, then watch the repeats from the "secret" balcony, as you will see some of the behind-the-scenes activities such as the safety divers below that you won't see from the main seating.

Most places will accept dollars.

There are no lifeguards at the pools. If your kids can walk, they should learn to swim. If your kids are not comfortable in the water, check with your local YMCA and/or Red Cross for swimming lessons. This is really mandatory if kids are already walking, so make sure they are comfortable in the water.

Food is unlimited in the main dining room (MDR) and buffet, as well as a few other venues. Sorry, this is so long and for so many questions....I did try to search for answers first.

The daily Compass will indicate hours and venues for food throughout the cruise as well as which are included and which are extra charge. If you get hungry before your MDR time, then you can grab something at the Windjammer or Cafe Promenade as well as some other locations.

Some restaurants are extra-charge. Use the Pre-Cruise Planner online to reserve a time if you are interested in any of these restaurants. Also, Johnny Rockets is an extra charge.

Hi 4cruisingsake, We have cabin# 12729 booked for this coming June sailing.:D We can hardly wait for this family trip. We booked this cabin for many reasons....I can tell you from all the reviews that I've read about this cabin it's seems like it's really a great cabin! I don't think you mention when you are sailing but if it's before us please come back and tell us your thoughts of the ship and cabin.;)

Good Luck and have a great cruise!!!;)

Hi 4cruisingsake, We have cabin# 12729 booked for this coming June sailing.:D We can hardly wait for this family trip. We booked this cabin for many reasons....I can tell you from all the reviews that I've read about this cabin it's seems like it's really a great cabin! I don't think you mention when you are sailing but if it's before us please come back and tell us your thoughts of the ship and cabin.;)

Good Luck and have a great cruise!!!;)

I would've jumped on 12729 in a heartbeat had it been available for my sailing! The only thing I wouldn't like about it is that I believe the sofa will be next to the balcony instead of the bed in that cabin. No big deal for most folks, just not my personal preference. A great cabin nonetheless.

Thank you so much for all of your responses. This has been very helpful!!

My kids are comfortable in water, maybe too comfortable and can swim "okay". We'll do more swim lessons this summer before the cruise. But I know even good swimmers can drown, especially if pool is crowded. For such a big ship, I guess I was anticipating the pool being very crowded, hard to watch.

I actually ended up changing cruise dates, pushed it back several months and into 2015. Need to save up more money for all the excursions I have planned :D Longer wait :( but one perk of that is that was able to get the 6pm dining time. :)

I did try to get 11729, but I guess none of 11th deck is for quads (don't see any sofa beds on the map) I ended up booking the 9729. The view just looks nicer in the pics I've seen (10729 was not avail), closer to the stage and nothing above. I'm still really torn about the 12729 suite though just because I would really like that secret balcony, I'm just worried about the overhang right above us blocking the sky. I have it on hold though until I can decide for sure! :rolleyes:

Really looking forward to this. All the posts have me so excited! Haven't cruised yet, but already planning the next one! :D

We watched shows from the "secret deck"/deck 11, as well as our 9729 balcony and thought view of the shows was better from 9729. We thought deck 11 was a bit too high when compared with 9729.

The idea of having the extra space of the "secret balcony" is nice, but we thought the view was much better on 9.

I'm sure your questions have probably already been answered (I didn't read the thread) but I just want to say that I would never recommend someone take a cruise on an Oasis class as their first cruise simply because it is so busy and so much to do. You might feel overwhelmed.

I'm not trying to scare you off just my opinion.

Make sure you make your show and dinner reservations before boarding.

Food is subjective but here is my advice: Eat at Chops, skip 150 Central Park, and eat breakfast at Johnny Rockets

That aside, I know you will still have a great time and welcome to our addiction.

We watched shows from the "secret deck"/deck 11, as well as our 9729 balcony and thought view of the shows was better from 9729. We thought deck 11 was a bit too high when compared with 9729.

The idea of having the extra space of the "secret balcony" is nice, but we thought the view was much better on 9.

Thanks so much!! This is exactly the kind of comparison I was looking for, and makes me feel more confident about my room selection!!

I'm sure your questions have probably already been answered (I didn't read the thread) but I just want to say that I would never recommend someone take a cruise on an Oasis class as their first cruise simply because it is so busy and so much to do. You might feel overwhelmed.

I'm not trying to scare you off just my opinion.

Make sure you make your show and dinner reservations before boarding.

Food is subjective but here is my advice: Eat at Chops, skip 150 Central Park, and eat breakfast at Johnny Rockets

That aside, I know you will still have a great time and welcome to our addiction.

Thanks so much! A longtime cruiser recommended this ship for the exact reason of there being so much to do! I get very restless and bored just hanging around, so really had no interest in cruising. I had no idea so much was available on board, so I'm pretty excited now to see!

We have 12729 for our November cruise on Oasis. Does anyone know where the Pullman bed comes out in this room? My 13 year old will be in sofa bed and 5 year old in Pullman. Looks like a great cabin.