Do people buy Travel insurance? Sailing March 13 on the Fascination

11jrob11

I was wondering if people buy Travel Insurance?

We will be sailing on March 13 out of Jacksonville leaving from Baltimore. Hopefully there will not be bad weather which could cancel our flight.

I looked at several insurance companies and it would cost around $120ish .

Is it worth it or spend the $4 on DOD?

Thanks for the advise in advance

it really depends on you.

can you afford to lose the money? is sounds like march wont have too many weather related issues but you never know. if it gives you peace of mind, I would do it.

Many many people get it and many people dont. How bad would it bother you if you missed the ship for whatever reason and lost the cruise and the money?

We do purchase travel insurance...we would rather lose a hundred bucks paying for the insurance than needing medical care out of the country and being handed a bill for tens of thousands of dollars:)

Edited by pauleydm

Absolutely, yes. I had to cancel a sailing for gallbladder surgery the morning we were due to sail. Had I been sailing the week I got sick, I'd have been in an airlift situation from the ship due to the infection. Travel insurance is just part of the cruise price for me.

Check and double check your medical coverage overseas. Many providers are dropping international coverage and medicare also doesn't cover overseas travel.

Edited by vacruizer

My old policy was to buy cruise insurance if we have to fly to the port, but not if driving since it is unlikely that we would miss the cruise. However, since cruises generally and Carnival-owned cruises in particular have had so many problems, I will probably buy it from now on, in case we need to leave the ship and fly home. For my next cruise I bought insurance that allows me to cancel for a work-related reason since I have a new job and will probably have a lot of deadlines around that time.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app

Yes. Go to Insure my trip dot com and compare policies. I usually go with TravelGuard Gold or TravCan Premier.

I got food poisoning on the Conquest last month. While the initial visit and medication was on Carnival, if I would have needed an IV (which I almost did) the costs start at $200 and that wouldn't have had included more meds or Dr/Nurse visit.

We used to buy the insurance when we planned trips without our kids, just in case one of them got sick and we couldn't go. They are all grown up and have given us grandchildren. Then, we bought insurance because our parents were getting on in years. We lost all 4 of them after long illnesses. Now we buy insurance because we are the old ones most likely to have a problem.

Even with insurance you need to be prepared to pay out of pocket for medical care out of the country. There is a great blog online about a family's experience when the husband had a heart attack at a resort near Cancun. They had to come up with $28,000 for his treatment (which turned out to be great medical care) and then file for reimbursement with the travel insurance. We always travel with credit cards that can easily handle such bills, as well as lots of cash to pay for incidentals like taxis etc in case of an emergency.

You can read about their experience here : http://iberostarrocks.com/category/medical-care/page/2/

Edited by DebJ14

We used to buy the insurance when we planned trips without our kids, just in case one of them got sick and we couldn't go. They are all grown up and have given us grandchildren. Then, we bought insurance because our parents were getting on in years. We lost all 4 of them after long illnesses. Now we buy insurance because we are the old ones most likely to have a problem.

Even with insurance you need to be prepared to pay out of pocket for medical care out of the country. There is a great blog online about a family's experience when the husband had a heart attack at a resort near Cancun. They had to come up with $28,000 for his treatment (which turned out to be great medical care) and then file for reimbursement with the travel insurance. We always travel with credit cards that can easily handle such bills, as well as lots of cash to pay for incidentals like taxis etc in case of an emergency.

You can read about their experience here : http://iberostarrocks.com/category/medical-care/page/2/

That's a great read and gives such insight into overseas care. You aren't guaranteed care overseas like you would be in the United States. You often have to pay upfront - otherwise they don't treat you. A good travel insurance policy can step in and help by wiring funds if necessary and it's always a good idea to have a couple of high-limit, low-balance credit cards for emergencies.

You buy insurance to cover monies that you can not loose or do not want to loose. Only you can make that decision.

We carry medical and evacuation only knowing that we have no coverage for anything else that can happen.

There was a recent post from a guy who could not get from New Orleans to his start point because of the recent bad weather. He had no insurance. He was hoping that the cruise company would help him in some way.

My comment to him was "tough". I also said that if they gave him anything, everyone who purchases cruise insurance should demand their money back. Can you accept the loss of all the money you paid for for the cruise or any medical or evacuation expenses you incur on the cruise?. If so, do not buy insurance.

DON