A "I do not want to be Upgraded" Question

Yumagal

I wrote my TA asking to have my reservation marked as "do not upgrade". The TA wrote back stating that it is not necessary to do with Celebrity??? This doesn't seem correct to me. What say all you experienced Celebrity cruisers??

I wrote my TA asking to have my reservation marked as "do not upgrade". The TA wrote back stating that it is not necessary to do with Celebrity??? This doesn't seem correct to me. What say all you experienced Celebrity cruisers??

You can definitely request it, but Celebrity doesn't have to honor it. The fine print lets them move you, it is their right. However don't worry, Celebrity rarely moves people according to the prior CC boards.

We chose our cabin carefully and our TA specifically put on the reservation "do not upgrade without first notifying and getting permission" - or something like that. We were in A2 and did not want to get upgraded to A1 as we wanted the balcony shade.

Perhaps he didn't have to do that, but he seemed to think it was a good idea. And I thought I'd read on these boards about people being told at the pier by Celebrity that they were upgraded, and they were never consulted, they didn't want the offered upgrade, but their old cabin had already been given away.

read this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1986731

It even happened to host Andy on this board.

The cruise contract does permit it, but its bad for business.

THE ONLY REASON to book early is to secure a favorite cabin, if you can't be assured they will honor that, you may as well take a guarantee cabin every time.

My TA said the same thing and I assume he ended up not putting in the note. He said X does not upgrade without asking you and usually you will have a fee to pay.

We chose our cabin carefully and our TA specifically put on the reservation "do not upgrade without first notifying and getting permission" - or something like that. We were in A2 and did not want to get upgraded to A1 as we wanted the balcony shade.

Perhaps he didn't have to do that, but he seemed to think it was a good idea. And I thought I'd read on these boards about people being told at the pier by Celebrity that they were upgraded, and they were never consulted, they didn't want the offered upgrade, but their old cabin had already been given away.

We were given upgraded rooms on HAL. We didnt want them. They seemed to give us a choice to take the upgraded rooms or not go on the cruise. We went on the cruise. The rooms were nice. Double sinks with shower and separate tub. The cabin was also larger. They were not in the location we wanted. We have not cruised with HAL since. My last cruise on HAL was 2009. We have done 14 cruise since that HAL cruise. None on HAL. With celebrity we also have a notify TA before upgrade. Richard

Edited by bigbenboys
add info

We WERE upgraded at the pier for our first Celebrity cruise, but it was more than a dozen years ago, and we had booked a guarantee window room, category 4-8, so we chose category 4, then the highest grade window. At the pier we were informed of our cabin number which didn't comport with the room we'd previously been assigned. We had been upgraded to a 1-A balcony cabin, but I truly believe it was because we had lodged a complaint before sailing regarding

Their awful flight assignments. In those days, we booked air through the cruise line. Never again since then:)

But I think that is why they gave us an upgrade without even asking first

Thanks for the quick responses. The reason I'm so concerned is we have one of the large hump balconies and booked that room specifically for that balcony. I'm going to ask the TA to humor me and put some kind of note stating that we don't want an up grade.

We WERE upgraded at the pier for our first Celebrity cruise, but it was more than a dozen years ago, and we had booked a guarantee window room, category 4-8, so we chose category 4, then the highest grade window. At the pier we were informed of our cabin number which didn't comport with the room we'd previously been assigned. We had been upgraded to a 1-A balcony cabin, but I truly believe it was because we had lodged a complaint before sailing regarding

Their awful flight assignments. In those days, we booked air through the cruise line. Never again since then:)

But I think that is why they gave us an upgrade without even asking first

No one will ever know, but I have another thought about why you were upgraded. Celebrity is known for upgrading first time cruisers (as opposed to their most loyal cruisers). Theory seems to be to 'hook' people on the brand, and perhaps give the false impression upgrades are frequent. They most definitely are not! Sorry for sounding like sour grapes, but 9 times out of 10 (or more) when one reads about true upgrades on these boards (as opposed to people getting higher level cabins via GTY bookings), it is a first time Celebrity cruiser. I honestly doubt it had anything to do with a pre-sailing complaint, but who knows. I certainly wouldn't turn it down:)