studio pricing

Ba' Datz

I have looked at a number of sailing where studios were available (for example on the Serenade) and it always came out that they were more expensive than a deck 2 interior which is larger. I don't understand the reasoning behind that as the studios were to allow the solo cruiser to sail at a lower price.

I realize that the studio is on deck 4 and this is deck 2, but having been on the ship I think 2 would be better than 4 as the studio is right next to the somewhat noisy Centrum.

Explainations anyone?

I've sailed on the Serenade and the Navigator before and have a March 2nd cruise on her (Navigator) coming up and never heard of a studio. What category is this? Can you give us a cabin number, please?

Edited by lady_cruiser

I've sailed on the Serenade and the Navigator before and have a March 2nd cruise on her (Navigator) coming up and never heard of a studio. What category is this? Can you give us a cabin number, please?

It is category SI and is sold out on a lot of cruises so it does not show up on the offerings. There are three of them on the Serenade 4583, 4585, 4587

Edited by badatz

It is category SI and is sold out on a lot of cruises so it does not show up on the offerings. There are three of them on the Serenade 4583, 4585, 4587

example?

By the way, just because a cabin may be near the centrum doesn't mean you will hear it

Edited by SeaUs

example?

By the way, just because a cabin may be near the centrum doesn't mean you will hear it

I do not understand what you mean by "example"

As to the noise, I did stay near the cabins and when there is a loud party in the Centrum you definately hear it.

But the main point of my post is, "why are the studios more expensive?"

I just had the same experience with Serenade - the insides on deck 2 were less than the SI studio cabins. I did the Brilliance TA in a deck 2 inside and loved it and I had no hesitation about booking one again. It was super convenient to the Centrum and you could even hear the Centrum noise from the elevator area (but not from the cabins). In several ports the gangway was on deck 2 right next to the elevators.

It's my understanding that you will only get one cruise point/day for an SI cabin whereas you will get 2 cruise points/day for any double cabin, so why would you want to pay more to get less? The inside cabins on radiance class ships have ample space for one person, particularly if you separate the beds.

I just had the same experience with Serenade - the insides on deck 2 were less than the SI studio cabins. I did the Brilliance TA in a deck 2 inside and loved it and I had no hesitation about booking one again. It was super convenient to the Centrum and you could even hear the Centrum noise from the elevator area (but not from the cabins). In several ports the gangway was on deck 2 right next to the elevators.

It's my understanding that you will only get one cruise point/day for an SI cabin whereas you will get 2 cruise points/day for any double cabin, so why would you want to pay more to get less? The inside cabins on radiance class ships have ample space for one person, particularly if you separate the beds.

you have to also understand that if a single person wanted a interior cabin on deck 2 it would be paying 200% of whatever the price was for the interior room. SI cabins have no single supplement so they are not more expensive than interior rooms

That's the theory, but it was not true for the Serenade cruise I just booked yesterday. A category Q regular inside cabin with a 200% supplement was less than one of the SI cabins mentioned by the OP, which according to the description is smaller than a regular inside. This cruise just opened for bookings, so there have been no price drops.

However, it was a different story on the Quantum SB balcony cabin. I was able to use the full D+ balcony discount which made the balcony SB less than the inside SI. Both were considerably less than booking a regular inside as a solo.

Edited by 138east

That's the theory, but it was not true for the Serenade cruise I just booked yesterday. A category Q regular inside cabin with a 200% supplement was less than one of the SI cabins mentioned by the OP, which according to the description is smaller than a regular inside. This cruise just opened for bookings, so there have been no price drops.

However, it was a different story on the Quantum SB balcony cabin. I was able to use the full D+ balcony discount which made the balcony SB less than the inside SI. Both were considerably less than booking a regular inside as a solo.

wow….thats weird.

you have to also understand that if a single person wanted a interior cabin on deck 2 it would be paying 200% of whatever the price was for the interior room. SI cabins have no single supplement so they are not more expensive than interior rooms

Sorry to say that you are wrong. If you look at my original post you will see that in many case the SI was more expensive than the interior with the supplement. Hence the question

Sorry to say that you are wrong. If you look at my original post you will see that in many case the SI was more expensive than the interior with the supplement. Hence the question

Yes THANK YOU. 138east clarified that.

Edited by CRUISEBOY305

It makes no sense. For the SI cabin it says 108 sq ft, twin bed, accommodates 1, and occupancy 2???? Both the cat Q and N cabins are 52 sq ft bigger and less money. I'm not complaining, but it is a mystery.

Interior Stateroom

Two twin beds that convert to a Royal King, measuring 72.5 inches wide by 82 inches long, sitting area with sofa, vanity area, and a private bathroom.

(160 sq. ft.)

OCCUPANCY: Up to 2 Guests

Per Person Price

Single Guest: $1,598 - $1,738

$1,598 - $1,738

USD

Studio Interior Stateroom

One twin bed, vanity area, and a private bathroom. Room accommodates 1 guest.

(108 sq. ft.)

Per Person Price

Single Guest: $1,678

$1,678

USD

It makes no sense. For the SI cabin it says 108 sq ft, twin bed, accommodates 1, and occupancy 2???? Both the cat Q and N cabins are 52 sq ft bigger and less money. I'm not complaining, but it is a mystery.

Interior Stateroom

Two twin beds that convert to a Royal King, measuring 72.5 inches wide by 82 inches long, sitting area with sofa, vanity area, and a private bathroom.

(160 sq. ft.)

Per Person Price

$1,598 - $1,738

USD

(108 sq. ft.)

Per Person Price

$1,678

USD

It makes no sense because cabin pricing is not set by size. It is set by supply and demand. If there is a lot of demand for the studio cabins the price will go up. It is not unusual to sometimes find ocean view cabins priced higher than a balcony cabin. As the number of available cabins in a category goes down the price of that category tends to go up. It is simply the way that the computer algorithms work.

Interior Stateroom

(160 sq. ft.)

Per Person Price

$1,598 - $1,738

USD

(108 sq. ft.)

Per Person Price

$1,678

USD

that has to be a mistake, I would call RCI

I don't separate the beds, I play furniture tetris. Place both nightstands in one corner, then shove the bed all the way into the other. Now you have the benefits of more walking space when you get out of bed, and ability to sleep on the large bed -- a huge benefit for a moderately restless sleeper.

The cabin stewards may not "get" this if you ask, but they will leave it alone if you do the moving yourself.

I'd say supply and demand at work.

Few studios they know will sell out = higher price. Some may actually enjoy the experience of the studios, the special singles lounge etc. may be a good benefit to some versus a larger cabin.

Maybe they are having a sale on the interior cabins?

I agree about the supply and demand, but this is what I would call "virgin" pricing - bookings just opened and there have been no price changes yet. I find it interesting that there is absolutely no financial incentive at this time to book a solo cabin on the Serenade.

It may very well be a mistake and I will monitor the price. But I'd have to think long and hard about the balance between the money saved and giving up 14 cruise points and a 33% larger cabin. With solos now getting double points, I actually have a good shot at reaching the 340 mark within three years so I can book at a 150% rate on most cruises.

I'd say supply and demand at work.

Few studios they know will sell out = higher price. Some may actually enjoy the experience of the studios, the special singles lounge etc. may be a good benefit to some versus a larger cabin.

Maybe they are having a sale on the interior cabins?

Isn't the special studio lounge an NCL thing? I didn't think RCCL had such an animal, esp. with only 3 or 4 studios on the Radiance class ships...