studio pricing

Ba' Datz

It makes no sense because cabin pricing is not set by size. It is set by supply and demand. If there is a lot of demand for the studio cabins the price will go up. It is not unusual to sometimes find ocean view cabins priced higher than a balcony cabin. As the number of available cabins in a category goes down the price of that category tends to go up. It is simply the way that the computer algorithms work.

I agree with you that it is a question of supply and demand but the real question is why should there be any demand for a studio with the strange pricing which we have seen.

I think that what we are all forgeting is that the purpose of the studio is to provide solo cruisers with a cabin in which they do not have to pay a penalty for cruising alone. In reality there should be NO supplement and it should be charged at the regular per person rate.

These are three cabins built in a space that in most probability could not hold a regular cabin (otherwise they would have built one) so RCL is not losing revenue by having one person but gaining revenue.

Charging ANY supplement for them is unfair

Edited by badatz

I asked the question if you get double points.

The report is no on the studios.

Well I am booked for Alaska if I change to a inside which is larger and get double points its only 147 dollar more.

It's a personal choice. You are already diamond plus. How many points are you from 340? For $147 you get a 160 sq ft cabin instead of 108 sq ft. You get 7 more cruise points which is a cheap buy for $147.

I wasn't paying attention much to the cruise points until they started giving double points to solos. I had a bunch of cruises booked at good single supplement rates - 31 days - and suddenly I had 62 more points and became a D+ for the second leg of a TA. Now that good single supplement rates are hard to come by, I have to pay closer attention to the cruise points.

I agree with you that it is a question of supply and demand but the real question is why should there be any demand for a studio with the strange pricing which we have seen.

I think that what we are all forgeting is that the purpose of the studio is to provide solo cruisers with a cabin in which they do not have to pay a penalty for cruising alone. In reality there should be NO supplement and it should be charged at the regular per person rate.

These are three cabins built in a space that in most probability could not hold a regular cabin (otherwise they would have built one) so RCL is not losing revenue by having one person but gaining revenue.

Charging ANY supplement for them is unfair

Maybe now that they have "invented" studio cabins the IT department now has to "invent" the fix to the computer algorithms?:eek:

Edited by Ocean Boy

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked the Brilliance TA on April 30 for an interior deck 2 Q cabin.

2 pax including taxes $1395

1 pax including taxes and supplement $1196

1 pax in Studio on deck 4 including taxes $1636

No words to explain it

No words to explain it

That's messed up!! I'm a seasoned solo cruiser. I feel for the novice that gets caught up in this trap. :mad:

Points = :p

That's messed up!! I'm a seasoned solo cruiser. I feel for the novice that gets caught up in this trap. :mad:

Points = :p

Do people actually book at this price? Don't they check all the alternatives? I know that I do

I was also just looking at this cruise and saw the same thing. It's crazy! I did the Aug TA in the exact Q cabin being offered and it was great. I've booked a similar cabin on the Serenade for a repo. I don't see myself in one of these SI cabins any time soon. I have a SB booked on the Quantum that was really affordable with the D+ balcony discount, but I'll have to see how it works out in reality.

Do people actually book at this price? Don't they check all the alternatives? I know that I do
Do people actually book at this price? YES

Don't they check all the alternatives? NO

Not knowing what questions to ask is a lifelong problem.

Thom

No words to explain it

I booked Brilliance to the Baltics in May 2015 - Studio was between $1300 and $1400 cheaper than deck 2 Q.

Same here. I booked a solo cabin in Radiance for Australia New Zealand and got only 150% supplement instead of 200%

It is cheaper as a Q cabin with single supplement costs around $2,500 back then while I paid $1700 for that SI cabin.

As for the noise concerns being near to the centrum, there has been another thread on this, and based on actual experience of some, the noise is not an issue due the hallway leading to the centrum turns once before you enter the centrum via a small door so it effectively filters the noise out compared if the hallway leading to the centrum being a straight path.

The studio cabins also has the best location as it is only few steps from the centrum and the MDR..

And add to that the private bathroom of solo cabins is larger than most cabins even if it has a smaller overall room size.

Maybe that is the reason why it is more expensive for some ships.. the location is very prime.

Do people actually book at this price? YES

Don't they check all the alternatives? NO

Not knowing what questions to ask is a lifelong problem.

Just so there is no misunderstanding - I think the previous poster highlighted what people should do. It is people who don't check all the alternatives that don't realize what questions to ask.:eek: