What are options other than the beach in Cozumel

The Phoenixx

I will visit Cozumel for the firs time in July. There are several posts regarding which beach is best, but are there any sights (museums, ruins, points of interest) I should make sure to see? We plan on shopping and hitting the beach for a bit, so something that will only take a couple of hours. :D

Lots to do in Cozumel!! we took a ship excursion the first time we went. It was a pretty good excursion. The last time we went I was looking for something a little more personal without all the people around. So we got a cab for a little under 100 and he drove us anywhere we wanted to go. We went and shopped at a few places that had VERY few people shopping and found some really neat things. He took us to a bar (me and kids stayed in taxi) that was usually only for the locals and my husband went in and got a few beers they said were only available there. We drove the entire island and stopped at a restaurant (we were the only people there) and ate and oh my it was good!!! Then he took us to a tequila place. I really thought I would hate it but very surprised that I enjoyed it. He also took us to a park to see some of the native trees and Iguana's were every where, we even seen a monkey in a tree. The guy driving said that if we saw something interesting and wanted to stop (even the beaches) just to let him know. Also there are ruins and we stopped at one with a beautiful church. That was kind of touristy but not many people. Cozumel has been by far my favorite port.

I will visit Cozumel for the firs time in July. There are several posts regarding which beach is best, but are there any sights (museums, ruins, points of interest) I should make sure to see? We plan on shopping and hitting the beach for a bit, so something that will only take a couple of hours. :D

Brief description of things to see downtown here: http://traveltips.usatoday.com/things-walking-distance-port-cozumel-mexico-55864.html

Small museum, town square and old church downtown. Statues and monuments if you walk along the oceanside of the main street.

Small ruins and area around Punta Sur, with saltwater crocodiles and lighthouse, eastside scenery (all out of town and need a taxi).

For larger ruins you would need to take a day trip, through the cruise line, to the mainland.

There are photo tours, food tours and Amazing Race which include walking around and seeing sights.

When we were in Cozumel in Jan we went to the Cozumel museum. Very nice for history of the island, Mayan culture and they had an art exhibit too. Spent about a hour and half there. We just took a taxi to the ferry port entrance and walked about four blocks along the main street. Lots of nice shoppping in that area too.

Exactly the type of ideas I was looking for. I want to get a feel for the city/culture but not the touristy places. Thanks so much. I was concerned about paying for a cab for the day. Only because of the postings about being taken for a ride on the prices. But if I set the expectations up front, I shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks again for your replies.