Question about Alaska cruise

jssclu07

The Regent cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco has 4 days at sea. Is that great scenery to be enjoyed or simply 4 days of quiet time on board? We want to include San Francisco but are concerned about all the "sea" time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Regent cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco has 4 days at sea. Is that great scenery to be enjoyed or simply 4 days of quiet time on board? We want to include San Francisco but are concerned about all the "sea" time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It will be days of solitude onboard. You can see the coast off the horizon, but you won't be close enough to know where you are.

We have done that cruise in reverse twice. IMO, it is worth everything just to sail out of (or into) San Francisco. As previously stated there is not much to see sea days but things on board are far from quiet. There are always activities planned as well as interesting onboard lecturers to listen to.

We took this cruise last year. The weather was very rainy and overcast. I know weather in Alaska is always iffy, but we feel it would probably be better later in the summer. Loved leaving out of San Francisco. But we got very bored on sea days. If I had it to do over I would definitely go later in the summer.

Predicting weather in Alaska is a challenge. During our first San Francisco to Vancouver cruise (in May) the temperatures reached 80+ degrees in at least two ports. I had to go to a tourist shop to buy a couple of t-shirts as I did not pack anything for warm weather. That year we were not able to visit Tracy Arm since the snow had not melted sufficiently.

The next time (also in May) the weather was cooler but the Navigator was able to cruise Tracy Arm. IMO, the best way to see this area is on a cruise ship rather than on a small, crowded boat.

As I recall, 2013 had pretty poor weather in August so, IMO, there is no way to tell. However, Alaska is beautiful and worth the "risk". One big plus for us is that children are still in school (most of them) in May which gives passengers one of the few "adult" experiences in Alaska during the summer. Also, many residents of Alaska have just returned back from their winter homes and are so excited to see tourists:-)

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I want to do this trip from San Fran to Vancouver, and I was wondering if the Inside Passage has much scenery?

We want to see ice! So we're wanting to go early May. It would be so cool to us to see ice in the water. Will we see lots of ice on this trip?

lol thanks!

My husband and I want to do this trip from San Fran to Vancouver, and I was wondering if the Inside Passage has much scenery?

We want to see ice! So we're wanting to go early May. It would be so cool to us to see ice in the water. Will we see lots of ice on this trip?

If you want to see lots of ice, you probably want to see glaciers -- and as many as you can! This cruise at the start of the summer season, gives you one shot: a couple hours at Hubbard Glacier. Due to ice, early in the season, chances are the ship won't be able to get as close to the glacier as it does later in the season. You also miss out on the opportunity to take an excursion to Tracy Arm fjord and get up close to Sawyer Glacier, which isn't offered until a little later in the season. If you want to see lots of ice -- glaciers, icebergs in the water -- you might want to consider an Alaskan cruise between mid-June and mid-August.

(If you cruise to or from Seward, as all Regent's trips during the prime season do, you also have an opportunity to stay overnight in Seward and do a day cruise there, on your own, that will get you up close and personal with one of the glaciers in Kenai Fjords National Park.) I loved doing these things on our Alaska cruise, and would chose a Vancouver/Seward itinerary for that reason. Cruising out of San Francisco is special, but after the first hour and once out to sea, I don't think the sea days heading north offer as much as the spectacular days cruising in Alaska.

I'm not knocking the cruise you asked about -- others on this board love that itinerary, and I'm sure you'll see ice! -- just offering my opinion about how I'd maximize the scenic sightseeing if that's important to you.

Eric

We had a delightful end of Aug. 2013 cruise from Vancouver to San Fran. and thoroughly enjoyed our sea days. The weather was perfect, think it sprinkled one morning, and actually a couple of days, it was so warm folks went swimming. Blankets were used on the pool deck several days also.....one never knows. You will see a lot of ice at Hubbard Glacier. The ship rotates so everyone gets a super view. Now THAT day was cold!!!!

Enjoy your cruise!! One reason we loved the sea days was visiting and meeting new friends on the pool/grill deck. We've been 3 times and could go back again:)

Patty

lol thanks!

We have been to Alaska many times--in every month from May to August. If the weather is good, there will be lots of ice in the water around Hubbard Glacier, and it is really beautiful. In the 3 times we have been there, one was a perfect sunny day where we could see the glacier well. One (in July), it was blowing a gale with sleet and snow falling. We couldn't see a thing, and the boat couldn't even get close to the glacier. The last it was rainy and very foggy, and we couldn't see much, though we did get pretty close to the glacier. So it just depends on the highly variable weather.

Tracy Arm Fjord is the most beautiful place I have ever been in Alaska. But the earliest you would be able to get in there would probably be the last week of May. But it is outstanding. Constantly calving glaciers, lots of ice in the water.

The inside passage itself is just water, no ice. But parts are very scenic with bald eagles in the trees, sometimes whales, etc.

• 2 months later...

Hello:

Is there anyone out there on the August 6 Navigator cruise, going from Vancouver to Anchorage? Anyone on the four-day Denali extension? This is our second Regent cruise-loved the Baltics last summer on Voyager-and would like to correspond in advance with someone who is also going.

Thanks.

Sharon

We've just done the SF to Vancouver cruise and apart from one day, had excellent weather. Yes, there are 4 sea days, but one of them is spent sailing through magnificent icy/mountainous scenery approaching Hubbard Glacier - unforgettable, and another is spent cruising through the Inside Passage which was not as scenic if you prefer ice, but beautiful in its own way. Of course, whenever you go to Alaska, you have to be prepared for rain - we got 'lucky'. You can just as easily get 'unlucky' in June, July and August - its a game of chance. For us, the opportunity to visit Icy Straight and Sitka, both of which had magnificent icy/snowy mountainous scenery was worth the remaining 2 sea days. You only get to see these two ports in the May and end of August itineraries. I have to agree with TC2, the sail out of San Francisco under the Golden Gate Bridge was magical - not the highlight of the cruise, but something not to be missed if you get the chance.

Enjoy your cruise whenever you decide to take it.

Sailing in May does not mean you will not be able to get close to Hubbard Glacier and will miss Tracy Arm. In fact, on one of our Alaska cruises, we did Tracy Arm on the Navigator (much better than on an excursion IMO). That cruise was in May. Also in May we got closer to the Hubbard Glacier than the Navigator had ever been. We also had 82 degree weather in Juneau in May. You cannot predict weather in Alaska.

San Francisco to Vancouver is my favorite Alaska itinerary!

We are currently on the Navigator, Vancouver to Seward. They had the excursion to Tracy Arm. As a matter of fact they said they had been doing the excursions since May 19. Due to significant calving and tons of ice in the water we didn't have time to get right up to Sawyer Glacier, but we had a great view. We also saw orca and humpback whales, seals and their pups, a black bear. The captain said they had more ice in the water near the glacier than he had seen in four years. While you may indeed have a better opportunity later in the summer, you can't assume this tour won't be available since we just did it and it was fabulous.