Express Self assisted disembark

Hey all

I am just wondering what people's thoughts are on express self assisted disembark. I do understand that you should be mindful of amount and size of luggage you have. I have learned to pack light, so I don't think that will an issue with me. Will be cruising on the Oasis of the Seas in May and was thinking about this option. I don't think I have ever gotten off any ship at the time the cruise line said (both RCL and Princess).

I usually do this on short cruises...or if I am traveling by myself. I have 1 small rolling suitcase that I can easily carry down stairs if (most likely) the elevators are to crowded...it has worked well for me.

We have done the express self assisted disembark off the Oasis 3 times. Twice we had no problems we were walking off the ship and in our car within 15 minutes. One time we had an hour long delay in customs (someone tried to smuggle through marijuana). We had to stand in a hallway with all our luggage for over an hour while the K9 unit patrolled up and down the hall sniffing our bags. It just depends on what happens in customs, but its a nice option for a (normally) speedy disembark

As long as you can manage your own luggage, it is so much easier. If you want to self disembark but not deal with larger bags, Luggage Valet may be an option as well. Depends on your airline, flight time and port you are leaving from. We just did it today and it was the best $20 we spent all week.

I think it depends on the port. We did it in Boston and it was a zoo. We watched it in Miami where there was a delay and people were getting nasty but I've seen it go like clockwork in Port Everglades. We try to use luggage valet whenever possible because we never drive to port except for Boston.:rolleyes: If you're driving, it's probably worth the gamble. If your flying, depending on the port, seek advice each time.

We almost always do this. Customs can get backed up at any time if there is an issue. You can not tell this in advance. . . . and the people with the numbers are after that. so, think of how long they have to wait.

If you can handle your luggage it is the way to go. [also, I do not like having to set out my luggage--I always think it will be lost.]:o

We did this in Sept. on Freedom at Port Canaveral with 6 of us all having a large suitcase and a backpack (about panicked when the day before had a paper saying no large suitcases as you have to use escalator and be able to hold on! Customer service said it would be ok) we needed to be off the ship as soon as possible as we had to get everyone driven to Pa to work Mon. morning I was surprised how long the line was and heard many people grumbling but we were off the ship had the car top packed and leaving by 8:15 so I was happy with it!