My Freedom Review - Kinda "Live" but not really with lots of pics

sayvan

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the wonderful pictures of Grand Turk outside of Margaritaville. We hope to grab a taxi and get in to town and a visit to the lighthouse.

Your very welcome... we are very glad we took the time to explore the island!

After returning from our tour, we walked around the cruiseship centre for a little bit and then headed toward Margaritaville and the beach... The time had come to kick back and refresh a bit.

So off we went to the beach first...

P1070586.jpg

With two ships in port you would have thought that the beach and Margaritaville would have been packed but this was not really the case. I mean the crowds were there but we had no trouble at all finding a couple of loungers and enjoying the wonderful weather we were experiencing.

P1070587.jpg

P1070591.jpg

Of course, we had a great view of Freedom directly in front of us.

DSC_0215-100.jpg

Vanda looking very relaxed...

DSC_0216-101.jpg

I always enjoy a local beer when I am on the Islands and seeing as we were near Margaritaville... Hey It's 5 O'clock Somewhere!

P1070593.jpg

Now if you have never been to Grand Turk before the set up is perfect. The ship pulls up to a rather long dock.. similar to the one you find in Cozumel I would say and the cruiseship centre is right at the end of the dock. There is beach both to the left and to the right of the dock. The beach is totally swimmable although when you first enter the water it can in spots be a bit rocky but this is only for a few feet and then nice soft sand. The beach is full of lounge chairs and they are all free. If you want a little privacy all you need to do is walk down the beach a bit and you will find lots of open space and a few bars as well.

Vanda decided to go for a dip in the water then get her tan on and read a book so I took that opportunity for a little walk down the beach... the sand is pure white and so very soft. The water is a pure, clear aqua blue colour that just looks so amazing.

DSC_0218-103.jpg

DSC_0219-104.jpg

Freedom

DSC_0221-106.jpg

DSC_0222-107.jpg

Beach Activities

DSC_0223-108.jpg

DSC_0225-110.jpg

Words won't describe this so I wont even try... oh and the water was very warm!

DSC_0226-111.jpg

Catamaran anyone?

DSC_0227-112.jpg

P1070582.jpg

The famous Jacks Shack! A well known bar along the beach in Grand Turk

P1070579.jpg

After some beach time we decided to head into Margaritaville and see if we could find some our friends from our dinner table as we had talked about meeting up in the area.

P1070616.jpg

Now I have to admit with no regrets that I am a huge Jimmy Buffett fan. Yes I am a Canadian Parrothead. The man is a hero to the theme of beach parties, kicking back and well as he says "Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes". If you have never been to a Jimmy concert you are missing out on the biggest beach party you can imagine. I have had the opportunity to visit his Margaritaville's from Niagara Fall, Canada to Sydney, Australia and many in between and each one is such a fun place to be. The Margaritaville in Grand Turk is an experience like no other. The restaurant area seats over 500 people and the place comes with a huge pool, cabana huts and loungers and tables and bridges and much more not to mention the 59 different flavours of Margarita's they offer.

The pool is huge with an entrance similar to being on the beach, it also has a swim up bar! I will let the pictures take it from here.

DSC_0230-115.jpg

DSC_0231-116.jpg

DSC_0232-117.jpg

P1070599.jpg

P1070600.jpg

DSCF1532-121.jpg

I found a spot near the Pool waters edge and set up our stuff. Vanda was off taking some pictures (we always have more than one camera with us) so I snapped her taking some shots from one of the 3 bridges in Margaritaville that connects the different areas of the pool...

DSC_0233-118.jpg

Then it was time for a quick dip in the pool...

DSC_0234-119.jpg

and who can resist a Margarita when at Jimmy Buffetts...

DSC_0236-120.jpg

As the photographer of the family I don't often get in the shots but Vanda saw me off in the distance where I had located a spot for us to sit at... I think I was looking for her actually... I am the guy standing with the "fun" hat on! As you can see, despite two ships being in port there were seats available.

DSCF1534-123.jpg

We then spotted our friends from Dinner and headed over to sit with them for the remainder of our time in Margaritaville.

We were lucky that when we made our way over to J and Mike there was an open spot beside them. As a result, I had a place to rest some of my stuff...

DSC_0239-128.jpg

We then noticed a Parrot walking around and just had to get our photo's with her...

This is Mike and J (the Newlyweds)

Honeymoon5186-3.jpg

Me with the newlyweds... that's right they wanted to spend their honeymoon with me.. the guy in the "fun" hat.

Honeymoon5181-Edit-1.jpg

Vanda and I...

DSC_0237-126.jpg

...and of course we cant leave my new friend Landshark out of the picture..

DSC_0241-130.jpg

We also met a fellow Canadian couple from Winnipeg or as we say in Canada Winterpeg... Here the ladies (left to right Vanda, Jerilyn and Linda) strike a pose

DSC_0242-Edit-131.jpg

We continued our fun in Margaritaville snapping photos of each other and enjoying the pool to cool off...

A couple of hotties enjoying their day...

Honeymoon5187-4.jpg

We then noticed that the flow rider had opened up and we headed over to watch some of the fun.....and wipe outs...

DSC_0244-134.jpg

This girl was another Canadian from Montreal..

DSC_0251-142.jpg

..and our new friend from Winnipeg gave it a whirl...

DSC_0246-136.jpg

This little one was calm and cool as she struck a pose on the board...

DSC_0254-145.jpg

our Margaritaville waiter also gave it a try....

DSC_0257-148.jpg

Here Vanda and Jerilyn are enjoying watching the flowrider...drinks in hand..

DSC_0248-138.jpg

This is Jonathan, another Canadian who is also at our dinner table. He looks like he had it figured out.....

DSC_0259-150.jpg

until this....

DSC_0260-151.jpg

What a great day in Margaritaville. After quite a few Landsharks I was surprised my photos were not as blurred as I was feeling. It was now time to head back to the ship... we in no way wanted to be a runner! We did some quick shopping and then made our way back to the ship..

Walking back to the dock I got a pretty good shot of the Westerdam and Freedom embarking all of us back on...

DSC_0262-153.jpg

Did I mention how gorgeous the water was today....

P1070566.jpg

We had about 1 hour until sailaway so I headed up to deck 10 to watch us leave... The Westerdam was the first to go...

DSC_0264-155.jpg

It had been an early start and a long day, but it was a great day... we started with the sunrise and we were not getting ready to head for San Juan, our next Port of call.

Slowly Freedom started to pull away from the dock....

DSC_0263-154.jpg

DSC_0268-156.jpg

DSC_0270-158.jpg

Margaritaville now a distant memory....

DSC_0271-159.jpg

Good-Bye Grand Turk... although it would seem your trying to welcome us back! Such a tease...

DSC_0274-160.jpg

DSC_0275-161.jpg

Just some more from the sailaway....

DSC_0276-162.jpg

DSC_0278-164.jpg

DSC_0279-165.jpg

Once away from the port and back into open waters the action on the Decks 9 and 10 started up... folks still had some party left in them.

DSC_0282-168.jpg

The water slide was ready to go...

DSC_0283-169.jpg

The View from the water slide pool toward the aft of the ship

DSC_0289-175.jpg

A sailaway dance party...

DSC_0290-176.jpg

DSC_0291-177.jpg

DSC_0292-178.jpg

Once again, we partied so much during the day that we had little to no energy for the night. We headed back to our room after a great day in Grand Turk, showered up for dinner and then came right back to bed... no regrets we had a fabulous time in Grand Turk. It was everything we had hoped it would be... we saw all corners of the island and made some great memories, met some new friends and got to know some we had already met even better... The sunset at the end of the day summed up our day... just beautiful!

DSC_0254-349.jpg

See you next in San Juan!

SAYVAN,

Was the lighthouse at Grand Turk open? The last time we were there, it was under renovation.

Unfortunately the lighthouse was closed. I just asked my wife and she said she recalls a sign saying it was under renovation still. Not sure when you were last there but my guess is the Reno must be on "island time".

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

OMG! Thanks for the review! We were on this cruise too and I've seen parts of our group in about 5 or 6 of your pics! LOL! That little girl on the flowrider is my niece! We had a great time and couldn't have asked for better weather!

Well talk about a small world. Always cool when you see yourself in someone else's pictures during a review. Your niece was very good on that flowrider from what I recall! You will have to point out to me where you are in my pics and yes the weather was fabulous.

Edited by sayvan

We were on the Freedom in 2012 - so this brings many memories. Lovin' the pictures of the ship and Grand Turks. We're going back on her this September and can't wait. Also - can't wait for more of your review.

Thanks for following along. Tomorrow San Juan!

Hi there..what a GREAT review so far!! I have seen some pictures of our group in Grand turk..Iam the "WOOOhOOO girl" Im sure u remember me..talk to u and your wife almost everytime I seen ya!! It was a GREAT cruise..and nice chatting with u..cant wait to read the rest of your review..:)

Well talk about a small world. Always cool when you see yourself in someone else's pictures during a review. Your niece was very good on that flowrider from what I recall! You will have to point out to me where you are in my pics and yes the weather was fabulous.

Hi there..Love the review..and seen some pictures of our group..:) Iam the wooohooo girl..im sure u remember me..LOL!! Looking forward to the rest of the review..Iam not sure if iam doing this commenting rite..very first time..trying to figure it out..