Queen Mary 2 in Sydney 19 Feb

Great captures David, thank you. Can even see our sheltered balcony in the first pic. :) About the third cabin down under the 'C'. :)

Soooooo excited, only 2 more sleeps. Just wish she could dock at a decent cruise terminal.

Just saw on the weather that they're expecting very severe thunderstorms in Sydney this afternoon. Hope that doesn't happen, don't want to spoil everyones sailaway from Sydney, not to mention the thousands of people who will be on the shore watching her leave.

Jill:)

Edited by Gold Coast Cruisers

Can even see our sheltered balcony in the first pic. :) About the third cabin down under the 'C'. :)

Thats the same cabins that we were in. Easy to pick out as we always looked for the first row of cabins from where the white paint started :D

They are very nice staterooms. The balcony is more like a lanai with an open window cut in the hull. When we cruised in the Northern Hemisphere we did not use the balcony much as it got no sun and was constantly cold and damp. It never seemed to dry out. Those cabins also got the nickname .... "Hull Holes".

They are very handy cabins , although moving around the ship is never a problem...its just the distance:eek:

Thats the same cabins that we were in. Easy to pick out as we always looked for the first row of cabins from where the white paint started :D

They are very nice staterooms. The balcony is more like a lanai with an open window cut in the hull. When we cruised in the Northern Hemisphere we did not use the balcony much as it got no sun and was constantly cold and damp. It never seemed to dry out. Those cabins also got the nickname .... "Hull Holes".

They are very handy cabins , although moving around the ship is never a problem...its just the distance:eek:

Excellent, great to hear from someone who has experienced these cabins David. We think it looks like a great spot to be on the ship. Yes I said to DH we'll be doing a lot of walking onboard just to get to and from our cabin, let alone getting around the ship in general.

It'll keep us fit that's for sure. :)

Jill :)

Edited by Gold Coast Cruisers

I must be the only one who doesn't see the appeal in this ship :confused:

Interesting comment stass1. What is it that doesn't appeal to you? I would love to hear your thoughts.

This will be our first time on this ship but it has always had a huge appeal to us since the day it was launched. :)

Jill:)

I guess so.

Even my husband who isn't a great ship person and my sons who've never been on a ship before think she's a magnificent specimen.

Have you been on the QM2?

There's nothing really in particular I think the outside looks quite old fashioned to me. But it's not really aimed at my age group though. I'm sure the inside is very nice. It's probably bigger than I like as well. Different boats for different folk as they say!

I can understand that.

We all see things through different eyes. For some its a Holden or a Ford that appeals.

For me the appeal of QM2 is the magic that it exudes and the realisation that dreams can be achieved.

When QM2 was launched , she was the largest moving object on the planet.

When QM2 was launched Mickey Arison , the owner of Carnival Corporarion , fullfilled his dream and silenced his critics who said she could never be built. Not only did he build a one off ship that brought back all the Glamour and Romance of travel, but he weaved the Cunard marketing magic and made the ship pay her way.

There will never be another QM2. We should get out there and enjoy her while we can.

Do you think she big?

Heres a few quick facts comparing her to others. Shes only a baby these days.

She only carries 700 more passengers than Dawn Princess but is nearly twice the size. You never feel crowded on board.

Allure of the Seas Quick Facts:

Year built: 2010

Shipyard: STX Europe

Bahamian Registry

GRT: 220,000 tons Length: 1,187 feet

Beam: 184 feet

Public Decks: 16

Passengers: 5,400

Crew: 2,150

Space Ratio 40

Voyager of The Seas

Year built: 1999

Shipyard : Aker Finnyards in Turku Finland

GRT: 137,276 GTLength:311 m (1,020 ft)

Beam:38.6 m (127 ft)

Decks:15

Passengers: 3,138

Crew:1,181

Space Ratio : 43

Cunard Queen Mary 2 Facts:

Year built: 2004

Shipyard: Chantiers de l´Atlantique, St. Nazaire, France

Registery: Southampton

GRT: 150,000 tons

Length: 1,132 feet

Beam: 135 feet

Draft: 33 feet

Public Decks: 12

Passengers: 2,620

Crew: 1,253

Space Ratio: 57

Dawn Princess Quick Facts:

Year built: 1997

Shipyard: Fincantieri, Italy

Registry: Bermuda

GRT: 77,000 tons

Length: 856 feet

Beam: 105 feet

Public Decks: 14

Passengers: 1,950

Crew: 900

Space Ratio: 40

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

There's nothing really in particular I think the outside looks quite old fashioned to me. But it's not really aimed at my age group though. I'm sure the inside is very nice. It's probably bigger than I like as well. Different boats for different folk as they say!

I think the bow is the feature I like most as it's purpose built to slice through huge seas.

My kids are in their twenties and want to see her close up so they plan to drop me off at the Port as they are allowed to get really close for passenger drop offs. Maybe not an age thing but a style thing then.

Thank-you Kiwi Kruzer. Next time round (March 14) I'll be onboard. :p

Unfortunately we will be getting off after cruising from Adelaide. We are also in a midship Deck 5 enclosed balcony and will be happy to be there. Looking forward to holidaying in Adelaide and then returning to Sydney on QM2.

Unfortunately we will be getting off after cruising from Adelaide. We are also in a midship Deck 5 enclosed balcony and will be happy to be there. Looking forward to holidaying in Adelaide and then returning to Sydney on QM2.

We did that first time in 2012. We had a wonderful time. Made the most of every minute.

Edited by Pushka

Hi,

It has no appeal for me either...i think the ship would be nice but the so called status that surrounds her would put me off.

I work in a suit each day ,my work place is mostly in Law Courts.....to me a cruise is to get away from that formal type of enviroment...just my view.