Teenagers

Ksack

I have three teen girls and we have never had an issue and have been on lots of cruises. We generally eat meals together and in the morning we show them where we are sitting by the pool. We have meet back times at the room for dinner. They do roam the ship and this has never been a problem. Usually they find a few friends and its fun to be able to go grab a ice cream together or walk around. Their curfew is when the teen club closes. I heard I concierge may not be working. Happy Cruising!

So you guys sit at the pool from morning until dinner?

It's a very nice way to relax all day on your cruise!

I can't imagine that you really meant that you put your towels on the chairs and that's where you leave them all day, because that would be very, very bad.....

So you guys sit at the pool from morning until dinner?

It's a very nice way to relax all day on your cruise!

I can't imagine that you really meant that you put your towels on the chairs and that's where you leave them all day, because that would be very, very bad.....

Awesome DinaS - way to read into something just for the sheer purpose of starting nonsense. What a helpful post.

It amazes me these comments with parents who say they're over protective..I must be the most over protective mother there is then as my teen would never be allowed to roam the cruise ship?? What age teens are we talking about? I would sign my kids in and out of a teen program. I do tend to watch my kids like hawks there is way to many problems that can arise..I've always seen mischievous teen behavior on cruises and always have wondered where are these kids parents. Now I get it, parents actually let their kids roam free..
So do you use those kiddie leash things when you go to the mall?

If you assume that your kids will be behaving mischieviously simply because you aren't watching them like a hawk, then the problem is with your own teens. Many parents have raised kids who have good judgment, common sense, who have earned trust and demonstrated responsibility, and can be given age-appropriate freedom.

Edited by LrgPizza

I agree with most the other parents comments. My boys 15/16 are given their freedom with all the same rules. No other cabins or roaming cabin deck hallways, check in every couple of hours, be respectful of other passengers, meet back at the cabin for evening meals. Not following the rules ends up with spending the next day with Mom:D. Something they would prefer no to do while on a cruise:(. They don't take their cells phones as they are usually in and out of the pools or on the waterslides. I also find a quiet chair for the day somewhere close to the sports deck and they come by. Yes!! I do stay there most the day. It is surprising how much you run into them as they are usually in the same places. I also have a good idea of where they are from the daily ship activities. They go through it and let me know which activities they plan to go to.

It amazes me these comments with parents who say they're over protective..I must be the most over protective mother there is then as my teen would never be allowed to roam the cruise ship?? What age teens are we talking about? I would sign my kids in and out of a teen program. I do tend to watch my kids like hawks there is way to many problems that can arise..I've always seen mischievous teen behavior on cruises and always have wondered where are these kids parents. Now I get it, parents actually let their kids roam free..

You cannot sign a teen in and out of the program. Once they hit a certain age, they can sign themselves in and out. That being said, I made mine wait in the program until I arrived. She was not allowed to leave on her own. I did this until and while she was 14. When she was 15, she was allowed to leave the program on her own to return to the cabin. She also did things during the day with her friends. When she was 16, she was allowed "out" with a curfew of midnight. She is 17 now. Same rules still apply - under no circumstances is she allowed in anyone else's cabin. I will allow her to stay "out" until 1 am this year, which is the ship's curfew for teens.

Edited by Poohsmommi

It is easier with boys. We have an 18 and 16 year old. They are both athletes. Once I realized they could kick my butt, I stopped worrying so much. When they were younger our rule was never off on your own. Buddy system all the way. We give them lots of freedom but I still warn before every cruise that if security calls me about you, your cruise and life as you know it will be over....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our DS was 14 on his first cruise and "ran" with another group of kids his age the whole time. They were mostly on the sports court and the teen center. I did not have any communication with him except that he knew where he could find me and I knew where to find him (again on the court or teen center with the video games). I saw him 4 or 5 times a day to keep in touch, but his Dad and I could not compete with new friends in his age group. He is now an "old man" of 26 and refuses to cruise during Spring Break.

I thought he would follow all the rules since kids mind their parents right??? And he shared a cabin with my Mom so how could there be any problems??? I found out a few years ago that after we told him good night in their cabin that Mom let him leave, come and go at will in the evenings and come in late! She never told on him for coming in at 1am (he bribed her with pizza:eek:). Our rule to "always have dinner together" was blown when he came into the dining room one evening at the last minute, still in his shorts, begging to eat in the food court with his friends - the game had gone on a long time and he lost track of the time. The only mishap we had the whole cruise was the tops of his feet got sunburned because he forgot to put sun lotion on them. He had the best vacation of his life.

That new Carnival commercial with the four boys "who just met yesterday" going down the slide together - that was my DS and his buds.

So make a few rules, get white boards for the cabin doors (don't waste your money on slow internet on the ship) and don't forget to relax and enjoy your own vacation:)

It is easier with boys. We have an 18 and 16 year old. They are both athletes. Once I realized they could kick my butt, I stopped worrying so much. When they were younger our rule was never off on your own. Buddy system all the way. We give them lots of freedom but I still warn before every cruise that if security calls me about you, your cruise and life as you know it will be over....

Amen to that!

My kids are athletes, too. I've never been able to catch either one of my boys!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Yes. We used them on our trip in '06. Made communication with my son very easy.

Some convos that you hear from others were pretty entertaining to say the least!

Good times :)

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

Yes. We used them on our trip in '06. Made communication with my son very easy.

Some convos that you hear from others were pretty entertaining to say the least!

Good times :)

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Oh the fights. Oh the tears. Oh the drama ! Also, occasionally I have picked up communications from the bridge, from other ships and boats. Those were interesting too!

The best method of keeping in touch is the iconcierge app, if your phones will run it. You pay a fee to activate the messaging/calling function and then you can keep in touch using the ships wifi, with no further charges.

Some people have reported times when you lose connection, buy generally I believe it's pretty reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It says on NCL website that internet minute charges apply when wifi is accessed. Are u sure this app is free to use once downloaded?

We had to keep changing the frequencies to stay in touch.

Kids kept messing around and screaming weird stuff.

Funny story in regards to the walkie talkies we had:

My son misplaced his in the arcade half way through. We went to report it lost.

I tried calling from mine to see if anyone had found it.

Sure enough, a gentleman answered me that yes, he had found a walkie talkie under a game in the arcade that day.

We met him in the hallway of our deck, and it turned out to be a neighbor from our home town!! He even remembered my sons name!

What are the chances of losing something in the middle do the Caribbean Ocean, only to have a hometown neighbor find it and return it??

Neither one of us knew we were going on the same cruise!

Weird. I will never forget that.

Happy Sailing!

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

It says on NCL website that internet minute charges apply when wifi is accessed. Are u sure this app is free to use once downloaded?

yes - iconcierge for on ship communication there is an activation fee, but use after that is free.

Edited by kirsty_r

I have 16 and 14 year old boys. We set the rules and they follow them. We use sticky notes left on the mirrors to keep in touch. Leave a note each time you leave the room. Our routine is breakfast and dinner together. Lunch we work out as we go through the day. Boys usually hook up with others their age and check in at set times.

Rules that must be followed:

No one in our cabin

Do not go in anyone's cabin

Don't do anything that will embarrass the family.

Check in time is non negotiable.

Dinner and shows with family.

DO NOT get off ship with out mom and dad.

Do not disturb other guest....be respectful.

If you say you will be at the basketball court then you better be there. If you leave the are then you need to check in.

We have been on many cruises and never had a problem. Each year the rules relaxed a bit and the boys had a little more freedom. This year they have their own room next door to us. I am a bit concerned on sneaking out, but I will do a spot check a couple times the first few nights and let hem know I mean business. If I did not feel they could handle this then I would not do it. I trust my boys. They have never given me a reason not too.

At 16-18 years of age, my kids are certainly given freedom to be independent on a ship, as they are on land, with expectations and accountability. They can hold jobs, drive a vehicle and are nearly ready to leave the house for college! I can imagine signing my 17 yo in and out of a teen club...in a few months he can serve his country, but he needs mom to green-light a trip to the soft serve ice cream?

Thank you. Exactly.

So do you use those kiddie leash things when you go to the mall?

If you assume that your kids will be behaving mischieviously simply because you aren't watching them like a hawk, then the problem is with your own teens. Many parents have raised kids who have good judgment, common sense, who have earned trust and demonstrated responsibility, and can be given age-appropriate freedom.

Actually, I did have one of those kiddie leash backpacks on my daughter in Disneyworld (we usually go twice a year, when she was 2 that is when she wore it, yep and?).. As per me allowing my kids to roam a cruise ship, it has nothing to do with the way my kids act, my son is in off in college taking aeronautical sciences, doing quite well. My other two children are well rounded, doing fine thanks to God. They have always been very good children my husband and I raised them with, lot's of love, good morals, respect, responsibilities, rules. Will I allow them to go roam a cruise ship, absolutely not, not because of their behavior but because there are always dangers out in this world. I do not assume anything, I am speaking of what I've witnessed first hand on several occasions the behaviors of unattended children and teens..Which is precisely what I was basing my statements on previously..Carry on now..

I'd worry more about the freakazoids on the ship than my teen misbehaving. But that is just me. I don't trust anyone when it comes to my kids.

Back in the day ....in 1989 when I was 17, I went on my first cruise with 2 girlfriends who were 18. No parents. I know you can't do that anymore and I look back at how crazy it could have been and some of the nuts we met along the way but we always stuck together.......just like we would have when we went out in normal life, not just cruise life : ) We had no desire to slide down railings, drink ourselves to death, jump off our balcony <-----Wait! There was no balconies on that ship back then : ) BUT there was definitely shady people.....and there will always be shady people so that is where my main concern would lie.

Anywho.... Back to the future, we just got back from the Breakaway last Sunday and there were lots of kids and quite a few teens but whenever we saw them out and about, they were all having a good time without acting like asshats.

Congratulations Raindrops. You win a cookie and ribbon! Carry on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Wow, fivehole?? You should really be proud of yourself for that one. Why did u throw a fit? Adults can be so childish at times when they don't share the same view points with others, since you had your tantrum go sit somewhere you definitely need a time out to put things in perspective, this is a forum...There will be differing points of views...Just because someone does not agree with you as an adult you don't throw typing tantrums..Come now does that make any sense, on a cruising forum?? smh.lol.I swore you were one of the nice ones that helped me on another post..Now you are having tantrum fits on me unbelievable!!!lol

Actually, I did have one of those kiddie leash backpacks on my daughter in Disneyworld (we usually go twice a year, when she was 2 that is when she wore it, yep and?).. As per me allowing my kids to roam a cruise ship, it has nothing to do with the way my kids act, my son is in off in college taking aeronautical sciences, doing quite well. My other two children are well rounded, doing fine thanks to God. They have always been very good children my husband and I raised them with, lot's of love, good morals, respect, responsibilities, rules. Will I allow them to go roam a cruise ship, absolutely not, not because of their behavior but because there are always dangers out in this world. I do not assume anything, I am speaking of what I've witnessed first hand on several occasions the behaviors of unattended children and teens..Which is precisely what I was basing my statements on previously..Carry on now..

I'm just curious what these dangers are that the unattended teens and children pose, against which you must protect your children, (since they can't protect themselves)?

Glad you will always be there so they don't have to ever learn to handle the danger in the world themselves.

Good for you. I would never allow a young child or a young teen to roam unattended either.