Just how much of a "Must Do" is the white pass train in Skagway?

hokies111

I hated the train, it was long, broke down on the way up, and everyone slept all the way back. I would never do it again. It looked to me like you could see everything from the road, no need to spend money on the expensive train ride.

I've done both the road and train on the same day. The train won hands down. On our trip nobody slept because we changed sides at the top . The weather was bright , sunny and warm.

I have the train 3 times and each time it was different.

Edited by Kamloops50

I hated the train, it was long, broke down on the way up, and everyone slept all the way back. I would never do it again. It looked to me like you could see everything from the road, no need to spend money on the expensive train ride.

To each his own...I'm looking forward to my upcoming experience on the WPYR. Must do!

If you and/or everyone slept on the way back, that would be an expensive nap and your loss!

The scenery from the train was very remote and wild. We saw lots of wildlife including eagles and bears. The commentary and history of the area was very well done. The suspension bridges and engineering were true marvels. I enjoyed every minute.

Having said that, I know my kids would have been bored doing the round trip. I love the idea of the one way trip and motorcoach in the other direction. I would certainly consider renting a car, especially if any one in the party is afraid of heights, as the bridges on the railroad cross some impressive gorges.

I'm afraid of heights! I can do planes but if I'm on a high balcony I get weak knees if I go right to the edge. I was planning on doing the train. Is this not a good idea?

I'm afraid of heights and I'm okay as long as I stay inside the train. If I go onto the platform when we are at one of those high places, it bothers me... so I don't do that. Of course, it does depend on your level of fear. My fear is more about instability and the feeling that I might fall, rather than the height itself. A suspension bridge with people jumping and wiggling it will bother me even if it's only a few feet high, but being in a high rise building that's stable doesn't bother me a bit. Glass elevators freak me out.