Can't Decide on a Room... and other questions ;)

violettewaits

Hello all! I am currently in the early stages of planning a 9-day Caribbean cruise on the Gem. My husband and I just sailed on the Gem in January (on the same itinerary, except with a Semana stop instead of Tortola). We stayed in a mini-suite, and felt it was sufficient for us except this time around, we are going to be bringing my brother and I feel we'd likely be all cramped in a mini-suite cabin. Plus, after 9 days, I worry we may get on each other's nerves in such a small space. ;)

I am thus looking to splurge on a Penthouse suite this time around, since it offers more room...but keep watching the tours of the 2-bedroom penthouse and am kind of in love. My question is: Is it really worth it to splurge so much on a 2-bedroom for only 3 people, or do you think the regular penthouse will suffice? Money is of concern, but I'd gladly spend more if its really worth it. It seems like perhaps the 2-bedroom would be overkill for 3 adults but maybe not? Any opinions?

We originally opted to sail on the Breakaway, instead, for their Port Canaveral + Bahamas itinerary, but felt a little put-off by the itinerary (from what I've read here), and by the cost to size ratio. For 3 people, it looks like we'd be forced to do a mini-suite or spa since they do not appear to offer penthouse rooms, aside from the Haven (a little too out of our price range). Any thoughts on this, as well?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Hi there,

Are you talking about the 2 bedroom suite cat SC? Personally, if you could swing the fee, I would go for one because of the second bathroom. I think the mini suite is too small but only because of privacy...since it is your mom.

Now, do the Penthouse suites hold 3?

Which category was that? And approx what is the price difference?

Edited by McCutie
Added info

For our dates in November, the SC 2 bedroom suite would run us $1930 p.p. before taxes. The penthouse with large balcony (SF) would be $1565 p.p. and it looks like occupancy is up to 4 guests, according to the website.

Hi there,

Are you talking about the 2 bedroom suite cat SC? Personally, if you could swing the fee, I would go for one because of the second bathroom.

Now, do the Penthouse suites hold 3?

Which category was that? And approx what is the price difference?

We have only sailed in the Haven so I can only comment on the 2 bedroom Haven room. It is definitely worth the money. The 2 bedroom not in the Haven I believe is the same size, the extra bedroom, bathroom and the living room area is great especially on the 9 day which we have done many times.

I personally think 3 adults is not overkill in that room but that is just my opinion.

Hahah it really is. I guess a better way to ask it would have been: How much more room does the penthouse suite (SF) reeeally offer, versus the mini-suite (MA). ;)

Your question is quite subjective. We put 4 people in an inside cabin. So, umm, sure, get the Penthouse.:D

We do the 2 bedroom SC suite when our adult daughter travels with us - so much nicer to have the extra bathroom and space. You can usually get reduced prices for the 3rd person in your cabin which makes it very affordable. You will LOVE the ocean facing master bath - like you are showering in the ocean!

Oh ok... If you can stretch the buck, go for the SC suite.

Having the extra bed and bath really makes a difference. You won't regret it ESP. Since it is 9 days.

And I agree with mommyto2girls.... The family suite SC is the same floor plan as the family suites in he Haven and it is not overkill at all for 3 people. You will love it!

Edited by McCutie

If you can swing it I say go for it. The extra space/bathroom and having a second bedroom everyone can get some privacy. Also in a mini suite no perks, but in the penthouse you would have that as well. If you do book it keep watching the price. There have been a lot of price drops so maybe the price will come down before final payment. Either way have a great time.

You are 100% right about those "extra activities" and privacy. And my brother is a young, single guy as well so maybe he'd appreciate the privacy also. ;)

I just actually signed up for the price drop emails so I'm hoping that if I book, I can take advantage. Would that be only through the NCL site or if I book through a TA (We used a booking website the first time around and were pretty satisfied)?

Edited by violettewaits

I get the tool award today! Sorry I misread and now see that it is your brother not your mother. I swear I need glasses!

But I still feel the same way about the cabin selection. Go with the SC

And I know you aren't completely sold on the Breakaway itinerary but perhaps you can do 2 cabins on there.... 1 mini suite for you and your hubby and a studio for your brother.

Btw: the Breakaway was great!

We were trying to make the same decision except my SIL is sailing with us. We decided on the 2 bedroom so that she could have her own bathroom and everyone will have their space. I know it was a lot more money and she said she would pay a third of it. I could not make her do that after I saw pictures of the beautiful bathroom I will have. ;)