Attitudes

slhw

This isn't really anything to do with Thomson just a comment on cruising whilst I am feeling a little bruised. Yesterday I read in one of Kruzseekas posts that they always have an inside cabin and spend their money on other things. I intended to reply to say that we did the same thing - we like to have as many holidays as possible and never spend any time in the cabin anyway.

I have just been over to the Cunard forum as I am keeping an eye on their anniversary cruises for 2015. I then read the post about the unlikely rumour that Cunard is to scrap the Grills classes and that Celebrity are about to introduce some sort of elite class. I ended up with the impression that most of the people posting on there travel in the Grills and that the Brittania passengers (about 80% I think ) are really considered to be steerage.

While not taking it too seriously, it left me with a bit of an uncomfortable feeling. We have travelled Cunard in both an inside cabin (sorry, stateroom) and a balcony and I have never really thought that there was much evidence of the 'class system' once on board. After all, even when in an inside cabin, we dress correctly (husband either kilt or DJ) and we do know which cutlery to use. Actually, that made me wonder how many of the people in the suites, today's Celebrities for example, know how to do that.

Wonder how other people read it. Maybe I am just a bit touchy this morning.

Sandie

This isn't really anything to do with Thomson just a comment on cruising whilst I am feeling a little bruised. Yesterday I read in one of Kruzseekas posts that they always have an inside cabin and spend their money on other things. I intended to reply to say that we did the same thing - we like to have as many holidays as possible and never spend any time in the cabin anyway.

I have just been over to the Cunard forum as I am keeping an eye on their anniversary cruises for 2015. I then read the post about the unlikely rumour that Cunard is to scrap the Grills classes and that Celebrity are about to introduce some sort of elite class. I ended up with the impression that most of the people posting on there travel in the Grills and that the Brittania passengers (about 80% I think ) are really considered to be steerage.

While not taking it too seriously, it left me with a bit of an uncomfortable feeling. We have travelled Cunard in both an inside cabin (sorry, stateroom) and a balcony and I have never really thought that there was much evidence of the 'class system' once on board. After all, even when in an inside cabin, we dress correctly (husband either kilt or DJ) and we do know which cutlery to use. Actually, that made me wonder how many of the people in the suites, today's Celebrities for example, know how to do that.

Wonder how other people read it. Maybe I am just a bit touchy this morning.

Sandie

I know just what you mean Sandie and share your dismay if anyone would be so crass as to make fair or foul of those who choose different categories of cabins (staterooms!) for whatever reason. It may be you're on a limited budget and it's all you can afford, or you may very well be able to afford an upgrade but choose not to so your money goes further, or you may be hoping to go on another cruise out of this year's budget!! Whatever - that's your business and your hard earned money which you are spending as you see fit.

I have no problem with those who have paid a lot more than me having up-market toiletries, free room service, their own dining room etc - they have paid for it in my book.

But once on board I don't expect to be 'looked down on' like steerage(although technically I suppose I am!!! :eek:) As you say some with money may not necessarily have much in the way of manners or class. I take everyone as I find them and trust people will treat me in the same respectful and friendly manner as I would when meeting someone new. What they do, how much money they have is irrelevant to me - it's what kind of person they are which counts in my book!

I must say on P&O everyone we met was very friendly indeed but there was an element of how many credits you'd amassed - i.e. how many P&O cruises you'd done and which tier of the Peninsular club you qualified for. The people on our table were very nice - and way up the Peninsular rankings (as they liked to tell us - we'd have been up there with them if our Thomson cruises counted!:eek: :D ) They were very ordinary though (and I don't say that in a disparaging way - I consider ourselves to be very ordinary too) but they didn't dress anything like as well for dinner as our experience of Thomson passengers! (Possibly with a few exceptions!) So it is was a bit of a laugh really. When we were asked how many cruises we'd done and we said - quite a lot on Thomson - it was a bit of a conversation stopper! DH and I had a wry smile sometimes but didn't rise to it.

I always think it says more about people who adopt that attitude than the people they are looking down on. I'm getting to see the places I want, in comfort and with good food (even if not the Grill) and seeing the same entertainment at a price which suits me. I could even feel superior that much of what they are experiencing I am too - perhaps at a fraction of the price!! :D So I just let it wash over me! ;) But I'll let you know what I make of Celebrity and see how overt any discrimination is - if at all.

Just plan your next one Sandie - who knows perhaps some of those in the swish cabins can't afford to go again!!!:D

We went on Azamara Quest last Easter and met couples who'd been on the likes of Regent and Seabourn, but had also been on Ocean Village (in the past) and Thomson. Our last cruise was on Thomson Dream (our first ever Thomson cruise) and we met a lovely couple who were really quite posh looking and sounding, and had chosen Thomson because their last cruise on P&O Oriana was full of "old people" - and he was 80!! In June we were on Queen Victoria and met some lovely couples. Two spring to mind particularly. One couple were very well spoken, were regulars on Azamara cruises, and were doing our 14 night cruise and the next one back to back. We think they were in a standard stateroom (but can't be sure). The husband of the other couple always dressed in "heavy metal" or comedy slogan type T-shirts, and we spotted him on the Grills terrace on the last day of the cruise. All were lovely people, but you couldn't tell what cabin (or stateroom!!) they're in, or what their cruise ship preferences were, by appearances, etc.

PS. We went to Benidorm for Christmas 2012 and loved it!

Edited by Wacktle

This thread reminds me of a story I heard about the well known actor James Garner when he was playing in a charity ProAm golf tournament and staying in the world famous Gleneagles (mega posh) hotel several years ago.

A development of upmarket timeshare type chalets was being built in the area - it was a really hot day and at lunchtime a small group of workers in "scruff order" working attire appeared in the hotel bar asking for a pint.

Well, horror of horrors, you can imagine the reaction - they weren't served of course, not even allowed to buy a carry out to take away.

About 20 minutes later JG appeared on the building site with a case of lager under one arm and a case of beer under the other.

"I can't stand those ****ing stuck up snobs in that bar, so I thought I'd come over and join you guys to get away from them."

Nice one Maverick !!!

:D

This thread reminds me of a story I heard about the well known actor James Garner when he was playing in a charity ProAm golf tournament and staying in the world famous Gleneagles (mega posh) hotel several years ago.

A development of upmarket timeshare type chalets was being built in the area - it was a really hot day and at lunchtime a small group of workers in "scruff order" working attire appeared in the hotel bar asking for a pint.

Well, horror of horrors, you can imagine the reaction - they weren't served of course, not even allowed to buy a carry out to take away.

About 20 minutes later JG appeared on the building site with a case of lager under one arm and a case of beer under the other.

"I can't stand those ****ing stuck up snobs in that bar, so I thought I'd come over and join you guys to get away from them."

Nice one Maverick !!!

:D

Wonderful!!!

I think that I am going to post on the Cunard site that we have travelled lots of Thomson (shock, horror) as well as Cunard and there are aspects of Thomson that are better than Cunard - that should ruffle a few fine feathers!

Sandie

Can anyone tell me if you are treated differently if you go in the cheapest cabins with p and o

no, not treated diffrently at all

but

they do enforce the dress codes in the main dining rooms and some bars in the evenings, dress codes are: smart casual most nights, formal gala night (maybe 2?) and a black n white ball

Can anyone tell me if you are treated differently if you go in the cheapest cabins with p and o

We weren't. We booked a Getaway last year but that didn't allow you to select your cabin. It was the basic grade inside. The price continued to fall and I suspect those booking latest got the cheapest priced cabins on the lowest decks as we were bumped up and ended up with a midships on a good deck.

However the standard inside cabins were the same and we had a good walk round the decks and I don't think it would have been a problem had we been given the cheapest category.

As for being treated differently. Not at all. We were on a dining table with a couple in a suite or whatever they call their better cabins. It seemed as though everyone was mixed in. I don't think they had a special dining room for their 'elite' passengers unlike Cunard and Celebrity.

There were a few receptions - perhaps just drinks and canapes, a special lunch or champagne reception (not entirely sure of the details as we weren't involved so didn't take much notice). Those were for people who were members of various levels of the Peninsular club (loyalty scheme). So OK they got something we didn't but it didn't affect us at all, happened somewhere away from where we were and it didn't make us feel any different. At least it was transparent - if you've done x cruises you qualify for a little perk.

The only thing is they do have a dress code which is enforced in the MDR. We don't mind that as we choose to eat in the dining room on Thomson anyway in the evening. There is of course the self service available for anyone who doesn't want to do the formal nights.

So I wouldn't hesitate to book again and have a basic inside. We felt very comfortable with everyone we met and at the price was an excellent deal.

Edited by kruzseeka

Before anybody says anything,,I love Benidorm, it's my second home! I go at least 3 times a year, which is clearly why I don't have the most expensive cabins on fancy ships;)

Ah lovely Benidorm- don't knock it till you have tried it!

If I hear another person compare it to Blackpool I shall scream- they are soooo different.

Can't wait to go back in September...

Flopsy

My son who used to work on Cruise Liners always used to say that he had heard a conversation about the type of luggage people took on a cruise.

Apparently the scruffier the luggage... The richer the people ! Makes you think doesn't it ! Naturally we have very 'scruffy' luggage. Only joking folks.