Read the rules for entering and leaving NZ and Australia

We just got back from our cruise, which was wonderful. Now I can't find the original thread for this discussion.

Before we left there was a question about landing in NZ and Australia, what were definite No Nos??? I now know that answer---- Fruits, dried or fresh (had to throw away boxes of little raisens), Nuts (tossed bag of trail mix), Snacks including pretzels, animal crackers and granola bars (tossed them out too.:() They were walking around with a dog that was checking for the not allowed to bring things and the dog sniffed our totes that had sandwiches for the plane ride, Sandwiches were already gone, but the smell was still there. Nothing bad happened, but we got stopped and had to have the bags checked. Those beagles have good noses and nothing gets by them. Just so you are aware. Get your ship snacks at a shop near the port before boarding. Take only what you expect to consume on the plane. They do follow the rules and we should too.

We just got back from our cruise, which was wonderful. Now I can't find the original thread for this discussion.

Before we left there was a question about landing in NZ and Australia, what were definite No Nos??? I now know that answer---- Fruits, dried or fresh (had to throw away boxes of little raisens), Nuts (tossed bag of trail mix), Snacks including pretzels, animal crackers and granola bars (tossed them out too.:() They were walking around with a dog that was checking for the not allowed to bring things and the dog sniffed our totes that had sandwiches for the plane ride, Sandwiches were already gone, but the smell was still there. Nothing bad happened, but we got stopped and had to have the bags checked. Those beagles have good noses and nothing gets by them. Just so you are aware. Get your ship snacks at a shop near the port before boarding. Take only what you expect to consume on the plane. They do follow the rules and we should too.

i think its pretty straight forward no food of any kind to be taken off the ship or plane unless you declare if you are not sure

last time I had small sealed packets of nuts and fruit that I took on with me originally, then took the ones I hadn't eaten back off the ship. I declared them and was allowed to keep them with no issues as they were sealed packets not loose food. My advice would be to declare and have nothing to worry about rather than wait for the dogs to sniff you out.

last time I had small sealed packets of nuts and fruit that I took on with me originally, then took the ones I hadn't eaten back off the ship. I declared them and was allowed to keep them with no issues as they were sealed packets not loose food. My advice would be to declare and have nothing to worry about rather than wait for the dogs to sniff you out.

The NZ 'eager' beagles wander around all areas of the Arrivals Halls BEFORE you get to Customs and then Agriculture, so there is a fair chance of being 'sniffed' at before you are greeted by a NZ Official.

The rule is DECLARE DECLARE DECLARE. If in doubt use one of the bins (and there are heaps lining the Arrivals Area) to dispose of food, nuts etc that have been opened. Sealed packets will be fine as long as they are sealed and declared.

Pat is right - the dogs can smell remnants for food which has been consumed. They are clever dogs!!! :rolleyes: So are the drug dogs too:eek:

Forgetting food is in a bag is NO excuse.

I remember my Mum being pulled aside back in the 1960's as she had a banana which one of us twins had refused to consume! Hey we were only 8!

We were pleased to learn that the line of people who had things to declare was much shorter and faster than the line of those who said they had nothing to declare. We were out the door while people who exited the plane with us were still far back in the 'nothing to declare' line.

It is amazing what food you can bring in if you do the right thing and declare everything.

We try not to bring things in but coming back from Hong Kong our daughter wanted to bring back some certain biscuits that you could only get in Asian countries. We declared them and we were ushered straight past other people and out the door really quickly.

Honesty is the best policy.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I would have declared them, but we were told to toss before getting to any check points. These were snacks that we had split between 3 people sorted into baggies. Just wanted people to know that you need to be sure and follow the rules. With 29 hours of flights I wanted to have enough snacks. I don't like airplane food.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I would have declared them, but we were told to toss before getting to any check points. These were snacks that we had split between 3 people sorted into baggies. Just wanted people to know that you need to be sure and follow the rules. With 29 hours of flights I wanted to have enough snacks. I don't like airplane food.

Didn't get you wrong Pat - you did the right thing. 29hrs flying - ouch!

My hubby travels frequently to Asia and brings back good all the time. Including dried fruits. So long as they are properly sealed you shouldn't have problems but meat even sealed will get confiscated. Declare and put all food items into one spot in your luggage so you can easily show customs and avoid fines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums