Freedom repositioning to Galveston

DuckFace9

It is certainly nice having more ships available in Texas. It would be even nicer if the itineraries would change some! I love sailing out Texas for convenience but would love seeing some of the beautiful ports that Florida cruising offers! Keeping fingers crossed ! :D

What ports? I keep seeing this comment, but aside from the St Thomas, St Marteen, San Jaun route, which has been overdone, what ports can you not get to From Galveston? The only ones are the southern Caribbean ports (Aruba, Curacao and the DR) I bet those would even be poissble if they put a couple of 8 or 9 day trips out of Galveston. How about a Grand Caymen Domincan Republic, Aruba, Curacao run? You could een throw Jamaica in there

Adding Freedom to the gulf coast market is going to be yet another large change in capacity. Counting week-long cruises in the traditional Caribbean season, you would have 3 ships out of Galveston, 2 ships out of Houston, and 3 ships out of New Orleans. That's way more capacity than what sailed out of the gulf coast just a year ago.

The ports in the Western Caribbean will be over capacity. We're starting to see itinerary flops for ships later this year to try to balance capacity. I know Carnival is trying to build a new terminal in Calica, but no one has heard anything about that lately.

Royal Caribbean is pulling out of New Orleans in summer 2015, so IF there was to be a third ship in Galveston it wouldn't increase capacity much if at all.

What ports? I keep seeing this comment, but aside from the St Thomas, St Marteen, San Jaun route, which has been overdone, what ports can you not get to From Galveston? The only ones are the southern Caribbean ports (Aruba, Curacao and the DR) I bet those would even be poissble if they put a couple of 8 or 9 day trips out of Galveston. How about a Grand Caymen Domincan Republic, Aruba, Curacao run? You could een throw Jamaica in there

YES, YES, and YES, to all of these, even the overdone St. Thomas/St. Marteen/San Juan. Anything more than what we have now!!!

It takes about 2 sea days to get from the gulf coast to either Roatan or Jamaica. Anywhere you go further out from there will require more time to get back.

A 14 day itinerary would probably look like:

Galveston/New Orleans

Sea Day

Sea Day

Montego Bay, Jamaica

Sea Day

Aruba

Curaco

Sea Day

Sea Day

Roatan

Belize

Cozumel

Sea Day

Galveston/New Orleans

You really couldn't really do an 8 or 9 day and get much farther than you do already. Just think of it this way: a ship from Galveston or New Orleans can do any itinerary that a ship out of Miami could do if you just add additional two sea days to get to/from the Strait of Florida. At best you would be looking at an 8 day that could get you to Key West, Grand Turk, and Amber Cove, DR (when it opens). You end up with cruises with more sea days than port days.

Is it too far from Galveston to go to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, St Thomas, St Lucia, St Kitts, Barbados, Aruba? I don't know.....just love those ports...Haven't done Aruba but have done the rest. It would be nice to have different choices. :p

Is it too far from Galveston to go to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, St Thomas, St Lucia, St Kitts, Barbados, Aruba? I don't know.....just love those ports...Haven't done Aruba but have done the rest. It would be nice to have different choices. :p

An Eastern route from Galveston or New Orleans would have the ports of a 5 or 6 day cruise out of Miami.

• 2 weeks later...

There is so much speculation about the Freedom! I recently asked John Heald about the Tandoori Grill on the lido. He graciously said that although he still can't speak of the upgrades, the grill does stay. I think most of the secrecy comes from this,There will be a new upgrade that no other ship has!!! How exciting!! We know through Carnival's own announcement that the Dr Seuss will be added. So I guess what I'm saying, is maybe the secrecy has nothing to do with ports. Or it might

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

All the Caribbean ports you mentioned would be heaven sent to cruisers that are LOCKED to Western cruises. I have been to all the ports you mentioned and would love to go back, but can't make myself go to Florida for a cruise when we have Houston and Galveston. The third terminal in Galveston will bring in another ship and maybe then 8-10 nighters to distance places?????

Makes sense that it would take the place of the Magic in early Feb. The Magic will be out of service starting Feb 2-8-15 for a 40 plus day dry dock then.

As of February 12, 2014, Go CCL is showing 2/08/15 thru 3/22/15 as the dates for the Carnival Magic's dry-dock on the ship's fact sheet.

Unless they are going to replace the Magic it seems a really stupid business decision to take the Magic out of service at the height of spring break season in Texas when they can get higher prices.

This! Or at least a new port for a 4-nighter. Not that I don't love Cozumel ... but would love a different option, because our budget loves a shorter cruise, too.

I'd also hope it would be in addition to, not in replace of, because cruising out of Galveston looks to be a bit more pricy than most other ports, and this could help us be able to go more.

Random thought: I wonder how many of those free cruise offers included trips out of Galveston? I'd be curious to know ... maybe that's why we won't get one ..... :(

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

We got one and cruise mostly out of Galveston. We took a 7 day on the Magic!

• 1 month later...

I just asked JH on his FB page about this and his response was:

I really cant say at the moment but by mid May all your questions will be answered Heather. Please bare with me until then and I wish you the most wonderful cruise. cheers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

According to CCL's website they are still booking Freedom cruises from Port Everglades through April 2015.

We're doing B2B on her the last 2 weeks of January 2015.

We are booked on the Freedom April 26th out of FLL, I hope it doesn't reposition. Guess I better wait to book flights!

My Splendor cruise was available for booking until the morning when I got the "Sorry your cruise has been cancelled email". If what has been written is true, I'm expecting that same email tomorrow.

Hi Heather, we are booked on the Freedom the week after you (April 26, 2015). When you Splendor cruise was canceled, did they compensate you in any way? I'm freaking out a little because I am taking my Mom and we have been planning this for a long time.

Thanks!

Edited by thomfam

Hi Heather, we are booked on the Freedom the week after you (April 26, 2015). When you Splendor cruise was canceled, did they compensate you in any way? I'm freaking out a little because I am taking my Mom and we have been planning this for a long time.

Thanks!

Hi ThomFam, They stated and did honor our rate we had already booked on the Splendor in the same catagory room. The only catch was it had to be on another 8 day cruise, though I had read others were able to rebook on 7 day cruises. We also got $100 OBC ($50 each).

So cruise price wise we made out pretty good between the OBC they offered and the rate difference we saved almost $1000 had we just originally booked on the Freedom, and fortunately it was for the same exact dates. Though we would now have to fly in, but we were getting much better ports. I do hope if the Freedom does in fact leave that the Conquest will replace her (another rumor I read), and the dates and ports remain the same.

I just asked JH on his FB page about this and his response was:

I really cant say at the moment but by mid May all your questions will be answered Heather. Please bare with me until then and I wish you the most wonderful cruise. cheers

I, too am freaking out. We are also booked on the April 26 cruise. This will be our FIRST cruise, and was super excited about Camp Ocean, 2.0 upgrades and Dr. Seuss being on the Freedom. The date, ship, ports and departure port are perfect for us. If this cruise changes, I feel like I'll have to start all this research again from the beginning :(

I'm feeling like it's going to be a long, long wait until mid-May until we know for sure.

We're booked 7 feb andf are hlding off on flights and motels because of the unknown. A bit irritating to say the least since I'm sure Carnival alredy knows what they are doing with the Freedom. Not very good customer service IMHO.

John Heald posted this morning on his facebook that he would have "more very interesting news" about the Freedom tomorrow morning about 9EST. The Magic is going into drydock during spring break here in Galveston so the Freedom could just be coming to fill in during that time, I dunno??? Just thinking out loud!

John Heald posted this morning on his facebook that he would have "more very interesting news" about the Freedom tomorrow morning about 9EST. The Magic is going into drydock during spring break here in Galveston so the Freedom could just be coming to fill in during that time, I dunno??? Just thinking out loud!

That would be a first I think. It's expensive to just move ships around temporarily.

I, too am freaking out. We are also booked on the April 26 cruise. This will be our FIRST cruise, and was super excited about Camp Ocean, 2.0 upgrades and Dr. Seuss being on the Freedom. The date, ship, ports and departure port are perfect for us. If this cruise changes, I feel like I'll have to start all this research again from the beginning :(

Welcome Pinkmagnolia! If everything works out and this cruise is still on, you should chime in on the Roll Call I set up. So far, I'm the only one on there and it's quite lonely! :)

I'll be praying for good news tomorrow morning!

I just saw this in a recent article:

"Carnival Freedom will resume its six- to eight-day Caribbean schedule from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., as well as introduce two new five-day Caribbean options."

Possibly the new itineraries will be the announcement?

Well, I didn't see it posted here, but I'm also kinda lazy and didn't read back too far. HOWEVER, port of Galveston has posted on FB that they have an announcement tomorrow as well. So, with the "rumors from PVP's" and now both JH & POG having announcements tomorrow, it's looking quite likely. At least IMO it is.