Marseille

Damo74

Hi folks, first post here and about to go on our first cruise.

We are visiting Marseille in June and this is the only one of our stops that I'm unsure about.

Is there much to do around the port area or are we better visiting the city?

Sorry if this is a common question!

We are visiting Marseille in June and this is the only one of our stops that I'm unsure about.

This is what you can do if you just want to stick to the port area

If you want to venture further afield Aix-en-Provence is lovely but I'd been there before. All the best, Tony

It would be a shame to miss out on Provence. Les Baux, Arles, Aix, etc. All are much better options than Marseille.

If you like to stay in Marseille there is Vieux Port, which means Old Port. This area has a lot of sailing boats and cafés to sit there and enjoy the place. Also you can take a boat to the islands and/ or take the bus or little train uphill to Notre Dame de la Garde. This is the seafarers church with wonderful views .

Around the cruise port area is nothing if your ship docks in the main port. You can take the shuttlebus which brings you to the old port area. Once we had luck and docked just in front of the old port , but this was the small Oceania Nautica.

Just there next to the old port at the entrance you will find the very new MuCem, which has a wonderful architecture and you can take the elevator inside to use a small modern bridge over a part of the port up to the old quarter called "panier"!

I have been many times in France and I like Marseille:)

Only the small luxury cruise ships dock at the J4 (near the MuCEM and Old Port) - the others all dock a bit further out of town. The city laid on a free shuttle bus to the Old Port last year and I understand it's still in operation.

The north side of the Old Port (the side nearest the cruise terminals) offers lots of restaurants and bars. The MuCEM itself is a spectacular building in a dramatic location, linked to the ancient Fort Saint Jean by an overhead walkway. You can wander around the outside of both the MuCEM and the Fort (where there is a Mediterranean garden) and many locals go there for an afternoon stroll. It's free if you don't enter the museum.

Next to the MuCEM are several other striking new buildings which went up in 2013 when Marseille-Provence was European City of Culture. The Cathedral is not of huge interest, but its vaults are being converted into shops (opening May-June). If you are into shopping, there's a huge new mall, Les Terrasses du Port, fairly near the cruise terminal opening in May.

The Old Town ("Panier") is fascinating to walk round (NB it's hilly). Or you can take the tourist train, tho' IMO that's much less fun. Another tourist train goes up to the iconic Notre Dame de la Garde, on the other side of the port, which is a beautiful building and has remarkable 360 degree views.

Is that enough to be going on with? Much more about Marseille and what to see: http://www.marvellous-provence.com/marseille/what-to-see

I wouldn't go to the other cities mentioned on a day trip. You'd spend too much time (not to mention expense) getting there and back.

• 3 weeks later...
If you like to stay in Marseille there is Vieux Port, which means Old Port. This area has a lot of sailing boats and cafés to sit there and enjoy the place. Also you can take a boat to the islands and/ or take the bus or little train uphill to Notre Dame de la Garde. This is the seafarers church with wonderful views .

Around the cruise port area is nothing if your ship docks in the main port. You can take the shuttlebus which brings you to the old port area. Once we had luck and docked just in front of the old port , but this was the small Oceania Nautica.

Just there next to the old port at the entrance you will find the very new MuCem, which has a wonderful architecture and you can take the elevator inside to use a small modern bridge over a part of the port up to the old quarter called "panier"!

I have been many times in France and I like Marseille:)

Having lived in Marseille for a year, I became very fond of this city.

Take bus 83 from the Old Port which travels along the Corniche Kennedy which has beautiful views. Go as far as the beach with the Statue of David. Get off the bus and have a drink at the beach bar. On the way back you may want to get off at "Vallon des Auffes" and walk down the steps to the little inlet for small boats. These are the same steps that show up in the opening scene in the "French Connection". Have a pizza at the pizzeria or splurge at the Chez Fon Fon with bouillabaisse. Marseille is a vibrant and fascinating city in Provence. If I were to spend any time traveling pout of the city, it would be to Cassis.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Marseille-06-28-2013.pdf

Having lived in Marseille for a year, I became very fond of this city.

Take bus 83 from the Old Port which travels along the Corniche Kennedy which has beautiful views. Go as far as the beach with the Statue of David. Get off the bus and have a drink at the beach bar. On the way back you may want to get off at "Vallon des Auffes" and walk down the steps to the little inlet for small boats. These are the same steps that show up in the opening scene in the "French Connection". Have a pizza at the pizzeria or splurge at the Chez Fon Fon with bouillabaisse. Marseille is a vibrant and fascinating city in Provence. If I were to spend any time traveling pout of the city, it would be to Cassis.

I'll second that recommendation. Public transportation to the Vieux Port (by city bus or port shuttle), walk around the Vieux Port and the small streets nearby. Get a public bus (or tourist train) up to the Cathedral (interesting church and a nice view from up there). Have some bouillabaisse at a local restaurant (can't recommend one, didn't write down the name). And go back to your ship happy.

The part of Marseilles tourists go to is really lovely and if it's your first time there, stay there and enjoy it. You can rush off to other lovely cities in Provence some other time.

• 5 weeks later...

Agree. There is more than enough to see and do in Marseille which has been transformed beyond recognition in the last couple of years (I live there and I've seen it). There seems to me little point to going to all the stress of traveling out to another town or city when your time is so limited on a day stop, when there's so much to discover right here.

The port area is pretty but there's not that much to do there. I did this last October. Le Petit Train up to the basilica costs €8 pp. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]aNsFktA9o58[/YOUTUBE]

Hi Tony, remember me? We met a few years ago on a cruise and you've shared several of your videos with me privately….

We're going on the Noordam on Jul 1 for 22 days from Barcelona-Venice, so I'm perusing this board to learn about the French ports we're going to. I loved your Marseille video! It gave me such a sense of what it was like there… We are weighing up spending the time in Marseille or going to Aix en Provence to visit there.

Anyway, this was wonderful! I'm a photographer but always remember you were the video man and I really appreciate being able to see places through your videos. it gives me such a head start on thinking about what to do!

Best wishes!

We took the shuttle bus into old town and with our walking map as our guide had a lovely time.

After three very full days of crazy sightseeing in Italy we wanted to relax and not be worried about transportation out of the city and felt that Marseille had enough to show us.

It was worth the visit

What is the best way to get to Cassis from the port of Marseilles without a tour or a rental car?

Thanks!

The Cassis Train Station in Cassis France is a tiny station located 3 or 4 kilometers from the Port of Cassis. Visitors arriving by train can either take a taxi into town or enjoy a long but pleasant walk along a tree-line pathway that runs through orchards and vineyards.

Trains depart for Cassis France from Marseille( Gare Saint-Charles) every 30 minutes or so.

There is a public bus from Cassis station into Center. Marcouline bus,to city centre 7j/7 - 365 days a year

Taxi is easier,however. The walk is long. Save your walking for the walk to the nearest calanque. There is a petit train to the calangue as well.

Cassis is one of my favorite places in the world. Have rented apartments there several times. For many years Americans didn't know about it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 4 weeks later...

We were just there last week on Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas so here’s what happened.

Our plan was to get off the ship, get to St Charles station and take the bus to Aix. The biggest worry I had before the trip was where will the ship dock and how will I get to the station. I knew all the walking and metro routes only I didn’t know the starting point until I got off the boat.

So here’s the deal. The ship docked at the farthest possible place relative to Vieux Port. It really was in the middle of nowhere and not a walk you would want to make.

Once off the ship there was a queue of taxis (although not too many of them) but at no time did I ever see an alternative like a bus offered by the Port or even one from RCI. (On a related point there was such a bus offer by the port in Civi but that’s another complaint in another post.)

The cab cost about 25 Euros and most of that cost related to driving through the port! I suspect it would have taken 30-60 minutes to walk to the exit of the port and a waste of time. I think it would be a 5 minute ride from Vieux Port.

Once at St Charles, the bus to Aix was easy to find. You pay the driver on the bus about 5-6 Euros and he will make change. The ride took about 30 minutes. We were dropped off on a street as opposed to the bus station so it took a minute to figure out where I was. The bus driver will yell terminus so don’t worry about when to get off.

Later, we took the bus from the Aix bus station for the return to Marseilles. No issues. By now you’re a pro. By the way, the bathroom in the bus station was pretty clean and I imagine better than the pay toilet on the street.

At St Charles again, we waited about 15 minutes just to get a taxi and we were the first people in line. Perhaps that’s just back luck and no cabs wait there. Meanwhile the driver elected to warn us that there might be demonstrations around town and to expect delays as detours were inevitable. Another expensive taxi ride back to the farthest possible place at the port cost 25 Euros.

• 2 weeks later...
Where can I get a real ( not tourist ) Bouillabaisse near the old port or old town?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Chez Michael

6 Rue des Catalans

Old port will be for tourists. Be prepared it's expensive. I've eaten here on recommendation of locals.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app