Newest chops menu

With the increased cover charge and decreased offerings, wouldn't you be better off eating in the MDR and paying the $15 upcharge (or whatever the charge is now) for the Chops filet?

We have already decided that's exactly what we're going to do on Navigator in 3 weeks. Instead of $35 for Chops when it doesn't have anything we want other than the steak, we can pay $15 one night for the steak in the MDR and use the other $20 for an extra night at Giovanni's, which is my DW's favorite.

By the way, rather than just fretting about if the new menu has been rolled out to other ships, why not try to nip this in the bud while it's still in the trial phase on a single ship? Why not contact Royal and inundate them with requests to keep certain menu items or not change the menu at all? Personally I think a steakhouse without a baked potato and without creme brulee is an abomination to all that's holy. I plan on writing Royal and letting them know.

I sent Goldstein my two cents on this. What sort of "Steak House" doesn't have a baked potato on the menu?:eek:

I agree that it makes no sense to not have a baked potato option. I have not eaten in Chops yet but have been to the steakhouse on other lines. Replacing a baked potato with tater tots and increasing the price is absurd. What were they thinking? Other than the baked potato, I like the options. Since I've not been to Chops before, I have a question. Can I order a filet mignon as well as shrimp/seafood other than the upsell for lobster?

• 4 weeks later...

Royal Caribbean obviously listened to the complaints about the revised Chop's menu on the Navigator of the Seas.

I'm happy to report that this info was included in a recent Cruise Critic member review that was on the ill fated Navigator of the Seas oil spill cruise:

"When we went to Chops last week, they had the “NEW NEW” menu. The menu has changed twice now since the revitalization. Price was still $35 each, but there were two great choices of 12-ounce steaks and the baked potato was back (but the tater tot casserole was still a choice as well). We did have an appetizer that was really great, but the name isn’t descriptive of what it is—Grilled Black Pepper Bacon. It was a piece of Berkshire pork, slow cooked, with a sweet/spicy glaze. It melted in your mouth."

As Arnold "The Terminator" Schwarzenegger once said: I'll be Back!

Royal Caribbean obviously listened to the complaints about the revised Chop's menu on the Navigator of the Seas.

I'm happy to report that this info was included in a recent Cruise Critic member review that was on the ill fated Navigator of the Seas oil spill cruise:

"When we went to Chops last week, they had the “NEW NEW” menu. The menu has changed twice now since the revitalization. Price was still $35 each, but there were two great choices of 12-ounce steaks and the baked potato was back (but the tater tot casserole was still a choice as well). We did have an appetizer that was really great, but the name isn’t descriptive of what it is—Grilled Black Pepper Bacon. It was a piece of Berkshire pork, slow cooked, with a sweet/spicy glaze. It melted in your mouth."

As Arnold "The Terminator" Schwarzenegger once said: I'll be Back!

Glad to hear that what I was told a few weeks back has actually happened! :)

Well, I just got a phone call from a woman in the "Executive Office" about my letter to Mr. Goldstein.

I'm actually happy to report it sounds like they ARE listening to the feedback and criticism they've been getting. Here's what I was told:

• The baked potato is being added back to the menu
  • The non-upcharged steak options are being expanded from 2 to 4. There will now be two filet options - 6 & 9 oz, and two sirloin options - 6 & 12 oz.
  • The sauces which were no longer available are being made available again
  • Red velvet cake is definitely on the menu

I expressed my thanks that our concerns were being listened to and addressed. I said I'd still like to see the steaks include more than just filet & sirloin, as I had said in my letter. Also that I'd like to see the popular appetizers such as crab cakes being made available again. She said she couldn't promise anything, but they would continue to listen to customer input on the issue.

All in all, more changes than I really expected to hear!

Hopefully the old menu will still be around in Oct when I sail on the Freedom. The new one sounds like a limited Outback menu, and I surely don't want to pay an upcharge on top of the upcharge cover charge for a steak that doesn't deserve it. Looks like the MDR will get a lot of business

Best thing you can do is skip Chops. With the extra dinning fee we were given the option to pay an extra for prime meat. I sent my prime strip back as I could not cut it. We had the ultimate drink package that we could not use in Chops. Best part after 2 bottles of wine and my meal removed my check was $178 plus the $40 up charge. No way that was even close to being a nice night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone have a picture of the New, New menu??

You can go to rccl site and if you look at the quantum dining info it has the menu listed there. Its basically the nos menu that has been posted with a couple of additions

Yes. The day before you go to dine go to the restaurant and speak to the chef. Tell him what your needs are and ask for his suggestions on what you can eat. If you are paying for the privilege you should be served food of a comparable standard. I have had this situation in Portofino's previously.

Hi,

On our recent Jewel cruise they had cards available for special dietary needs.

one could fill the card out and the card instructed to review the needs with a manager. I never used it my need is food on my plate that I did not cook , shop or clean up for-W-

Best thing you can do is skip Chops. With the extra dinning fee we were given the option to pay an extra for prime meat. I sent my prime strip back as I could not cut it. We had the ultimate drink package that we could not use in Chops. Best part after 2 bottles of wine and my meal removed my check was $178 plus the $40 up charge. No way that was even close to being a nice night.

Yikes, that's ridiculously pricy, unless you were ordering EXPENSIVE wines! And, your ultimate drink package doesn't cover wines by the glass in Chops?!?! :confused:

just got off Oasis and we ate at Chops twice. Old menu and both times had a wonderful experience. The waiter told me that he thought they will get new menu in June. But the Chops manager said if they get enough complaints about the new menu maybe they will be able to keep the old one.

See my review of Oasis eastern

Oasis 3/22-29/14 so so writing......really pretty girls

Caneguy

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the Navigator for the entire month of March. We have a tradition of eating at Chops the first night to ease into the vacation vibe. We weren't too concerned about the new menu since we assumed passenger favorites would still be kept.

The first sign of trouble was the bread tray. The sourdough loaf with butter and cheese spread was replaced with pretzel rolls. My husband went to the WJ several times to get rolls to eat before our waitress made the trip for him. I did with out bread. As we left Chops, most tables had not touched the pretzel rolls.

As we read the menu, we were disappointed but were willing to stay because of our diamond+ coupon. No crab cakes as an appetizer and the replacements did not appeal to us. My husband tried the bacon dish but it was too fatty for his taste. I settled for the onion soup which was okay but not as good as the onion soup served in the MDR. The cheese was a bit to stringy for formal dinning.

On that first night, there were only 4 beef dishesonthe menu: Kobe beef burgers, 8 oz fillet, 8 oz sirloin and beef ribs. The remaining 8 choices were fish, chicken and scallops.

The sides were not changed for the best. The passengers' favorite, roasted potatoes with Parmesan and ham had been replaced with truffled fries, Gruyere tater tots or mashed potatoes. I tried the fries without truffle oil but the MDR steak fries were better. My husband had the tater tots. Sonic's tasted better. The cream spinach and asparagus did not appeal to us.

My husband went into WJ to get the sauces. He brought back a bowl of Bearnaise sauce and my A1. The manager was not happy but couldn't stop him from bringing back more bread and sauce. His steak was cooked to medium well but the chef could not prepare a medium steak on the first try. I do not understand how a steak can be black on the exterior and raw in the middle.

At least we could still get the mud pie or red velvet cake but the other choices would not be found in a Nashville steak house especially the coconut ice cream.

We disliked the new menu so much the hotel director removed the charge the next day after we listed why we disliked the new menu on an item by time basis during lunch . He removed the charges that day and also treated us to dinner at Sabors. We enjoyed the food so much we ate at Sabors every Sunday we were onboard.

We were not the only dinners complaining about the new Chops menu. By end of the month, the menu had been changed. Some of the sauces had been restored, baked potato was added to the sides and 3 more steak choices were added to the menu but the porterhouse and Kansas strip were still extra. The hotel director forwarded our complaints and some were addressed but not all.

Now when hubby and I try a new menu or dish, we will send our comments to the hotel director either in writing or in person if we see him at a C&A event.

Laura & John

Cruising Bears

Cruising Bears, Thanks for making the effort to communicate to Royal they have made some very unpopular changes. Hopefully they will listen, otherwise the only recourse is for cruisers to vote with their feet. We all understand Royal is a for profit company and will make every effort to maximize profits. However, removing popular menu items and replacing them with less desirable options is a dangerous gamble for a food service establishment. While the major draw was their steaks, many people went for the sides as well. They have reduced the size of the large filet and removed the most popular sides. The question is, why go to Chops if the new menu is launched fleet wide.

I was on the Navigator earlier this month. Chops had rolled out the revised new menu, but it seemed they were really struggling to get customers in there. We declined several times before they gave up on us.

In addition to the new (not improved) menu, I didn't care for the ambience in Chops without table cloths. For bare tables, you need a higher quality of table than the ones in Chops that were formerly covered up. I thought it looked cheap and tacky in there now. We didn't see the need to spend $35 to eat dinner at a scratched laminate table. Fine dining?

Edited by Cindy

I was on the Navigator earlier this month. Chops had rolled out the revised new menu, but it seemed they were really struggling to get customers in there. We declined several times before they gave up on us.

In addition to the new (not improved) menu, I didn't care for the ambience in Chops without table cloths. For bare tables, you need a higher quality of table than the ones in Chops that were formerly covered up. I thought it looked cheap and tacky in there now. We didn't see the need to spend $35 to eat dinner at a scratched laminate table. Fine dining?

I agree! First impression was not good without the tablecloths. It didn't bother me in Giovanni's. The tables were nicer and it was an Italian restaurant - not what was supposed to be an upscale one. Our steaks were fine but I was disappointed in the bread and the sides. The mashed potatoes were actually really good but I missed the parmesan ones. They were my favorite. We did have wine there with our drink package but had to pay extra. There was no wine on the list by the glass that was $12 or less. I did comment on the survey tat we DID NOT like the new menu and also that they needed to bring back the tablecloths.

I doubt we will return to Chops in June or in August unless they change the menu.