Midnight Buffet

LMaxwell

Do you remember what year they stopped doing this? Last time I was on rccl was 2010 and I thought they still had it. Do they do anything else instead?

Some ships have a late night buffet out on the pool deck with an ice carving or two.

Gone and not coming back? Why not?

Waste was the reason I heard most often.

Guest maddycat

Those pictures really brought back memories. We used to go the the midnight buffets mostly to view the displays. My husband would sample some of the treats. I would have a cup of tea. There was no way that I could eat at that hour.

Besides the waste, it was an awful lot of extra work for the staff.

The last two cruises that I have been on (Majesty of the Seas over Thanksgiving Weekend and Jewel in July 2013) both had a version of midnight buffet.

Majesty had an 11:30pm pool deck party with finger food and desserts, complete with band and dancing.....great time had by all -- it was on Saturday nite and great fun.

On Jewel we had a late night event, on the pool deck -- great fun as well. Finger food and desserts.

Personally, I don't need a buffet that late at night, where I need to carry a plate and use forks/knives. Simple is better -- finger food and desserts, are fine for me and MUCH less waste.

We have had a midnight buffet the last 2 RCCL cruises we took. (April 2011 Serenade and April 2013 Grandeur). The Grandeur had the "White Party" (instead of the "Caribbean Buffet" like the Serenade called it) at midnight one night, but there was a buffet with tons of fruit carvings and a pig roast as well as the party.

We have had a midnight buffet the last 2 RCCL cruises we took. (April 2011 Serenade and April 2013 Grandeur). The Grandeur had the "White Party" (instead of the "Caribbean Buffet" like the Serenade called it) at midnight one night, but there was a buffet with tons of fruit carvings and a pig roast as well as the party.

Since SOME of US seem to remember 'midnight buffets', what exactly are those cruisers who say 'The midnight buffet has disappeared' talking about.

Perhaps it is selective, depending upon which ship you are on -- or which head chef is on board -- or something else.

Clearly some of us have had midnight buffets on recent cruises. I know I have, just like you.

I think some are getting the late night pool party buffets confused with the midnight buffet of days gone by :)

Wasnt the midnight buffet in the MDR back then?

I only know that it was held at midnight and it was a buffet. If they had something different years ago, good for them, but it was what I'd call a "midnight buffet"... Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I only know that it was held at midnight and it was a buffet. If they had something different years ago, good for them, but it was what I'd call a "midnight buffet"... Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On my W. Caribbean Radiance cruise in 2011, they also had a late night buffet out on the pool deck. It was mostly carved fruits and breads with a few little finger foods included.

I dont think it even came close to what use to be the traditional midnight buffet though of days gone by. Thats what I was trying to say :)

cruisepictures169.jpg

cruisepictures172.jpg

cruisepictures168.jpg

cruisepictures171.jpg

I think some are getting the late night pool party buffets confused with the midnight buffet of days gone by :)

Wasnt the midnight buffet in the MDR back then?

In 2004 on Navigator their was a ridiculously lavish midnight buffet, on the pool deck....that was our first cruise.

On Liberty, we had a midnight buffet. If I remember it was in the Promenade, with music and dancing and carrying on -- lots of fun.

Where it is CAN change, what it is ---- if it is at midnight, with food....it is a midnight buffet.

Have some ships moved them....maybe -- but they still happen. People, food, booze (register ringing), dancing, need for more booze, food etc.....seems like the ship isn't likely to TOTALLY stop these...just change them a bit.

And as I understand it, photo ops were allowed for 30 minutes or so before they allowed people to dig in?

That's right. Everyone who wanted to take photos on the night of the grand buffet, was allowed in at 11:30 to walk around in a line and take photos.

We always went saying we were only going to look every night and always ended up eating something.

On our honeymoon in 1997 on Majesty of the Seas they had the midnight buffets. Hubby and I always looked forwarded to them. Then in 2007 we went a Carnivale Cruise and thought they would be similar with the midnight buffets but nope no midnight buffet at all. Just read recently that RC doesn't do them anymore. Too bad

The occasional deck party with food is in no way comparable to the old midnight buffets. They used to be major attractions and yes, for 30 minutes or more you could only look; the line snaked through the MDR. Then they kicked every one out, closed the MDR doors and had to set up for serving. It wasn't just fruit, dessert, and bread, they used to have carved meats and lavish shrimp displays. I remember they'd always have the ice carving at the pool during the day that was the center piece for the buffet, and they happened on more than one evening. With more food and entertainment options now I understand why they don't do it, but it was certainly nice and pretty unique to cruising.

That is one of the "cutbacks" we really miss. We would have a light late lunch and skip dinner and then go to the gala/midnight buffet and have dinner. The food, ice carvings and displays were truly something to see.

IMHO,keep forget the mints, chocolates, towels, pens, and all the other things "gone" from the past, but bring back that midnight buffet :-).

Edited by seb
spelling

The occasional deck party with food is in no way comparable to the old midnight buffets. They used to be major attractions and yes, for 30 minutes or more you could only look; the line snaked through the MDR. Then they kicked every one out, closed the MDR doors and had to set up for serving. It wasn't just fruit, dessert, and bread, they used to have carved meats and lavish shrimp displays. I remember they'd always have the ice carving at the pool during the day that was the center piece for the buffet, and they happened on more than one evening. With more food and entertainment options now I understand why they don't do it, but it was certainly nice and pretty unique to cruising.

This thread brought back a lot of good memories! Thanks! That's one thing I really do miss!

Sent from my iPad using Forums