Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)

POA1

Perhaps we should submit our Posthumous Wine List? It served us well; may it rest in peace.

It's post in post #56. We had a request for it from travelinjones pretty early on in the cruise. You were probably in the lab, tending to your experiments.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41888415

I meant submit the list to HAL so we could school them on what wine snobs, er, I mean, connoisseurs carry on. :D

I thought that they were going to record our wines when we got on, based on some early reports. We even had handy dandy printed copies for Holland America's convenience. I was surprised when they didn't. - Although it looks like they've started logging the carry on bottles now.

What the heck am I telling you for? You were there for crying out loud.

While it would be nice to see more variety, I get the fact that they have limited space and a wide variety of tastes, preferences, and budgets to meet.

I'll probably carry on wine as long as they'll let me. It's fun - and educational.

Edited by POA1

My take on the banning of hard liquor and the corkage on wine.

HAL is trying hard to keep the price for the cabins competitive. In doing that, they have to find other ways to bring in profits. Hence the corkage fee, ban on hard liquor, charges for sodas, etc.

I think it is kind of like the checked baggage fee most airlines now charge. You need to factor that cost into the total ticket price.

Greg

Great point.

We always factor in beverage costs on a cruise, meal & lodging costs on land, air & ground transportation, tips, etc.

It's just like any vacation. You need to know what you're getting into and what you are going to spend.

merlot-notes.jpg

A research request from mame42 in her thread "Untried Wines." She wanted to know about the Merlots. Here's what we have in the lab notes:

These are the notes from people who get paid to know about wine. (As opposed to us. We know about quite a bit about wine, but our research objectives were a bot broader in scope.) Please note that the ratings and notes are based on the most recent vintages for which we have data. In some cases, the ship may be carrying a vintage too new to have been rated yet. It's doubtful that there are a whole lot of older vintages in the ships' wine cellars. If you see a range of ratings - mid 80s, for example - it's designed to give you an idea of the representative rating you could expect, taking into account the last few bottlings. There aren't any wines in this post that had wild fluctuations in ratings. They're all fairly high volume, large production wines with consistent quality.

The Merlots in the Beverage Packages:

Veramonte Merlot - Mid 80s - Ripe, with mocha and green bean notes to the dark fruit flavors. Crisp finish.

Errazuriz Merlot - Low to Mid 80s - Slightly trim, with cherry, cherry pit and vanilla notes.

Miner Merlot - Mid 80s - Offers good structure and an elegant backbone. The aromas of black cherry and tomato leaf open to flavors of currant, herb and cedar.

Blackstone Merlot - Low to Mid 80s - Modest in scale, with notes of raspberry, charred wood and herb. Tannic finish.

The Merlots by the Glass:

Veramonte Merlot - Mid 80s - Ripe, with mocha and green bean notes to the dark fruit flavors. Crisp finish.

Errazuriz Merlot - Low to Mid 80s - Slightly trim, with cherry, cherry pit and vanilla notes.

Miner Merlot - Mid 80s - Offers good structure and an elegant backbone. The aromas of black cherry and tomato leaf open to flavors of currant, herb and cedar.

Blackstone Merlot - Low to Mid 80s - Modest in scale, with notes of raspberry, charred wood and herb. Tannic finish.

Robert Mondavi Merlot - Mid to Upper 80s - A soft yet lively straightforward red, with black cherry and tomato leaf aromas and focused currant and spiced cedar flavors.

Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot - High 80s Supple and expressive, with green olive, black olive and licorice nuances to the dark berry flavors. Finishes on a smoky note.

House Merlot (Santa Carolina) - Low to Mid 80s - Medium-bodied, with green bean notes to the plum and red berry flavors. Short finish.

Chateau Ste. Michelle Canoe Ridge Merlot (Pinnacle Grill) - High 80s to Low 90s - Dark and spicy, with green and black olive overtones to the dark berry flavors, finishing with a hard edge.

Northstar Merlot (Pinnacle Grill) - Low 90s - Firm and peppery, with a strong black pepper note running through the dark berry and currant fruit, all of it persisting in a harmonious package and scratchy tannins that need time to soften.

Feudi del Pisciotto Merlot "Valentino" (Pinnacle Grill - Le Cirque Dinner) - High 80s - This ripe, toasty red is framed by layers of baking spices, oak and mesquite notes to the dark plum and black cherry fruit character. The finish lingers with a floral-tinged aftertaste of spice and fruit.

The Merlots by the Bottle:

Columbia Creast Grand Estates Merlot - High 80s Supple and expressive, with green olive, black olive and licorice nuances to the dark berry flavors. Finishes on a smoky note.

Beringer Stone Cellars Merlot - Low 80s - Offers straightforward cherry and herb flavors, with dry and chewy tannins.

Northstar Merlot - Low 90s - Firm and peppery, with a strong black pepper note running through the dark berry and currant fruit, all of it persisting in a harmonious package and scratchy tannins that need time to soften.

Chateau Ste. Michelle Canoe Ridge Merlot (Pinnacle Grill) - High 80s to Low 90s - Dark and spicy, with green and black olive overtones to the dark berry flavors, finishing with a hard edge.

Nelms Road Merlot (Pinnacle Grill) - High 80s - Firm in texture, this is deftly balanced to let its ripe black cherry and herb flavors push through the layer of tannins and linger nicely.

Leonetti Merlot (Pinnacle Grill) - Low 90s - Firm in texture, showing pepper and licorice flavors at first, followed by plum and currant fruit that fills in the taut frame. Needs time to soften and unfurl.

I left off any of the blends that contain Merlot, such as Bordeaux, Vin de Pays (Languedoc, Loire, etc.) and Meritages. Hope this helps.

If you need a recent copy of the wine list, you'll find the Main Dining Room and Pinnacle lists here:

Edited by POA1

=====SNIP======

They're all fairly high volume, large production wines with consistent quality.

Correction - Some of the Merlots served in the Pinnacle Grill are produced in pretty small quantities, less than 1,000 cases. They are, however, pretty consistent in their ratings over the years.

Thanks for the update. I still remember your pioneering work from early February. You were the first person who posted about an actual experience with the new wine carry on policy when you boarded the Oosterdam in Sydney.

We salute your groundbreaking work, blazing a trail for all who would follow in your footsteps. Your name is on a plaque here at the Institute of Cheer. :cool:

Thank you. It is truly humbling to be recognized by one's peers during one's lifetime.

But as amazing as this recognition is, the work is still the greatest source of joy in my life. Just last night in the Ocean Bar, we were approached by the new server on the block. No sooner had he kindly asked what we might like, than he was surrounded by not one, not two, but three of his seniors, all intoning as one, “The usual, one bloody Mary and one Bombay Sapphire gimlet, up.” I was moved to tears, as I am by this lovely recognition. Again, my deepest thanks.:D

Thank you. It is truly humbling to be recognized by one's peers during one's lifetime.

But as amazing as this recognition is, the work is still the greatest source of joy in my life. Just last night in the Ocean Bar, we were approached by the new server on the block. No sooner had he kindly asked what we might like, than he was surrounded by not one, not two, but three of his seniors, all intoning as one, “The usual, one bloody Mary and one Bombay Sapphire gimlet, up.” I was moved to tears, as I am by this lovely recognition. Again, my deepest thanks.:D

Wow! It sounds like you have excellent research assistants in the Ocean Bar. :)

What the heck am I telling you for? You were there for crying out loud.

Ah, but there are many young grasshoppers here who have benefited from your explanation.

P.S. I still think the SBP sucks unless it's free. Just felt that needed reiterating.

I have a somewhat different opinion on the Signature Beverage Package.

I don't think DW & I would pay for it again for two reasons. The first is that we always bring a fair amount of wine on board to take to dinner. That's pulling at least two or three drinks "off the table" for us because we will be having our own wine and not using the SBP. The second reason is that my regular go-to drink exceeds the $7 maximum allowed on the Signature Beverage Package.

Odds are, your situation is different. You should assess your drink consumption habits, your preferences, and your cruise's itinerary in order to determine if the SBP will be a good deal for you.

In terms of your itinerary: If it's port intensive, you will likely be off the ship more, and using the SBP less. If you have a large number of sea days, or you're visiting ports you've been to many, many times, giving you more time on board, your opportunities to use the SBP go up.

My recommendations: If you are a cocktail-only drinker and you plan to have 8 or more drinks every day, the SBP makes sense. If you drink cocktails and house wine and you drink 9 to 10 drinks / glasses of wine a day, the SBP is potentially a good value. If you only drink beer and you're good for around two six packs a day, the SBP likely makes sense for you.

On the other hand, if you only have a drink or two, or only have sodas, water, and specialty coffees, the SBP won't pay for itself.

If you are the type of person who likes to take care of everything before you get on the ship and not worry about what you spend as you go, the SBP might make sense from a convenience perspective.

If you do decide to purchase the SBP, either do it from the HAL website before you sail, or immediately upon boarding the ship. This should help you avoid most of the accounting issues we faced.

If you get the SBP for free, there is no doubt in my mind that it's a great deal, unless you simply don't drink anything that costs extra. In that case, all you get is a little gold card with your name on it. :)

If you would like to know what's included with the SBP - in other words, what you can get for under the $7 menu price limit, please refer to post #351 in this thread. Here's a quick link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42154126

First - I echo all the THANKS of previous posters. This is a huge help.

In one of the links you posted #347 - I was expecting the room beverage charges but I couldn't find them. Do you have any photo or list of available in-room beverages and charges?

And it may be a bit off topic - but what is the charge for a latte or cappucino?

First - I echo all the THANKS of previous posters. This is a huge help.

In one of the links you posted #347 - I was expecting the room beverage charges but I couldn't find them. Do you have any photo or list of available in-room beverages and charges?

You're quite welcome.

Can you give us some clarification on what you are seeking when you posted, "In one of the links you posted #347 - I was expecting the room beverage charges but I couldn't find them. Do you have any photo or list of available in-room beverages and charges?"

There's a really good chance that we have what you're looking for, but I just don't know what it is. Do you want a copy of the room service beverage menu, or are you looking to see what we ordered from our minibar? We have both, but I'm a little unclear as to what you are asking. Thanks!

UPDATE: If you are asking about the charges that we rec'd when the beverage POS was down, the answer is: "Yes. We have them." In our case, they were backed out once we caught them. In DSIL's case, it was kind of a mess. (That's why she says that the SBP sucks. I can see her point.)

Edited by POA1

Sorry about that - i meant..

Do you have a copy of the room service menu for drinks?

And if you have any info on the cost of a plain regular latte/cappucino (with no alcohol)... that would be great but I understand if it was out of scope for your research.

You're quite welcome.

Can you give us some clarification on what you are seeking when you posted, "In one of the links you posted #347 - I was expecting the room beverage charges but I couldn't find them. Do you have any photo or list of available in-room beverages and charges?"

There's a really good chance that we have what you're looking for, but I just don't know what it is. Do you want a copy of the room service beverage menu, or are you looking to see what we ordered from our minibar? We have both, but I'm a little unclear as to what you are asking. Thanks!

And if you have any info on the cost of a plain regular latte/cappucino (with no alcohol)... that would be great but I understand if it was out of scope for your research.

The specialty coffees were about $1.75 on up. The prices were lower than Starbucks in Fort Lauderdale by quite a bit.

I'll ask the interns to dig into the archives for the minibar menu. We didn't collect information on the cost of drinks delivered to the room. (If this is a thing, how did we miss it?)

:D

Edited by POA1

Hello, and first, thanks very much for the info and all the menus.

Great help in planning.

Taking our first Med cruise.

Noticing that the vast majority of the selections are not of European producers.

Would you think there any any changes to the selections offered there?

I believe the menus are standard whether your going to Alaska, St. Lucia or Rome.

So... Just buy a few bottles from France before we board... ? :)

Thanks

Thank you so much for your excellent research. There should be a Nobel Prize for such an effort.

CanuckonBoat asked about a room service menue for drinks. I am wondering if you have anything indicating the price and availability of bottles of scotch that might be ordered from room service for consumption in the room. We were on the NA in 2012 and discovered this was available. The only problem was they did not have the Dewars 12 that I prefer.

Thanks again for all the hard work. I've been reading these boards for many years and this is probably the first that I have read every post.

Thank you so much for your excellent research. There should be a Nobel Prize for such an effort.

CanuckonBoat asked about a room service menue for drinks. I am wondering if you have anything indicating the price and availability of bottles of scotch that might be ordered from room service for consumption in the room. We were on the NA in 2012 and discovered this was available. The only problem was they did not have the Dewars 12 that I prefer.

Thanks again for all the hard work. I've been reading these boards for many years and this is probably the first that I have read every post.

Thank you very much for your compliments. It means a lot to us.

The pre-order liquor lists on the HAL site do not reflect the whole of what one can order once one is on the ship. (Immediately after typing that, I can see how one might come across as pretentious. Oft times when one is typing, one does not realize/realise that one is being uppity. ;) )

As a general rule, you can order anything on the liquor list and have it delivered to your room. The pre-order list on the HAL site probably reflects the most popular selections. Once you're on the ship, the room service list gets larger.

The website pre-order list is as follows:

• Cutty Sark (US$36.25)
  • Johnny Walker Black (US$86.25)
  • Johnny Walker Red (US$41.25)
  • Dewar's White Label (US$55.00)
  • J&B Rare (US$41.25)
  • Ballentines (US$45.00)

The list of Scotch Whisky carried on our Noordam cruise was:

• Ballantine
  • Cutty Sark
  • Dewar's White
  • J&B
  • Johnnie Walker Red & Black
  • Chivas
  • Glenlivet
  • Laphroaig
  • Glenmorangie
  • Glenfidditch,
  • Damone
  • Macallan 12

I'm fairly sure that I spotted some Macallan 18 and 30 in the Ocean Bar. There was also a bottle of Auchentoshan and a Bowmore in the Crow's Nest. They're not on the regular lists, so it's sort of a treasure hunt. If you play your cards right, you might be able to score a very nice bottle of Scotch at a bargain price. I'm a Bourbon drinker and on occasion I've has some pretty rare, expensive whiskey rung up as "Jim Beam" because the unusual stuff wasn't in the POS system.

Hello, and first, thanks very much for the info and all the menus.

Great help in planning.

Taking our first Med cruise.

Noticing that the vast majority of the selections are not of European producers.

Would you think there any any changes to the selections offered there?

I believe the menus are standard whether your going to Alaska, St. Lucia or Rome.

So... Just buy a few bottles from France before we board... ? :)

Thanks

From what I understand, the wine lists are fairly standardized. (If anyone has more in-depth information, please feel free to add it.) HAL does a decent job of coming up with a representative list, but it definitely favors North America and Washington state and Oregon in particular.

If you have the opportunity to purchase wine and bring it on board, that probably makes the most sense.

The only problem was they did not have the Dewars 12 that I prefer.

As an additional data point - You may want to call guest services with your request. I would think that they'd be able to accommodate your request if they have sufficient lead time. The room service bottles are one liter bottles.

How this happened, I do not know... But we did not get a copy of the room service / minibar menu. We have some water, beer, and soda prices, but that's all.

We're totally ashamed. (Hanging head, looking sad.)

I couldn't find a copy of the room service /minibar menu on HALFacts.com, so if anyone has one to share, that would be great.

As an additional data point - You may want to call guest services with your request. I would think that they'd be able to accommodate your request if they have sufficient lead time. The room service bottles are one liter bottles.

Excellent idea! I'll try that.

Thank you.

All very helpful than you. I have decided against the SBP, my cruise will only have 2 sea days and I want to be able to order what I want rather then feeling constrained by the $7 limit.

There is also the danger that I would see the 15 drink rule as a target rather than a limit!

All very helpful than you. I have decided against the SBP, my cruise will only have 2 sea days and I want to be able to order what I want rather then feeling constrained by the $7 limit.

There is also the danger that I would see the 15 drink rule as a target rather than a limit!

While it's important to have goals, it's probably not a great idea to look upon the 15 drink limit as a daily challenge. ;)

Thanks SO much for all the great info! And fun to read! We are first time cruisers heading to Alaska in May. We don't have any SBP or beverage cards included in our package, bummer.

One question - if you order a bucket of beer and don't finish it at the place you bought it, can you take the rest to the next bar/show etc?