done with Azamara, now what?

mrs. jones

well, not really done, just for 2015. After sailing with Azamara since it's inception, we've done just about every itinerary that we want to and 2015 doesn't have anything that excites us. We also sail with Oceania but are wondering if there are other options with similar style, size and quality that might fill in gaps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Next logical step would be to check Seabourn.... IMHO

CC

We travelled on Seabourn for the first time in November. Yes, it was very nice and the cabins were fantastic, BUT, I thought that once I'd sailed on that line I would never want to sail on AZ again. WRONG. I still prefer AZ but I do agree with about the itineraries.

If you really want to look at other lines, I think you should consider Seabourn, Silverseas and Regent.

Who says you have to do another cruise?

After consecutive years of cruising we took a break and did a land vacation in interior Europe.

Rented a car and drove through Germany, Austria and Italy. Much to see that you can't on a cruise plus the experience of doing overnights to really get the feel of that locale.

mrs. jones,

Give me a couple days and I will get back with you with several unique itinerary's you can think about for 2014, 2015 and 2016.

At the end of 2015 we will be sailing from Indonesia to Australia and then at the start of 2016 the Quest will sail Australia and New Zealand. We will launch our 2016 itinerary's at the end of April.

Thank You, Raul Parquet

Azamara Club Cruises

Hi Joel. I was excited to hear the 2016 schedule is being released at the end of April as your previous post says. Does that include the summer 2016 sailings too? Do you have the date they go on sale? I like to plan ahead!! Many thanks.

After sailing with Azamara since it's inception

gasp.........its inception, not it's. Must have been the crisis of a cruiseless future that made me do it. Old teachers never die, they just cruise more.

Thank you Paul. We love Azamara but just can't find a fit this coming year. We'd love a British Isles itinerary but that seems to be a tough one to find. We are not retired and a 15 day itinerary is next to impossible at this time.

Thanks to all of you who have replied. checking Seabourn, Regent and Silverseas but we really want country club casual dress.

Another option worth exploring is a river cruise in Europe. Many itineraries, a variety of options in various price levels, and you are in a different town or city every day. We have done the Elbe, the Danube and the Rhine and loved them all. Most of these companies also do Asia cruising. I urge you to look into river cruising as an alternative to ocean cruises.

Here are some options for mrs jones and others. You might already be aware of these, but would like to bring them to your attention.

2014 -

Tuscany & Monaco Grand Prix - Journey 19 May

Normandy 70 years later - Journey 3 June

Loire & Bordeaux to Bilbao & Porto - Journey 20 August

A Southern Hemisphere Holiday - Journey 22 December

A Mediterranean Easter - Quest 11 April

Monaco Grand Prix - Quest 22 May

The Sea Road to Cathay, New Year's in Hong Kong - Quest 22 December

2015 -

Antarctica, Falklands & Patagonia - Journey 10 January

Rio Carnival & Buenos Aires - Journey 7 February

Monaco Grand Prix - Journey 21 May

Christmas & New Years in Costa Rica & Panama Canal - Journey 23 December

British Isles, Ireland, & The British Open at St. Andrews - Quest 4 July

British Open, Norway & North Cape - Quest 18 July

St.Petersburg, London & Sail Amsterdam Weekend Festival - Quest 13 August

Bali, Komodo & The Great Barrier Reef - Quest 22 December

Thank You, Raul Parquet

Azamara Club Cruises

well, not really done, just for 2015. After sailing with Azamara since it's inception, we've done just about every itinerary that we want to and 2015 doesn't have anything that excites us. We also sail with Oceania but are wondering if there are other options with similar style, size and quality that might fill in gaps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you can wait until 2019 then Virgin Cruises could possibly offer something enticing and different.

virgin-logo.jpg

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-04/will-virgins-cruise-ships-succeed-in-luring-cruise-virgins?campaign_id=yhoo

• 2 weeks later...

Try Sea Dream.

Only 112 passengers.

Best crew in the world.

Food divine.

Diverse itinerary.

Many AZ staff "cut their teeth" on SD (aint that right Larry, Johannes...).

It's a classic experience.

Fellow passengers nice too.

Just mention ho hum recommended Sea Dream and you will be served champagne free of charge all the long day.

Well good luck with whatever you choose.

We travelled on Seabourn for the first time in November. Yes, it was very nice and the cabins were fantastic, BUT, I thought that once I'd sailed on that line I would never want to sail on AZ again. WRONG. I still prefer AZ but I do agree with about the itineraries.

If you really want to look at other lines, I think you should consider Seabourn, Silverseas and Regent.

Im curious as to why after Seabourn you'd want to return to a (relatively) mass market AZ?

...who suggested that life can be experienced on land, & that is what we intend to do in 2015! We've had so many wonderful cruise experiences & now feel that we want to stretch our land legs in France - 3 weeks, Strasbourg to the Loire. We can't wait!

Granted it will be inconvenient to pack & unpack but still we think this will be great fun & we can't wait!

Whatever you choose to do, have a wonderful time!

Edited by shedridt
mistake!

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. While we have figured out the next step, I am also counting my blessing as I realize what a wonderful "problem" this is to have when the world is full of people struggling with profound challenges and tragedies.

In a real switch up, we will be celebrating our 30 wedding anniversary in '15 and are thinking of taking my sister and her family on a cruise. This will mean a return to mass market like Princess or RC because it has to be kid friendly. She has 18yr old twins, a 16 and 10 year old. We really want to do this but I am so struggling with heading to big ships and big crowds. Do any of you have ideas on this one? I really don't want to do anything over 2500 passengers but to get the wow factor for the kids I might have to bite the bullet. Gulp. Keep calm and sail on, auntie!

Im curious as to why after Seabourn you'd want to return to a (relatively) mass market AZ?

I just think there is something very special about Azamara. I can't explain it but I know many posters on these boards would agree.

It stems from the Captain and senior officers and radiates downwards.

I have also been on Silverseas and Crystal so have experienced the 'top end' lines.

I have just booked a cruise on Oceania (this will be a first time on this line). The booking was itinerary- driven.

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. While we have figured out the next step, I am also counting my blessing as I realize what a wonderful "problem" this is to have when the world is full of people struggling with profound challenges and tragedies.

In a real switch up, we will be celebrating our 30 wedding anniversary in '15 and are thinking of taking my sister and her family on a cruise. This will mean a return to mass market like Princess or RC because it has to be kid friendly. She has 18yr old twins, a 16 and 10 year old. We really want to do this but I am so struggling with heading to big ships and big crowds. Do any of you have ideas on this one? I really don't want to do anything over 2500 passengers but to get the wow factor for the kids I might have to bite the bullet. Gulp. Keep calm and sail on, auntie!

Mrs. Jones, as a mostly mass market cruiser, I would like you to expand your horizons to the "Huge" ship, RCCL's Allure or Oasis for your family cruise. Trust me, the only day it feels crowded is the first day. The children of all ages will love it. The sports deck is amazing, as well as zip lining! The flow rider is a big draw! The shows, the ice skating, and the Dive show, not to mention specialty music shows are wonderful. The food is okay, but the specialty restaurants are very good! We especially like the serve yourself soda machines! Our Granddaughter loved the Carousel

We are looking forward to our second booking on her.

In the meantime, we're looking to do the more inclusive experience in the Med. Maybe you can tell me why you like Azamara.

I hope your family cruise is great, how can it not! It's always a good time to cruise.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We too will be celebrating our 30th in 2015 and we're going on the 8 day Pacific Coast cruise on the Jewel of the Seas on Sept. 18th. Jewel is a Royal Caribbean ship so we get all our Azamara loyalty benefits transferred. And she's on the small side with lots of dark wood like the Azamara ships. All in all, it's a great itinerary on a great ship. And we already have a lively and wonderful Roll Call going. Check it out and maybe you can join us!!!

While we have never chosen one of the larger ships for just the two of us, we treated our family (kids, their spouses, and six grandchildren) to a cruise on Freedom of the Seas. To put it in a nutshell, they still talk about that trip...so if you're trying to make sure the kids have a great time, it could be the way to go. Also, I must say that, after Azamara, our expectations for food and service on Freedom of the Seas were low...not so...we had excellent service and found the food in the dining room to be very good. I did not care for the buffet at all...food wasn't anything but food, and there was a lot of jockeying around by those who feared they'd never eat again. I think you're just always going to see some of that on the MM lines. (However, some of my family enjoyed the buffet.) The MDR arranged for us to have the same large table and servers for the week, and those guys were exceptional!! Obviously the entertainment was superior to Azamara...that's not why we cruise, but, as they say, when in Rome... So, I'd say go for it if you're taking kids and younger people along, then go back to Azamara when it's just two of you!!

thanks so much for the great advice. Just booked Journey for the anniversary cruise next May (so much for being done!) which opens the door for the "kids rule" cruise whenever that happens.

Picky, I had no idea about the reciprocal deal with RCCL but it makes total sense. I'm thinking we may end up with them after all. Glad your family had so much fun. I'm inspired by your generosity of wallet and spirit!

Think about the Paul Gauguin in the South Pacific. We have done both their 7day and 14 day cruises and they were both absolutely wonderful. Only 380 passengers and a fantastic crew. Otherwise, Azamara is now also a favorite.:)

Think about the Paul Gauguin in the South Pacific. We have done both their 7day and 14 day cruises and they were both absolutely wonderful. Only 380 passengers and a fantastic crew. Otherwise, Azamara is now also a favorite.:)

Paul Gaugin also do Europe now. We were tempted but the timings just didn't work for us, so we're on the Quest.