Anchorage Stuff to do

stefndoug

We are getting into Seward by Cruiseship and so far I am looking at Seward Bus Lines to get us to Anchorage as they leave at 2pm, which is perfect to check out Exit Glacier before heading to Anchorage. We don't have a credit card, so renting a car is out of the question. So, what are some inexpensive things to do in Anchorage? i am thinking about the Trolley, but how about any advise for a not too expensive tour of some glaciers by boat? We are going to be in Anchorage for 3 days, so we want to see stuff.

I would love any advise from anyone about what to see or if there is any other ideas about transfers from Seward to Anchorage that doesn't include the train as it is way too expensive.

Stefani

Three days in Anchorage without a rental car doesn't give you a lot of options. And you can rent a car without a credit card. But you will need a debit card and enough money in your account to cover the rental plus a deposit.

Give Avis Alaska a call directly and see if they can help you out: http://www.avisalaska.com/

If you still decide to forgo the rental car, you could do a Prince William Sound glacier cruise out of Whittier. You can get to Whittier via the Alaska Railroad.

You could also check out what Salmonberry Tours offers: http://www.salmonberrytours.com/summer/

Three days in Anchorage without a rental car doesn't give you a lot of options. And you can rent a car without a credit card. But you will need a debit card and enough money in your account to cover the rental plus a deposit.

Give Avis Alaska a call directly and see if they can help you out: http://www.avisalaska.com/

If you still decide to forgo the rental car, you could do a Prince William Sound glacier cruise out of Whittier. You can get to Whittier via the Alaska Railroad.

You could also check out what Salmonberry Tours offers: http://www.salmonberrytours.com/summer/

Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, I agree, we are limited without a rental car, but I read the fine print on a few rental car companies regarding debit cards and you need a large amount of money in your bank account (which we don't have)...so I guess we go with alternatives...better that than no Alaskan vacation LOL

Stefani

Where are you going to be staying in Anchorage? We do have a city bus service and I think we could come up with plenty for you to do in three days without costing an arm and a leg.

Have you considered spending a night or two in Seward. Seward is one of the best ports and everything is walkable. You could easily do a Kenai Fiords boat trip to glaciers. Hotels are a bit less expensive. We will be staying at the Breeze Inn or there are several B&Bs that are reasonably priced. You could also take one of the shuttle companies that give you a tour on the way to Anchorage with a few stops. The drive from Seward to Anchorage is really beautiful with so much to see.

Where are you going to be staying in Anchorage? We do have a city bus service and I think we could come up with plenty for you to do in three days without costing an arm and a leg.

Fairfield Inn, Midtown and yes, we plan on using the bus service. Also hoping to check out the trolly.

stefani

Have you considered spending a night or two in Seward. Seward is one of the best ports and everything is walkable. You could easily do a Kenai Fiords boat trip to glaciers. Hotels are a bit less expensive. We will be staying at the Breeze Inn or there are several B&Bs that are reasonably priced. You could also take one of the shuttle companies that give you a tour on the way to Anchorage with a few stops. The drive from Seward to Anchorage is really beautiful with so much to see.

Will check that out...we are only paying $50/night for our hotel in Anchorage, so not sure if I can beat that deal in Seward. Will see what I can find though. Thanks for the idea.

Stefani

Will check that out...we are only paying $50/night for our hotel in Anchorage, so not sure if I can beat that deal in Seward. Will see what I can find though. Thanks for the idea.

Stefani

Although it would be tough to "beat that" in Seward, are you basing your decisions solely on budget? I completely understand that everyone has a trip budget and must choose how best to use limited resources, but you are traveling a long distance to see Alaska. We enjoyed our couple days in Anchorage, but that was mostly because we rented a car and did a day trip to Matanuska Glacier and Hatcher Pass. Our favorite days were in Seward, where we visited Exit Glacier and did a Kenai Fjords cruise.

I am only suggesting that you do a bit more research into the best way for YOU to use your time and budget to see as much as possible that interestes you.

Fairfield Inn, Midtown and yes, we plan on using the bus service. Also hoping to check out the trolly.

stefani

It's not a trolly in the traditional sense. It's really a tour bus that looks like a trolly car on wheels. That have a set route they drive and it does not stop and pick up passangers. They sell the tour for it on 4 Ave. by the log cabin visitors center. Nice fellows that run it and a nice tour too.

Although it would be tough to "beat that" in Seward, are you basing your decisions solely on budget? I completely understand that everyone has a trip budget and must choose how best to use limited resources, but you are traveling a long distance to see Alaska. We enjoyed our couple days in Anchorage, but that was mostly because we rented a car and did a day trip to Matanuska Glacier and Hatcher Pass. Our favorite days were in Seward, where we visited Exit Glacier and did a Kenai Fjords cruise.

I am only suggesting that you do a bit more research into the best way for YOU to use your time and budget to see as much as possible that interestes you.

Budget is a huge part of this vacation...other than glaciers, we see this scenery all the time (we live in Vancouver, BC)...so we are mostly interested in glaciers and just relaxing. Plans are to visit Exit Glacier after we get off the ship. Wish we could rent a car, but we have no credit card and debit card can't work either because of the high deposit they require.

Thanks for the suggestions and I will do more research (I am the research queen LOL).

Stefani

It's not a trolly in the traditional sense. It's really a tour bus that looks like a trolly car on wheels. That have a set route they drive and it does not stop and pick up passangers. They sell the tour for it on 4 Ave. by the log cabin visitors center. Nice fellows that run it and a nice tour too.

Yup, I figured that out about the trolley, and to me that is a great way to see the city and get a bit of a tour.

Thanks,

STefani

if you have decent weather, consider renting bicycles and riding along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. You might see moose and bear nr Kincaid Park.

http://anchoragecoastaltrail.com/

I agree with the others tho, spend a nite in Seward. Look at the Seward city web site for lodging options. There are some reasonably priced B&Bs.

if you have decent weather, consider renting bicycles and riding along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. You might see moose and bear nr Kincaid Park.

http://anchoragecoastaltrail.com/

I agree with the others tho, spend a nite in Seward. Look at the Seward city web site for lodging options. There are some reasonably priced B&Bs.

Bike...that is a good idea.

I have a few emails out for things in Seward...might consider spending a night there first.

Stefani

Budget is a huge part of this vacation...other than glaciers, we see this scenery all the time (we live in Vancouver, BC)...so we are mostly interested in glaciers and just relaxing. Plans are to visit Exit Glacier after we get off the ship. Wish we could rent a car, but we have no credit card and debit card can't work either because of the high deposit they require.

Thanks for the suggestions and I will do more research (I am the research queen LOL).

Stefani

A good day trip from Anchorage to see some glaciers.

http://www.phillipscruises.com/

Lots of great ideas...thanks everyone...still not sure about Seward (as pricing seems a little high), but will keep browsing.

Stefani

The B&B's in town tend to run $150+ . The cheapest place I know of is Moby dicks Hostel. I think there are private rooms there for $75 with access to a kitchen. Probably a shared bathroom tho.

The B&B's in town tend to run $150+ . The cheapest place I know of is Moby dicks Hostel. I think there are private rooms there for $75 with access to a kitchen. Probably a shared bathroom tho.

Can't imagine going on vacation and sharing a bathroom LOL.

I think we will stick with Anchorage...got a great deal for a travel agent rate. Seems to be hard to find for Seward.

Stefani

Matanuska Glacier would be nice but its 2 hours north of Anchorage. A-1 Car Rental allows a rental with a debit card and a $300 deposit if you can swing that.

I will look into that...might be something we can swing.

Stefani