Onboard Marina now?

RJB

Is anyone who in on the Marina now posting? I have just read about the bad weather in New Zealand and would like to know how everyone in making out. We just came off in Sydney and left a number of people that we know on this segment to Auckland. Let us know if possible. Hope all is well and stay safe.

The Marina left Wellington and is on the way to PIcton on the fiords and sounds located on the northernmost tip of the South island. This most be an alternate stop due to the storms.

Never heard of Picton. Anything to do there? How long will they be there? The Marina is a wonderful ship and I am sure they will have enough to do aboard ship. We missed 2 ports on our May/June crossing and it really was no big deal. The weather was pretty calm but we do not know how it is in New Zealand. Hope someone that is on board posts this news.

Never heard of Picton. Anything to do there? How long will they be there? The Marina is a wonderful ship and I am sure they will have enough to do aboard ship. We missed 2 ports on our May/June crossing and it really was no big deal. The weather was pretty calm but we do not know how it is in New Zealand. Hope someone that is on board posts this news.

Picton is at the head of a long low inlet...hardly a fijord. The area is one of the centers for New Zealand lumber and wine. I good stop place in the "mussel boys" a road side eatery that has mussels every way you can dream. as they are raised in the coves there..

If for several days one can go over to several national parks and karst areas.

Mostly low hills and farming.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Sydney to Auckland cruise on the Marina - Feb 23, 2014.

We were diverted to Wellington for 3 days due to the storm. Missed both Milford Sound and Akaroa. They said the storm had 80 mph winds and was the worst storm of 100 years. It made the front page of the Wellington paper.

The road to Christchurch was flooded, roofs were blown off and the port of Akaroa was closed.

Disappointing in that we did not see the scenic part of the South Island.

Picton is on the very top of the South Island only across the Cook Strait from Wellington. No Fjords.

Picton is the gateway to the Marlborough/Blenheim area - the number one region in New Zealand for Wine.

I have a friend on the Marina now on the Auckland to Papeete trip. Do you know what type of weather they might be experiencing?

I have no idea but most likely fine.

The storm in NZ blew over when we went tp Picton.

I bet your friends are Pat and Denise.

I am Bonnie.

Bonbeak;

How bad where the seas when you did make the sail and how rough was it?

We didn't make the sail to the South Island so we missed the rough seas when we went to Wellington.

It was minor movement going to Wellington.

Thanks for the report Bonbeak. No, it is "Shelby."

We did that trip last year from Papeete, and really enjoyed it. We recomended it to our friend, and she booked it. She is usually on Regent, so I was hoping that everying on O would be perfect. :D

Spindrift:

My daughter and son in law are on this cruise. They report that the weather has been almost perfect. They have had a couple of choppy sea days, but still nice enough to sit by the pool. Today they are in Fiji. They are having a wonderful cruise. Don't worry about your friends!

Edited by emairs
Spelling.

Spindrift:

My daughter and son in law are on this cruise. They report that the weather has been almost perfect. They have had a couple of choppy sea days, but still nice enough to sit by the pool. Today they are in Fiji. They are having a wonderful cruise. Don't worry about your friends!

I was asking about the Sydney to Aukland trip, not the current one. Sounds like the weather is very good on this trip. Great