Single Rate ?

sassy~one

My wife and I were looking at some of the cheap weekend getaways to Ensenada. Inside cabins are going for around $250pp - what would stop us from each booking two adjoining cabins using the single supplement and opening the connector to give ourselves a mini-suite? I don't necessarily want to take advantage of the system, but this seems more reasonable if we are going to spend $700+ for a three night cruise to Ensenada. Thoughts?

My wife and I were looking at some of the cheap weekend getaways to Ensenada. Inside cabins are going for around $250pp - what would stop us from each booking two adjoining cabins using the single supplement and opening the connector to give ourselves a mini-suite? I don't necessarily want to take advantage of the system, but this seems more reasonable if we are going to spend $700+ for a three night cruise to Ensenada. Thoughts?

How would that be taking advantage of the system?

If the single suppliment is available I suppose you could do that, but I can't imagine much advantage to it other than an extra bathroom.

If the single suppliment is available I suppose you could do that, but I can't imagine much advantage to it other than an extra bathroom.

Uh...Maybe you don't know his wife. :eek:

Each person has their own closet, each has their own bathroom, one person could sleep while the other watches TV

I know the intention is to get individual cruisers onboard and not necessarily to give couples an extended cabin.

Is there some maritime law that I'm not aware of that couples are required to occupy the same cabin?

How do you know what Carnival's intentions are? How do you know giving couples extended cabins is not part of the plan?

Edited by MUTailG8

What are the disadvantages?

My thoughts exactly. Why wouldn't I want to extend the size of the room and give ourselves an extra bathroom? Those inside cabins are pretty small, it seems like a no brainer to double the size for the same price if allowed.

What are the disadvantages?

There are a couple of obstacles to overcome to actually do this. First, you have to be able to select your cabin with the rate and not a GTY. Second, there has to be connecting cabins available.

If you mean the no single supplement rate...its available to any solo cruiser.

I've sailed a lot of Carnival cruises, but I have only seen the single supplement as double the single passenger fare. The only advantage was not having double gratuties added to your bill.

I've sailed a lot of Carnival cruises, but I have only seen the single supplement as double the single passenger fare. The only advantage was not having double gratuties added to your bill.

Gratuities are per person and the same whether you're in a single cabin, double, triple, whatever.

Since last September I've taken advantage of no single supplement fares on 5 separate Carnival cruises out of Miami, Ft Lauderdale and San Juan.

Edited by MUTailG8

Wow. That's the first time that I have seen Carnival do that. Maybe I have missed certain specials like that before. I have the hardest time navagating the Carnival site. It seems to always be down or very slow.

Like I said above, it's been going on for over 6 months now.

Wow. That's the first time that I have seen Carnival do that. Maybe I have missed certain specials like that before. I have the hardest time navagating the Carnival site. It seems to always be down or very slow.

They started doing this last September.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1916211

It was a small number of sailings back then. Now it just keeps growing. They are doing everything they can to fill cabins, so finally we are getting to benefit from it as singles.

The downside is these just pop up after final payment, so you can't really plan ahead.

Edited by TwizzlersAddict

The list was updated yesterday on GoCCL but it appears they did not include any cruises into June in the latest update. Currently on select sailings through May.

I wouldn't expect as many sailings to be offered during the summer, but in the fall, when its hard to sell cabins there should be a ton.

The one thing I like about the carnival site is that you can put in the number of travelers. That will instantly show you the deals.

Edited by TwizzlersAddict

They started doing this last September. It was a small number of sailings back then. Now it just keeps growing. They are doing everything they can to fill cabins, so finally we are getting to benefit from it as singles.

The downside is these just pop up after final payment, so you can't really plan ahead.

That depends on what you consider "planning ahead." I almost never book a cruise more than 60 days out and most are less than 30, but right now I can book these solo fares up to April 28 out of Miami and Ft Lauderdale.

I wouldn't expect as many sailings to be offered during the summer, but in the fall, when its hard to sell cabins there should be a ton.

The one thing I like about the carnival site is that you can put in the number of travelers. That will instantly show you the deals.

There were so many last fall I nearly had a nervous breakdown trying to decide which ones to take. On the Freedom in December I took a 5 Day Western Caribbean Inside for $169, got off for four days then came back and did the same 5 Day itinerary in a single OV cabin for $189.

Last week I was on the Ecstasy for a 4 Day Western Caribbean in a sinlge aft OV for $182.

I just booked my family of five. We were going to do one cabin to save money. My PVP told us about getting another cabin for a small increase in price by booking as a single. She told me that because of all the new ships out, they are trying to fill cabins. Works for me.