Port Canaveral with toddler/preschooler

dasphr

We are cruising (on a budget) with my almost 3.5 year old daughter...one of our stops is Port Canaveral. I've heard there is nothing to do around the pier, so we either need to book an excursion (or make alternate plans) or stay on the ship. While she LOVES all things Disney, I don't want to spend the money to go to the parks for just a couple hours; I'd rather wait to make it a separate vacation when she gets a little older. I was thinking downtown Disney. So, my questions are: (1) will the Transfer excursion option for the parks take you to downtown Disney? (2) Is there a cheaper alternative (almost $200 for a ride into town seems a little crazy. I know it's over an hour away.) (3) What are some other budget friendly to-do suggestion?

TIA

We took our 3 to Cape Canaveral when they were 4,4 and 2. ( had to kill time before a LATE flight)

We only lasted about 3-3 1/2 hours, but it was really fun. They climbed in and out of capsules, cockpits, etc. Even the 2 year old had a great time.

Port Canaveral is such a dreadful stop, in my opinion. The beach was absolutely DISGUSTING there this summer, but that was in August. Dirty diapers and worse strewn about, mud-like sand...not what I would call a beach. I don't even know if NCL offers a tour there.

On RCL we met some folks who took the Disney bus to the Disney transportation center and then to Downtown Disney- the wife wanted to exchange a pair of earrings that had broken. She had purchased them earlier that year. Seems like too much effort for me!

I wish that I could offer better advice... or ANY advice!!

I would honestly say perhaps stay on the ship and enjoy the pool with a lot less people around. Might not be the most exciting option but certainly fits into cruising on a budget as your meals won't cost you anything, if you stay away from the for fee restaurants.

My kids were older (9, 9 and 11)when we were there so we did the airboat excursion and they loved it. Definitely cheaper than Disney. I agree with your though process of waiting to do Disney until your child is older and you can be there for longer.

We are cruising (on a budget) with my almost 3.5 year old daughter...one of our stops is Port Canaveral. I've heard there is nothing to do around the pier, so we either need to book an excursion (or make alternate plans) or stay on the ship. While she LOVES all things Disney, I don't want to spend the money to go to the parks for just a couple hours; I'd rather wait to make it a separate vacation when she gets a little older. I was thinking downtown Disney. So, my questions are: (1) will the Transfer excursion option for the parks take you to downtown Disney? (2) Is there a cheaper alternative (almost $200 for a ride into town seems a little crazy. I know it's over an hour away.) (3) What are some other budget friendly to-do suggestion?

TIA

If you take the cruise shuttle to Disney you can take Disney transportation to get to Downtown Disney. The cheaper alternative is renting a car and driving there yourself. Keep in mind there is not a lot o things for a little one at downtown disney.

We rented a car and went to NASA with my then 14 month old last Feb. he was nonplussed by it/ slept in his stroller for much of it, but I think a preschooler might like it, and not too expensive. It didn't work for us , but apparently you can also get free passes from your congressperson sometimes... Nasa involved a lot of walking around and looking at shuttles, there's a bus ride to the museum and we saw some small alligators and an eagle on the way, lol

We're you able to rent a car with carseats? Thanks.

Yes it wasn't a problem. Ive done it a few times in different locations.

We used the Hertz based on the local message board here. If you have AAA and use Hertz you get the car seat for free. If not i think its $10.

We are very diligent about car seats so i dropped my wife and our son at the ship and then returned the car and took the rental shuttle by myself.

It was maybe 5 minute ride to rental location.

Yes it wasn't a problem. Ive done it a few times in different locations.

We used the Hertz based on the local message board here. If you have AAA and use Hertz you get the car seat for free. If not i think its $10.

We are very diligent about car seats so i dropped my wife and our son at the ship and then returned the car and took the rental shuttle by myself.

It was maybe 5 minute ride to rental location.

Okay thanks! Car seats are also important to me. I know that in Florida the law is that 4 year olds can go with just seat belts and that is just CRAZY to me. I would never put my 4 year old in a carseat. Heck, i wont even put her in a booster, only a convertible. Same with my 3 year old so would need two convertibles. Thanks again!

I personally would stay on the ship and enjoy myself. If that wasn't a choice I would rent a car which is very simple and go to downtown Disney. I really like walking around there and having a sundae at Ghirardelli's. So yummy..... I love looking in the stores and the giant lego structures are awesome! Earl of Sandwich is a quick and fairly inexpensive place to eat. I do believe they are doing construction and remodeling the area so you might want to check into that. Be prepared, your daughter might just want you to buy her everything!!

Just want to put this out there. Having worked at Downtown Disney, (Portobello Italian Trattoria) great Italian restaurant, and driving from Deland to Lake Buena Vista daily you will be returning to the ship during rush hour. No traffic is about 1 hr 20 min. If you leave Disney after 4pm add another 20 min to the drive back to the ship, assuming you take The Beachline Fl 528 (tolls). most direct route to and from Disney to Port Canaveral. You will enjoy Downtown Disney, lots to do there for the youngsters.

On our Carnival Pride cruise, we rented a minivan from Hertz and went to Downtown Disney with my son when he was 2.5. It was a great day and plenty of Disney for him. Since we had driven to our departure port, we brought our own car seat, but they were available to rent from Hertz.

I was off the ship as soon as they opened the doors and caught the first shuttle to the rental car office, then returned to the ship for the rest of my family. We enjoyed shopping, a few "pay as you go" rides (mini train, carousel) in the downtown Disney area, ate lunch at Wolfgang Puck Express and shared a sundae at Ghiradelli. Everyone had a great time.

Heading back to the port took a tad longer due to traffic (about and hour 20). I dropped the family off at the ship, then returned the car and caught the last shuttle back. If I'd missed the shuttle, it would not have been difficult to get a cab back instead.

This ended up being a very affrodable day, I think I got the rental mini-van for $25 with a coupon.

I dropped the family off at the ship, then returned the car and caught the last shuttle back. If I'd missed the shuttle, it would not have been difficult to get a cab back instead.

This is a good point, the last shuttle was a few hours before ship left. I had to get a cab but its real easy to do/get.

If you want to stay closer to the beach, hop a 10 minute cab ride to the public beach by the Ron Jon/4 Points Sheraton. Great, easy spot for some quick sand and sea time. Even has a public shower spot to wash off the sand and great shopping at Ron Jon.

If you take the cruise shuttle to Disney you can take Disney transportation to get to Downtown Disney. The cheaper alternative is renting a car and driving there yourself. Keep in mind there is not a lot o things for a little one at downtown disney.

Well, I've been to Disney will be 26 times this Sept and I happen to slightly agree however op if you are set on doing something Disney go, do make sure to bring a stroller..Cheapest way I think would be to rent a car.We have a compact for $30.In downtown Disney there are an endless array of shops and eateries, best delicious eatery to me and my family is Wolfgang pucks express..If you want cheaper, try Earl of sandwich, after window shopping.You can always let the little one go to goofy's candy shop to make a rice crispy treat, (kids love that shop!)or share an ice cream sundae at Ghiradelli.

If you want more to do, hop on one of the free disney transportation buses, and head over to see some of the Disney hotels a great choice would be the Animal kingdom lodge to view the animals..Or, the new Animation hotels where there are huge replicas of the movies like the Little Mermaid, Cars, or the Lion King.End the day buying a plush.. Hth..Enjoy!

Edited by mylife4Jesus

There is also a splash/water play area in downtown disney. So bring a change of clothes, if you choose to go. Animal kingdom lodge is amazing. They have story tellers and people teaching songs with instruments. Not to mention the animal viewing. You could also do a character meal at one of the resorts(make sure you make an ADR for it) and ride the monorail around and visit resorts. Fort wilderness campgrounds has a petting area, horse rides and archery.

I think we're leaning toward renting a car and driving to downtown Disney. Sounds like there will be a lot of things my daughter would absolutely love. AAA seems to have good rates at Hertz and the booster seat would be free. If anyone knows of better rates, please let me know...we're looking at about $50-$60 once taxes are added.

We have been in Port Canaveral three times with the Grandkids above who are 5 and 6 now. What we do each time is the same because they love it. We rent a car mostly from Avis for about $50. We bring our own car seats with us. Drive to Lone Cabbage Fish camp. do an airboat ride with them.

http://twisterairboatrides.com/

old Florida.

eat lunch there and then drive to Cocoa Beach and then back to the boat(after dropping off the car then they drive us back to the Boat).

I bring my own GPS too...

I would never take them to Disney that way. We will stay at Disney when we do that for a few days.

As for NASA, they are still too young...IMO

TIA

we rent a car from budget and they pick you up at the cruise ship and drop you off its 84.00 for the day but that's the best way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

a few years ago we did a family vacation in Orlando -- we did not do Disney but did do Disney Town. My son and I took took the 3 year old to Down Town Disney. Not much for a little one to do -- mostly shops.

May I suggest a nice little beach in Port Canaveral. It is Jetty Park. you can get off the ship and grab a cab for about $5.00 a person. To get in the beach is free. In December we went there with our 7 and 5 year grandchildren. the beach is nice and flat, there is a fishing pier, bathrooms, snack bar, playground, you can rent chairs a little shop with suveniers. You can rent fishing tackle. We have seen dolphins, pelicans, sea turtles, manatee, osprey.

The cabbies sometime s question you because it is off the beaten track and they cannot do a pick up when they drop you off.

We always go there. NCL docks about 11am. We have lunch, wait for the first rush of people getting off the ship and then head over there for a couple of hours. I get my beach day and it is not a lot of hassle.

214589019_Jettypark.jpg.663791695e933266347b9c65b12f70ff.jpg